BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 2h, 56m | CPU: 47% | MEM: 1828MB of 3143MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows 7: Beta 1 tracking for mid-December        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:40 am 
Donator

Source: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1582

Microsoft is on tap to talk publicly about and show off Windows 7 at two of its upcoming tech conferences this fall. But that does not mean the Windows team necessarily will be distributing bits at those shows.

Along with many other Microsoft watchers, developers and customers, I have been assuming Microsoft was going to provide attendees of its late October Professional Developers Conference (PDC) – or at least its early November Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC) — with early Windows 7 bits. But according to new information I’ve received from sources that have asked not to be named, Microsoft is not planning to make Beta 1 of Windows 7 available until mid-December.

A small and select group of testers already have gotten their hands on Windows 7 builds. Microsoft has released two M (”milestone”) designated Windows 7 builds (M1 and M2), plus various interim updates, to select customers and partners who have been sworn to secrecy. And the Windows client team is in the midst of putting finishing touches on M3, I hear.

But Beta 1? Currently it’s not in the cards for Microsoft to release this code to testers until a week before Christmas, according to folks claiming to be privvy to Microsoft’s Windows 7 schedule.

Might there be some kind of pre-beta — something like a Community Technology Preview (CTP) build — that Microsoft will deliver to a broader set of private testers than those currently getting regular internal builds? No customers or partners with whom I have chatted with seem to know for sure. But the consensus seems to be not to expect Microsoft to distribute Windows 7 bits more widely until the Windows 7 is feature-complete or very nearly so.

On September 10, Microsoft acknowledged that it plans to use its Connect site to sign up potential Windows 7 testers at some point. From a posting to the Windows 7 Engineering blog by Christina Storm, a program manager on the Windows Customer Engineering feature team:

“When we release the Windows 7 beta we will also be collecting feedback from this (Windows Feedback) panel and asking for participation from a set of Windows 7 beta users.Our current plans call for signing up for the beta to happen in the standard Microsoft manner on http://connect.microsoft.com. Stay tuned!”

If Microsoft does release Beta 1 of Windows 7 in mid-December, that will mean the company is aiming to deliver the final Windows 7 product less than a year after the official beta begins. (As I’ve noted previously, Microsoft has said, publicly and privately that late 2009 is the target date for shipping Windows 7. The “you can’t claim we’re late” date remains the first part of 2010.)

Would a less-than-year-long beta (for what Microsoft is calling a “major” Windows release) be unprecedented? Not really. Short betas of products pretty much cast in stone aren’t unusual from the Office team, from which current Windows engineering chief Steven Sinofsky hails.

What’s your take? Is a less-than-year-long beta long enough for Windows 7? Is December 2008 early enough for you to start kicking the tires of a product expected to ship in the latter half of 2009?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:08 am 
FTP Access

Great find!

I will be keeping a close eye on the connect website, but I assume when it does come out hopefully we'll get a few people uploading here? It'll be a nice little Christmas present for all us interested beta testers anyway!

Personally on the timeframe for testing; I think that less-than-a-year is enough, if and only if Mircrosoft acknowledges and responds to suggestions given to it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:48 am 

Maybe they send DVD to me :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:52 am 
FTP Access

haha that'd be nice :) i think you'd have a lot of requests for an upload or for an iso of the disc!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:22 am 
Donator

Casey_boy wrote:
haha that'd be nice :) i think you'd have a lot of requests for an upload or for an iso of the disc!

it doesn't mean he will get it for sure, cause MS is trying to keep Windows 7 away from the public
but once its out there, it will leak, you don't have to worry or make requests

second, I'm not sure how the beta program on connect is going to run, but I'm sure they won't make it an open beta that anyone could join. They might invite all Windows Vista testers back, or invite a fraction of those tester or they might just invite some group of people.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:23 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
does that include Windows Vista RC testers? I beta tested RC1 :P (I lost the ISO)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:18 pm 
FTP Access

maybe it'll be the survey system, whereby we answer the survey and they choose the best/first 100 or so responses?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:00 pm 
Donator

WildEye001 wrote:
does that include Windows Vista RC testers? I beta tested RC1 :P (I lost the ISO)

Yeah cause you just lose an ISO of Windows 7 8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:24 pm 
Donator

we will find out who gets in by december, but I'm sure it won't be an open beta.
Even Vista SP1 is not an open beta, so the chances is very slim.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:45 pm 
Donator

that build wont be feature complete...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:18 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
happy dude wrote:
WildEye001 wrote:

Doesn't it come in an E-Mail? How about the MS Connect?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:38 pm 
Donator

Frozenport wrote:
happy dude wrote:
WildEye001 wrote:

Doesn't it come in an E-Mail? How about the MS Connect?

Don't all MS invatations come in a email?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I was (officially) an RC tester for Server 2008, but I never got round to actually downloading and testing the image. Maybe I'll be able to legitimately download the beta, then...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
An official beta for Windows 7 seems awesome. But, will it be be able to run in Virtual PC in a Windows XP computer?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Windows 7 is, at the moment, pretty much the same as Vista 'under the hood,' and Vista will only work on VPC 2007. VPC will work with no problems on XP, but it does gripe at you when you install it. Plus you'll need multiple gigabytes of RAM and probably an entire new HDD for the system to install on.

You might as well just multiboot.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]