BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 23h, 15m | CPU: 66% | MEM: 2092MB of 4247MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Mary Jo Foley Gets a Look at Windows 7 Build 6780 (M3)        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:48 pm 
Donator

Source: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1590

I have seen the future — specifically Windows 7 Milestone 3 (Build 6780).

I got a gander at the latest test build of Windows 7 briefly (courtesy of a source of mine) and was not allowed to take any screenshots. But it is real, it does exist and it is, indeed, in certain testers’ hands inside and outside the company.

From the quick glimpse I got of Milestone 3, it sounds like Bryant of AeroXperience was right on the money with his hypotheses about what’s changed in the latest internal test builds. The latest build seems quite stable. The Ribbon user interface from Office 2007 is now part of WordPad and Paint. Home Groups — the functionality formerly known in “Longhorn”/Vista as “Castle” — is part of the new Windows 7 build.

I also noticed that the “Graphical Console,” a k a PowerShell Version 2, seems to be part of the latest pre-release Windows 7 build.

(Looks like Stephen Chapman over at the UX Evangelist site got to see Build 6780, too, and has a lot more to say on Windows 7’s Paint and WordPad.)

From what admittedly little I had a chance to see, Windows 7 does not look or feel like a major departure from Windows Vista.

Sources say there isn’t an “M4″ currently on Microsoft’s Windows 7 schedule. Next up is likely some kind of preview build (which may or may not be distributed to those attending the Professional Developers Conference and/or Windows Hardware Engineering Conference in October and November, respectively.) After that, a broadscale Beta 1, which should be feature-complete and pretty much set in stone, is expected for mid-December.

Like my ZDNet blogging colleague Ed Bott said, it’s not impossible for Microsoft to hit a 2009 release for Windows 7 if the first true beta doesn’t go out until December. Such a move would not be unprecedented.

Do you think the Softies are going to get Windows 7 out the door in 2009, as they are hoping — and maybe even early enough to make it onto new machines in time for Holiday 2009 sales?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:26 pm 
Donator

Really does make you wonder if it's more of a Vista R2 instead of an OS worthy of a new name.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:35 pm 
Donator

Windows 7 is problary a minor update to Vista like Leopard is to Tiger

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:05 pm 
Donator

Microsoft releases a major update of Windows, like XP to Vista was, and then they release a minor update, like Vista to Windows 7 will be. That's how it works. The release after Windows 7 will be a major release.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:53 pm 
Donator

Eh, I wouldn't really agree with that. ME->XP was a big big shift and XP->Vista was a big big shift. If all that's new to 7 are some nicer apps some unbundling and better networking then it's definately more of a Vista R2 instead of a totally differently branded OS. I hope bigger changes are in store or I probably won't see any need to upgrade...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:15 am 
FTP Access

XP was not really an upgrade to Me, XP followed on from 2000 - Me was the last version of Windows 9x which is really a different product line altogether, although a lot of home users would still (perhaps incorrectly) view XP Home as being the next version of Me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:31 am 
Donator

I'm pretty sure most people would agree that XP (Home) was the next home version of Windows after ME, while XP Pro was the next business version after 2k...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:35 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
Resplendent wrote:
I'm pretty sure most people would agree that XP (Home) was the next home version of Windows after ME, while XP Pro was the next business version after 2k...

And it is, at least partially, Me was still DOS based, where as 2k and all XP versions were NT based, so in reality even the home version of XP is closer related to the business os line than it is to the old dos based home line.

With any luck we will get a build very similar to this at PDC, or, even better, a newer build with even more UI changes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:49 am 
Permanently Banned

I don't see how Leopard was such a small update, if anything leopard->snow leopard is small and not worth it. XP was atleast worth an upgrade from 2k or ME.

On another note, that [censored] mary-jo bitch looks retarded and needs to die.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:55 am 
Donator

Zimmy wrote:
I don't see how Leopard was such a small update, if anything leopard->snow leopard is small and not worth it. XP was atleast worth an upgrade from 2k or ME.

On another note, that [censored] mary-jo bitch looks retarded and needs to die.

Leopard made changes mostly to it's UI. New program and fetures were added along with improving the GUI.

The basic structure from Tiger remainds mostly unchanged. Drivers remain compatabile and system settings had little change either. I would consider it as a minor update, but not a small update. Snow leopard on the other hand needs alot of work or it won't sell for sure.

Windows 7 doesn't have to be big, but a prefect fix for Vista. Users aren't looking for a completely new OS, but a more useable OS than Vista.

MS is know to run into problems during late development, early 2010 is mostly be the release date.
A very stable perview build sounds good for MS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:31 am 
Donator

XDude wrote:
Windows 7 doesn't have to be big, but a prefect fix for Vista. Users aren't looking for a completely new OS, but a more useable OS than Vista.

The problem with this being if MS releases 7 as a "more stable Vista with a few more features" it's a big "fu*k you" to all of us who've paid up the ass already just getting Vista, only for a "Vista 2" that's much more stable (basically how Vista should've been in the first place) to come out. But heck, if it's only 50$ to upgrade from Vista I'd be ok with it...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:02 am 
Donator

Resplendent wrote:
Eh, I wouldn't really agree with that. ME->XP was a big big shift and XP->Vista was a big big shift. If all that's new to 7 are some nicer apps some unbundling and better networking then it's definately more of a Vista R2 instead of a totally differently branded OS. I hope bigger changes are in store or I probably won't see any need to upgrade...

You don't have to agree, it's not my opinion. That's the way it is. Also, you forgot about Windows 2000, which is what XP was based on. Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 was the huge leap and a different product line. We can only assume Microsoft released Windows ME to further continue support for all the consumer products that would have stopped working had Windows 2000 not been exclusively a business product. Windows "Millenium" was actually planned to be Windows NT, who knows what happened. Microsoft even announced that Windows 98 was the LAST in the DOS based line of Windows in 1998. Also read here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1546

Quote:

XP Home and XP Pro are the same thing, XP Home just has some features disabled (advanced file sharing, domain support, etc.) and a different "Windows XP" background. You can ask the average user, even people who have been using XP since it was released, and most of them can't name a single difference between XP Home and Pro, they all just say "Pro is better".

Quote:
The problem with this being if MS releases 7 as a "more stable Vista with a few more features" it's a big "fu*k you" to all of us who've paid up the ass already just getting Vista, only for a "Vista 2" that's much more stable (basically how Vista should've been in the first place) to come out. But heck, if it's only 50$ to upgrade from Vista I'd be ok with it...

Well, i suppose if you wanted to wait another three years for Vista that would be fine. The word stable is overused, although it may be. How often does Vista become unstable for you or anyone you know? Do you know how many more features it will have? Have you been reading about what's going to change in Windows 7? Again, we don't know [censored] about it, no one has even seen it for months now, and people are already complaining.

Last edited by QuiescentWonder on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:35 am 
Donator

Quote:
You don't have to agree, it's not my opinion. That's the way it is. Also, you forgot about Windows 2000, which is what XP was based on.

I attempted to clear that up with my next post.

Quote:
XP Home and XP Pro are the same thing, XP Home just has some features disabled (advanced file sharing, domain support, etc.) and a different "Windows XP" background.

Not disagreeing with that.

Quote:
Well, i suppose if you wanted to wait another three years for Vista that would be fine. The word stable is overused, although it may be. How often does Vista become unstable for you or anyone you know? Do you know how many more features it will have? Have you been reading about what's going to change in Windows 7? Again, we don't know [censored] about it, no one has even seen it for months now, and people are already complaining.

I'm a big proponent of Vista over XP, but I'll be the first to admit it has its issues. And I obviously know as much as you do about it, but since that's all we have to go on, that's my opinion. Once we learn more, I'm sure my opinion will change. I'm not trying to sound prematurely whiny, I'm just calling it like I see it at the moment.

Basically I just hope Windows 7 isn't the Service Pack that Vista should be getting instead of a new, separate OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:52 am 
Donator

Yeah, sorry to come off so offended. I work on computers and people ask me what I think about Windows Vista all the time. I won't lie, I tell them that it has some annoying things but for the average user they shouldn't notice any differences other than the theme and the shutdown button. Most people are expecting me to say that it's complete [censored] and that I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, because that's what they've been told by the knowledgeable Joe-Schmo. Most people look at me like I'm crazy when I say that. I guess I've just come to assume that everyone jumps to conclusions prematurely.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:16 am 
Donator

Indeed, most "Vista haters" haven't a clue what they're talking about. Having used Vista (Home Premium/Ultimate) for over a year now, I've probably been 95% satisfied with it. The people who've never used it and just jump on the anti-Vista bandwagon [censored] me off to no end.

I'm very excited to see how 7 finally shapes up, and there's obviously many months ahead to see the end product, so a lot will undoubtedly change between now and then. All I really want is a great OS that I can afford to upgrade to.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:23 am 
Donator

Yeah, hopefully the upgrade isn't some ungodly amount of money. I'll probably just end up buying a new laptop at that point though, this one will be going on, I think, four years old at that point.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]