BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 4h, 21m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 2209MB of 3605MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: First Windows 7 TAP (Technology Adoption Program) Build?        Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:26 pm 
Donator

Lot's of Windows 7 news lately. Hopefully we'll actually see something soon.

Source: http://uxevangelist.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... ption.html

According to a user by the nickname, "seveninsider" on AeroXP, build 6780 has gone out to the very, very select number of TAP customers. Usually designated for large companies and colleges, the TAP program is the mother of trust between Microsoft and whoever they accept. Members of a TAP receive very early builds of whichever program they're accepted for. (There are various TAPs... Windows, Office, etc.) Anyway, though it's very, very little to go by at the moment, "seveninsider" left a very miniscule teaser in addition to a couple of tidbits of information:

"...it has some nice new features that are not yet publicly known and major improvements to some old friends (WordPad, Paint, Calculator)... They also seem to have worked on the performance-side quite a bit... (I am running it inside Virtual PC 2007). This might also be the build that gets distributed at PDC an WinHec in October, who knows...."

With PDC right around the corner, it very well could be. With Microsoft undoubtedly thinking about the PDC build, it would make sense to gather all the information they could from TAP testers prior to compiling the PDC build.

That's it for now. Oh, and here's the teaser he left: Image

Update: This is the real deal. Paul Thurrott has written a little entry regarding some of what he knows and has heard. It matches with things I've heard as well. Check out his article here.

Paul Thurrot's article below

Source: http://windowsitpro.com/windowspaulthur ... ows-7.html

While Microsoft is busy trying to overcome consumer opinions of its current operating system, Windows Vista, the software giant is also undergoing an internal effort to beta test the next version, called Windows 7. Last week, the company began testing an internal version of the software that it hopes to ship to attendees of its Professional Developers Conference (PDC) in late October. This build has shipped to Microsoft employees and, reportedly, close partners of the company.

The build, which is referred to internally as M3 for "milestone 3," reveals a product that is very much like Windows Vista both visually and functionally. Microsoft has ported the "ribbon" user interface from Office 2007 to a number of bundled applications. As previously reported, Microsoft has tasked the team that created the ribbon UI with updating the Windows shell as well.

External reports have suggested that Microsoft will begin de-bundling certain applications--like Windows Mail and Windows Movie Maker--from Windows 7 and will instead make them available as separate downloads from Windows Live. Also, some have suggested that Microsoft will ship a Beta 1 version of Windows 7 by the end of the year.

I can't confirm those rumors. But I have talked to people with access to the M3 build, or build 6780, and they've reported that this version of Windows 7 is surprisingly stable and usable, and well ahead of where Windows Vista was at this point in its development cycle.

More information as it comes in.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
7 Ultimate 64bit
good find :) and evil tease :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:37 am 
FTP Access

I hate these leaks, but love them too! The teasers!

Guess it just builds up the excitement! lol. Am looking forward to the release and this article has made me think.

The ribbon would be awesome in programs such as Paint etc (which this says will be updated). I like that the windows shell is getting looked at, although I don't want my taskbar taking over my screen! So don't over do it, I say!

De-bundling is a great idea, let users download the programs if they want to. Maybe just have links to download sites - like WLM in Vista. This way its a smaller OS and the choice is given to the user. Also, I'm sure the EU Competitions guys will be happier about it too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:54 am 
Donator

I think they will ship a different build to the attendees at PDC.
It could be the same build number, but recompiled many times.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:30 am 
Donator

The TAP program is offered on Connect still.

It is a lot of work & commitment though.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]