BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 17h, 16m | CPU: 36% | MEM: 6100MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: ANOTHER PICTURE! - Windows 7 Paint and WordPad        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:53 pm 
Donator

Source: http://uxevangelist.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... i-new.html

Windows 7 Paint and WordPad: New UI, New Functionality

Yes, both Paint and WordPad have finally received the royal treatment. Via permission given to me to remotely access build 6780 to play around a bit, Paint and WordPad both look great and have much-needed updates. I've got to work within the permissions granted to me by my source and unfortunately, screenshots don't fall within those permissions (yet), so you all will still have to wait to actually see this stuff. (Don't worry, there is a LOT of chatter about this build going around by people who have it. I can't help but think the next week or two will be quite fruitful for the community in terms of information, screenshots, and perhaps the build even leaking if someone is brazen enough. Just beware the wrath of Sinofsky if any of you dare the latter of the aforementioned choices...) Something I have been given the liberty to do is give a very broad teaser explanation of Paint and WordPad in their current 6780 state, so here goes.

MS Paint: In terms of functionality, imagine a software somewhere between the currently-existing MS Paint and the wonderful Paint.NET freeware application. Make everything accessible through a ribbon bar (tabs 'n all) ala Office 2007 and voila. Even remoted in, the performance was quite nice. All of you users who love MS Paint but still need a second photo editing application just to do that one thing or two that Paint won't do (like working with transluscent/transparent .png files)will be delighted to know that you may very well no longer need said second application. Bear in mind that this is MS Paint as it currently exists in a milestone 3 build OS not scheduled to be completed until mid to late 2009, so a lot could still change between now and then. Long story short, regardless of what changes, rest assured that MS Paint is going to be the cat's pajamas!

WordPad: Basically, imagine Microsoft taking Office 2007 Word, slimming it down, tweaking the ribbon bar UI a bit, and calling it WordPad. While not as functional as Office 2007 Word (hence, the "slimming it down" mention), this version of WordPad is coming along nicely. It's much easier to perform tasks such as adding a picture, editing text (I know this seems like a very generic mention, but trust me when I say that everything you do to edit text is made much more accessible thanks to the ribbon bar), and even cooking up your own drawings right there in a document. Office 2007 document converter no longer needed to view .docx files? Perhaps. =) Just wait until you get your hands on this build. Many of you will have a field day.

Well, that's it for now. I know all of that is just generic info and I really wish I was at liberty to say and show more at this point, but I'm not. Trust me, I'm as excited as the rest of you to actually install this build locally, so... even if it's not until after PDC, the excitement and anxiety is definitely there!

All @ Microsoft: Keep it up! Personally, I think 7 is shaping up to be one hell of product thus far. You guys and gals are doing a phenomenal job!

Update!

MitzaInsane has found a picture from here: http://uxevangelist.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... nt-ui.html

Quote:
Just a couple of hours after writing my little general overview of the new Paint and WordPad in Windows 7, some anonymous kind soul slid a screenshot my way of Paint to share with all of you wonderful readers of my blog! In conjunction with what I wrote below, the screenshot tells it all and should get some of you fairly excited to see the rest of this build. Blah, blah, blah... I'll save the blabber for another post. =)

MiztaInsane wrote:

Update 2!

Xammer has found a picture from here: http://uxevangelist.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... ad-ui.html

Quote:
Let me start by saying I am extremely grateful to the people who are giving me the opportunity to post this information. I'm not one for acting over-priviledged, so let me clarify that I'm just a medium here. I don't know who the people are behind these screenshots, but as far as I'm concerned, all the credit goes to them, so, thank you, whoever you are!

This time, I'm able to bring you a screenshot of the WordPad UI. As you can see, it essentially looks just like Word 2007. These two screenshots show that the ribbon UI is indeed making its way into even the most basic applications of Windows as Bill Gates stated it would earlier in the year. How useful that implementation will be in the end won't be fully determined until Windows 7 goes gold, but for now, it's cool to see their ideas being implemented up to this point. What do you think about the continuity of the ribbon UI being used in Windows 7? I've mainly seen 2 types of opinions up until now and they're both the extremes of one another; people either love the ribbon bar or they despise it. See my write-up a couple of posts down to make the link between my previous notation of generalized specifics and this screenshot. For the record, .docx files are not yet supported. I certainly hope they are by 2009/2010. Anyway, onward to the screenshot!

Xammer wrote:
New screenshot of WordPad:

Last edited by QuiescentWonder on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:11 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I feel sorry for Microsoft as Paint.Net and AbiWord have already been made...
Their efforts at making hype about Windows 7 are making me laugh...

It feels like they are making VISTA ME

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Well, i think they've just changed their strategy about adding features...
Remember old Longhorn? They have thrown everything inside in hope they will be able to fix eventual (no, propably minor would be better word) bugs later... But it has failed, hasn't it?
I suppose they plan adding more & more stuff but want to focus on one thing and make it as they would like to see it in retail before adding another...
If they are doing as i think, than .net 3663-based Longhorn was good lesson for them.
If not, then i agree with Frozenport...

EDIT: Can anyone disclose the full buildtag? What's up with hiding them?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:08 pm 
Donator

I disagree. You should feel sorry for Paint.NET and ABIWord because they are going to loose users now that better functionality is built into Windows. Personally, I wouldn't feed sorry for anyone, it's just software. Besides, do you think that these are the only updates to Windows? Just because this is all that we know about at this point doesn't mean that nothing else is different. The only thing we've seen is some milestone 1 build from last year and some talk about two updated applications in milestone 3. Microsoft is keeping everything under wraps because everyone thought pre-RTM Windows Vista builds were shitty. Now everyone thinks Windows 7 is going to be bad without even knowing anything about it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:22 pm 
FTP Access

QuiescentWonder wrote:
I disagree. You should feel sorry for Paint.NET and ABIWord because they are going to loose users now that better functionality is built into Windows. Personally, I wouldn't feed sorry for anyone, it's just software. Besides, do you think that these are the only updates to Windows? Just because this is all that we know about at this point doesn't mean that nothing else is different. The only thing we've seen is some milestone 1 build from last year and some talk about two updated applications in milestone 3. Microsoft is keeping everything under wraps because everyone thought pre-RTM Windows Vista builds were [censored]. Now everyone thinks Windows 7 is going to be bad without even knowing anything about it?

truuue, but...

AbiWord and Paint.NET are available now, or at least the last time I checked.

Windows 7 will be better, but it's going to take alot more than "a cool new UI" to win over the hearts of users

EDIT: forgot one last comment... I'm glad Microsoft is giving Wordpad and Paint their long deserved updates

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:58 am 
Donator

ToastyCheesy wrote:
it's going to take alot more than "a cool new UI" to win over the hearts of users

It's not just cool, it's easier to use, we can assume it looks better, and they've added new functionality. What exactly they've done, no one who can talk about it knows. I was just pointing out that's it's no use taking sides yet, we practically know nothing about it. Word and Paint haven't been updated in a decade, maybe longer. I'm glad they're finally getting an update, and hopefully all of the other long un-updated programs as well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:28 am 
FTP Access

Hey, nice mock-up.

I surely do hope the ribbon won't be the ONLY view, I personally dis-like it, and it's the only reason why I use Office 2003, if, any MS office at all.

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:23 am 
Donator

ToastyCheesy wrote:
Hey, nice mock-up.

I surely do hope the ribbon won't be the ONLY view, I personally dis-like it, and it's the only reason why I use Office 2003, if, any MS office at all.

That picture came from this site
What makes you say it is a mock-up, There is no reason not to trust this screenshot.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:33 pm 
FTP Access

hmm, well, my lack of research is what made me decide at first

oops :o

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:10 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
The new Movie Maker looks very similar to the new Paint.....

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Daniel wrote:
The new Movie Maker looks very similar to the new Paint.....

Nice, where does this screen come from? :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:41 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
From me :P

The Windows Live Movie Maker Beta is included in the newest Windows Live Wave 3 Beta installer

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Oops, right, at first place i thought it was from Windows Seven...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:05 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Yeah, when I run it I thought exactly the same first....

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
Cool from microsoft that they do this! Hope a windows 7 version with this will leak soon (or will be given on de PDC).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista SP1

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:30 pm 
Donator

Xammer wrote:

*snip*

Oh no. Looks like the requirement of Office is fading...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:21 am 
Donator

i'm sure the new version of wordpad will just be like the wordpad now except with a new interface, i doubt any new features will be added as that would start to defeat the point of buying office

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Why would it? The original Windows Write was functionally identical to Word for DOS. By updating the WordPad program to be more useful and more capable, they are making a useful tool that would remove the need to install seperate software (unless, like me, you are an OOo user). Also, by doing that, they are showing faith that if people like the new interface and features, it might encourage people to buy Office. Almost like a cutdown trial release of Word.

Then again, if Windows utilities begin to get to tens of megabytes, then I'm going back to DOS. Forever. Utilities needn't be bigger than one or two meg.

I hope we can get it soon. If it's not timebombed like M1, I'm going to multiboot it with Vista, and use it from time to time, just to see exactly how complete it is.

Are they dropping support for Win16 and DOS programs? I know they did that for Vista64, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the next system after Longhorn (shows how long ago it was I read it) would include no legacy support.

I would be tempted, in their position, to include a Win16 virtual machine that would be included with the OS. Just a program that would run a cut-down version of Windows 3.11 or whatever (say, just the Window Manager and what's required of the kernel), but that would be capable of running Win16 and DOS programs. You know, runs them on the desktop, not in a window (think VirtualBox running XP and Additions) - and using the Win16 window style and colour scheme. The system would be optional, but a free extension to the OS.

Actually, that sounds like a good idea for a project to do myself. I know it's do-able, anyway...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
marktuson wrote:
Are they dropping support for Win16 and DOS programs? I know they did that for Vista64, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the next system after Longhorn (shows how long ago it was I read it) would include no legacy support

I don't think that's the case, the first OS to have no Win16 support will be the first OS to be x64-only as far as I know.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]