BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 2h, 20m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 2196MB of 5721MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Windows XP Pro users to get more Genuine ‘nagware'        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:46 pm 
Donator

Source: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1553

Microsoft is stepping up its war on software pirates by rolling out new Windows Genuine notification software for what it is calling its most pirated version of Windows: Windows XP Professional.

Microsoft to target Windows XP Pro users with Genuine ‘nagware’ notifications

In an August 26 posting to the Windows Genuine Advantage blog, Director of Genuine Windows Alex Koch said XP users should expect Microsoft to begin rolling out a new version of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) notifications starting this week. Microsoft is expecting the rollout to take several months.

The new WGA notifications, which Microsoft will deliver via Windows Update, will behave like the WGA notifications introduced with Windows Vista Service Pack (SP) 1 back in December 2007. Specifically, users whose XP copies are deemed “non-Genuine” will see their screen backgrounds default to black and notice a translucent notice, warning them that their Windows might be counterfeit.

The WGA notification update is going to make it easier for Microsoft to detect stolen or pirated software, as well as fake product keys, Microsoft officials said. It will add new hindrances for users trying to circumvent product activation, as well, according to the new blog post.

The new release is aimed specifically at XP Professional users. From Koch’s post:

“Another thing we’re doing with this release is focusing on the product edition that is most often stolen. This will reduce the number of customers that will be offered the package. This release will be offered to the most pirated edition of Windows XP and therefore to users with the highest likelihood of having a non-genuine copy, those using Windows XP Pro. We’re also offering it to those using editions based on Pro code such as Tablet and Windows Media Center, but plan to narrow the offering to Pro in future releases.”

XP users who previously have not opted in to WGA notifications will be asked to accept an End User License Agreement (EULA), rather than an installation wizard. Users who agree to the EULA are agreeing to allow the anti-piracy validation control to auto-update itself with fewer releases.

“Microsoft is making these changes to simplify the installation process (making it easy for customers to stay up-to-date), to increase the effectiveness of these notifications, and to align experiences across Windows XP and Windows Vista,” according to a statement provided by a company spokeswoman.

Microsoft received kudos from many users when it replaced the Vista non-Genuine “kill switch” with mere nagware. I wonder if XP Pro users will feel the same….

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:51 pm 
FTP Access

Oh, not more of this crapware from them...still looks like it's optional anyway and you don't have to opt in to get updates etc :P

QuiescentWonder wrote:
align experiences across Windows XP and Windows Vista,” according to a statement provided by a company spokeswoman.

Well I guess we can't complain about MS making more of the features of their latest OS available for XP users, next they'll be bringing out an update to make XP slower so as to "align experiences" :P (only joking, I don't actually find Vista to be slow although it would be on an older PC)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
vista blows, be honest. as for the nagware, turn of auto-update,its not a big deal.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Well, as long as they don't invalidate this key, I'm not gonna bitch, but if they do, me and 60,000 students are gonna [censored] lose it...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:01 am 
FTP Access

Doesn't matter to me, my copy is Genuine. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Oh well, i think i will just have to start enjoying the new background...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:28 am 
Donator

Lol, somthing I used to love to do when I was using a cracked Vista instead of Server 08, is the whole "check to see if your copy of windows is genuine".
I love the bit at the end when they go on with all crap about the saftey and security you can enjoy because you are using a genuine version of Vista :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Luckaly i have about 2 full OEM licenses.

1 from retail, 1 retail from technet.

And also 1 VLK key from my education, they also use it for all PC's (they just upgraded from, Compaq D51s, and HP Compaq D530 PC with Windows 2000 to, Dell Dual Core's with only 512MB Ram (why i dont know) and with XP, they can even Run Vista.

Also the PC's we use in our education (above ones are for all users) are Pentium D 3.0, 2GB of Ram, 256MB Video.
They run normally just Windows XP Professional 32-bit, but now we have an KMS Server wich runs Vista Business/Enterprise 64-bit.

So plenty to choose from.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:34 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Mine uses a Genuine Key, even though this is targeted for people like me :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:43 pm 

Joy. Can't wait.

I don't know all the facts in between, or whether he was lying, but my friend's step-dad was having trouble with Windows Update but ended up having his PC locked because he couldn't prove his Windows was authentic over the phone.

He wasn't lying about it being locked, but "locked" was just a reminder that you're breaking the law every time you log in.

Weird.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Ah. This probably will fail. WGA still reports pirated VLKs as genuine, so what's the problem. Still, It'll be cracked pretty quick no doubt anyway.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:59 pm 
Donator

Yeah, I really hate these stupid WGA things, they get cracked usually in less than 24 hrs, and all they do is annoy people away from Windows, IMO.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:25 pm 
Donator

Quote:
WGA still reports pirated VLKs as genuine

Not all of them do :P

Quote:
vista blows, be honest. as for the nagware, turn of auto-update,its not a big deal.

:| 8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:49 am 
FTP Access

Good job I don't use XP :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:27 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I keep getting this feeling that Microsoft is killing its Easter European and Asian market dominance because when they are forced to pay money they will more likely try Linux or some other free alternative.

If I were Microsoft I would be happy with the status quo and continue making loads of money...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Frozenport wrote:
I keep getting this feeling that Microsoft is killing its Easter European and Asian market dominance because when they are forced to pay money they will more likely try Linux or some other free alternative.

If I were Microsoft I would be happy with the status quo and continue making loads of money...

Microsoft are selling Starter Edition in some Asian markets for as little as $3/£1.50

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:34 am 
FTP Access

Starter Edition is terrible though, just horrible - low screen resolution, massive icons and cursor as if it's meant for 3-year-olds, the 3 program limit, very limited options/control panels etc - I wouldn't use it if they were paying us $3 to have it! :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
hounsell wrote:
Frozenport wrote:

Microsoft are selling Starter Edition in some Asian markets for as little as $3/£1.50

$3? How much do monitors in Asian markets sell for?

Anyway, Microsoft should have included XP MCE 2005 Edition instead of just XP Pro(XP MCE 2005= XP Pro with Media Center Edition).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Monitors aren't cheap anywhere, but if your a non-profit, people love dumping [censored] on you, for example

Here is an email I recieved through our donation website,

Quote:
(Un-named large company located here,) a multidisciplinary design firm located in (My town), is currently looking for a donation/recyling partner for approximately 50 CRTs (a few of which are no longer operable).

Their ages range from 5-8 years old, and the models include Dell, Sun, Compaq, Sony, Trinitron, and View Sonic. Fitch has more View Sonics than any other brand.

Please let me know if we can work together.

If I had a truck, I'd take them, but alas, I've got no way to get them, and really no where to put them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:44 am 
Donator

Why don't they just leave this 7 year old software alone.
If you ask anyone is 7 years ago outdated, they will say yes!

If you don't want to sell XP anymore, and people want XP, they pirate it.
There is no choice, doesn't anyone see that?
MS is being stupid.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Bender wrote:
Monitors aren't cheap anywhere, but if your a non-profit, people love dumping [censored] on you, for example

Here is an email I recieved through our donation website,

Quote:
(Un-named large company located here,) a multidisciplinary design firm located in (My town), is currently looking for a donation/recyling partner for approximately 50 CRTs (a few of which are no longer operable).

Their ages range from 5-8 years old, and the models include Dell, Sun, Compaq, Sony, Trinitron, and View Sonic. Fitch has more View Sonics than any other brand.

Please let me know if we can work together.

If I had a truck, I'd take them, but alas, I've got no way to get them, and really no where to put them.

The internet is not a big truck. The internet is not something you can use to dump something out. The internet, IS A SERIES OF TUBES!

XDude wrote:
Why don't they just leave this 7 year old software alone.
If you ask anyone is 7 years ago outdated, they will say yes!

If you don't want to sell XP anymore, and people want XP, they pirate it.
There is no choice, doesn't anyone see that?
MS is being stupid.
MS is even stupider for once selling XP MCE 2005 and issuing Rollup 2, making MCE 2005 the same as XP Pro with Media Center.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:51 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
Hahahahaha i got OEM MCE 2005. Im safe. I was running vista but i got bored with it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:09 am 
FTP Access

I once saw WGA end a friendship.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:39 am 
Donator

Quote:
MS is even stupider for once selling XP MCE 2005 and issuing Rollup 2, making MCE 2005 the same as XP Pro with Media Center.

I'm pretty sure that MCE was always like Pro, not just after UR2. You know, there are a few features in Pro that MCE doesn't have, it's nothing major, but they exist.

Most people think Pro is better but don't know why. For those people, Pro is a waste of money. I guess not if they're pirating it though.

I'm not sure about this, but if copyright holders don't protect their copyrighted content themselves then the law says that they don't have a right to it. So, if Microsoft just let copyright infringement run rampant and then one day decided to bring someone to court over it, the court would be in favor of the infringer. Plus, if they just gave away XP for free no one would buy Vista. DO NOT use that as an example of Microsoft pushing Vista onto people, they are simply protecting their copyrights and making money. They need to make money like any other business.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows Vista x64 SP1
Well WGA doesn't other me anymore now that all my PCs run legal copies. i did have an XP Pro box 2yrs ago that was dodge, just got fed up trying to keep it alive and lack of Windows Updates so bought Home Edition OEM. So in a way MS plan worked with me, I didn't even bother with cracking Vista, bought two copies on release day one retail one OEM to save myself future hassle.

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit, AMD Phenom 9950BE OC to 3.01GHz, 8GB OCZ Platinum 1066MHz, 1TB HDD, BFG nVidia GeForce GTX 285 OC 1GB, SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Edition Champion Series

Top  Profile  YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next