BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 22h, 15m | CPU: 54% | MEM: 2134MB of 4179MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Google Chrome is insanely fast … faster than Firefox 3.0        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:03 am 
Donator

There are graphs and a picture on the website, I'm not going to bother posting them here because I'm too lazy. :P
I wonder how it will compare to Firefox 3.1's new javascript engine though? Also, no Chrome for Linux means I haven't tried it out yet, which is disappointing. I have Windows on my laptop but I hate pulling it out at home.

Source: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2507

Here Google Chrome completed the SunSpider JavaScript benchmark in a average of 1,791 milliseconds, nearly half the time that Firefox 3.0.1 took to complete the test. In this test Google Chrome absolutely blows away IE.

UPDATED

Let’s see how the browsers compare to each other when tested using the V8 benchmark suite. This suite carried out five tests:

* Richards
OS kernel simulation benchmark, originally written in BCPL by Martin Richards (539 lines).
* DeltaBlue
One-way constraint solver, originally written in Smalltalk by John Maloney and Mario Wolczko (880 lines).
* Crypto
Encryption and decryption benchmark based on code by Tom Wu (1689 lines).
* RayTrace
Ray tracer benchmark based on code by Adam Burmister (3418 lines).
* EarleyBoyer
Classic Scheme benchmarks, translated to JavaScript by Florian Loitsch’s Scheme2Js compiler (4682 lines).

With this benchmark, the higher the score, the better …

02-09-2008-22-49-21.png

As you can see, Google Chrome savegly beats all the opposition running the V8 benchmark suite a whopping ten times faster than Firefox 3.0.

Google Chrome certainly has delivered on the speed it promised, and so far testing indcates that the browser is very robust - over the past few hours I’ve been hammering it very hard and I’ve yet to have a crash.

Here’s a single Google Chrome Window with 70+ tabs open and the browser is still nice and responsive and there’s not even a hint that it’s struggling under the weight of the open tabs. :P :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:15 am 
Donator

Google Chrome seems to be really fast at rendering pages, not just even Javascript. And I bet having all of those tabs open at once doesn't hurt the browser because each tab runs in a sandbox. However, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:17 am 
Donator

That's what the article says. I would hate to have to go close a process and have to look through tons of Chrome processes to find what I want though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
The first thing I noticed when I installed Chrome was how ridiculously fast rendering was. It was absolutely ASTONISHING - a difference comparable to getting a jump in connection speed. This was comparing the latest version of IE8, Firefox 3.1 Alpha 1, and Chrome.

Seriously. This thing just replaced Firefox as my browser of choice when I'm on Vista.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:18 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
I'll switch to Google Chrome when the version number goes up. Right now it's at 0.2 :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:04 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
I'm running Firefox 3.1b1pre with the pipelining tweak and its faster than Chrome in most cases but just slightly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:12 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
this is faster than any rtw or beta

its just awesome
i already set it as my default

for some reason IE8 started crashing alot after i installed this one.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:48 am 
FTP Access

When I read the posts, and look at the zdnet blog, I wonder where I went wrong.
I find the system of choosing from favorites, particuarly on first start, appalling.When I went to my first link, I had a problem proceeding to another link as I could not seem to find a sensible menu on the page. I guess that was merely a new handling problem - I eventually found how to do it.
I did not notice any of the "Awesome " or "fantastic" speed differences. My own home page is heavy with graphics. Opening it with IE (: Firefox 3 and Opera, and then chrome, showed Opera as being the fastest. The difference was marginal and not really a matter of concern.
I'll persist, and hopefully find my way around the bookmarks. I don't see myself adopting the system where all the bookmarks are on the same page - AFTER visiting them!
Fwiw. One thing which probably makes my view jaundiced. I am not a great fan of tabbed browsing. I prefer the straightforward menu bar selection, I,m afraid. Chrome has particualrly complicated my problem, by making the top bookmark bar hide away when you change to a new page.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP MCE Build 2600 ;)
I think it is faster because of that google have there own internet accelerator that I think they have
incorporated in to there software.

Thanks

Jordan Bryant

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Zorro wrote:
I think it is faster because of that google have there own internet accelerator that I think they have incorporated in to there software.

I doubt it, they'd have to then inform the user, because of the privacy issues that arise from Google Accelerator. It's because they use the Webkit engine, which is the fastest, most standards-compliant engine out there. Opera's engine isn't far behind, neither is KHTML (which WebKit was based off). It's still quite a bit ahead of Gecko (The Mozilla/Netscape engine) and all of them leave Trident (Internet Explorer's engine) trailing.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: V8 rocks        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Hi,

We here at startforce must admit.. we love it!

I just finished testing our newest beta of StartForce on it (and if any site is javascript heavy.. its ours)..

give this a try: http://stage2.startforce.eu .. compare the results of IE7/8, FF3 and Chrome... result.. Chrome rocks...

//Leon

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:06 am 
FTP Access

I think it depends a lot on your computer (Mine is very modest) and how you have each browser customised.
I tried each from logon.

IE8--- 8 Secs
Opera---8 Secs
FF3------7 Secs
Chrome-7 Secs

On my computer, at least, that difference does not motivate me into change from IE

In any case, it will probably slow considerably when they add the standard plugins. (none in there yet)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:57 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
It seems to be worse then K-Meleon when rendering websites with lots of advertisements.
It seems slightly slower then K-Meleon 1.1.15 when going to yahoo mail (testing with both cache's cleared)

On the other hand it seems to be ~ 7x faster then K-Meleon on the javabench mark... 8-)
I think they made a browser that was designed for benchmarks :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:52 am 
FTP Access

That's an innovative idea, frozenport!! Makes me wonder now about some other software benchmarks which don't seem to tally with my own useage?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:05 pm 
FTP Access

Jesus on a Spitfire this [censored] is fast.

I wonder how the latest WebKit nightlies with Squirrelfish stand up :)

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]