BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 2h, 53m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 2047MB of 3657MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows Vista - faster adoption than XP?        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:57 am 
Donator

I pretty much agree with everything Gray says in this.

Source: http://blogs.computerworld.com/windows_ ... on_than_xp

Another month, another Forrester Research report on Windows Vista. But wait! Rather than the negative spin of last month's report, in which analyst Thomas Mendel opined that Vista was in danger of becoming as big a failure as "New Coke," this report by analyst Benjamin Gray comes to a different conclusion.

"The factors that held back PC refreshes and OS migrations in the first half of 2008 will subside and make 2009 a big year for change," wrote Gray, who cited four reasons. "1) Despite the economy, aging hardware will force new PC purchases; 2) Microsoft's recent initiative to restore its public image will ease -- although far from solve -- challenges of how users perceive Windows Vista; 3) base hardware configurations will be more robust and will come with a minimum of 2 GB of memory; and 4) Windows XP will be one year older, making it an elderly eight years old."

Gray goes on to infuriate Mac fans by dismissing it as a "niche solution" that "still won't be an enterprise-friendly offering for widescale corporate deployments." Linux, he says, will "continue to flounder on thick-client desktops." He also argues that skipping Vista for Windows 7 is a mistake, "because Windows Vista investments will ultimately pay off with better compatibility for this next release."

Gray based his analysis in part on Forrester's survey of 50,000 PCs from 2,500 companies that visited Forrester.com between October 2007 and the end of June this year. That was the same data cited by Mendel, including the key finding that Vista's share of the corporate market was 8.8%, with XP still holding 87.1%.

Mendel saw that as a sign of Vista's weakness. But Gray sees the glass half-full: Vista's share is up 76% in nine months, and remains double the Mac's share.

Moreover, Gray's interviews with IT managers indicate a "new trend" of Vista migrations from XP machines, not just very-old Windows 2000 ones.

"The mindset is really beginning to shift with Service Pack 1 (SP1) now on the market and with organizations having more than 18 months to test for hardware and application compatibility," he wrote. "Desktop operations are also increasingly realizing that the investments they make with Windows Vista today will ultimately pay off if and when they're ready to deploy 'Windows 7.'"

While Forrester may seem to be contradicting itself, remember that analysts, like reporters and columnists on the same publication, are allowed to have independent opinions.

And while you may disagree, even vehemently, with Gray, I think it's hard to deny that it takes a certain amount of guts to consistently call it as he, a Vista bull, sees it, what with all of the negative publicity around Vista.

Last November, Gray said of Vista: "Vista isn't a matter of if, but of when and how." This April, Gray released a report, 'Building the Business Case for Windows Vista.'

I'm about to release a long analytical piece on Monday that also goes against the grain. Contrary to the conventional wisdom that Vista is, well, sucking, I argue that third-party statistics -- not Microsoft's -- show Vista is actually doing pretty well, and is probably being adopted FASTER than XP was out of the starting blocks.

As a preview, I'll cite some: XP was running on 6.6% of North American corporate desktops 22 months after its release, according to AssetMetrix Inc. Meanwhile, Vista is used -- not just installed and then uninstalled -- on 8.8% of corporate desktops 19 months after its debut, according to Forrester's global stats (which one would imagine to be a slower-adopting sample than the U.S./Canadian one).

Another survey of 1.8 million online gamers by Valve Corp. finds 18% running Vista today. And even that prophet of Windows' doom, Gartner Inc., expects Vista's share at the end of this year to be higher than XP's was at the end of 2003.

I go into detail how all of the instant nostalgia over XP has led people to forget how much they held off and hated on XP, criticizing it for the same offenses as Vista today.

Please take a look starting August 25th and let me know what you think.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:59 am 
Donator

I do like the point that people hated XP in much the same way as they now dislike Vista, that's somthing far too many people have forgotten.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:52 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM | iPhone OS 3.0
I don't understand why lots of peoples hate Vista... :cry:
I think it's a good OS. I don't have any problems with it since february 2007...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:17 am 
FTP Access

They dont like it because its different enough from XP that the rather simple learning curve is simply to great a task, and why should they bother when their 5 year old piece of crap is incapable of running it anyway? Well apart from showing all their mates how terrible it runs on said piece of crap which then makes them think it really is as slow as the interwebz says it is.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:07 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
OG wrote:
They dont like it because its different enough from XP that the rather simple learning curve is simply to great a task

That's an illusion. My parents had only ever used XP, when suddenly, I announced I was going to put Vista on the machine. They were worried at first because of how different it was, but they settled into it straight away. It can be used exactly like XP. Making parts translucent doesn't change things much. People who haven't use it just see change and are scared. But that's the same with any technological or scientific advance these days. There will always be people who embrace it and people who fear it. Ultimately though, most of these changes will be beneficial to the people. They just don't understand it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:24 pm 
FTP Access

Never the less, it is different. It is as simple or even more so than XP to use, but there is a transition. I did say it was a simple learning curve, which means the transition itself is very easy, however, I also said that alone is too much trouble for some people, which it is. It is no illusion that Vista is different. It is different on the surface, as in the way it looks, and the more you dig around the more changes you see over XP, even though most things are in the same place, the way they work has changed. That is true from everything from explorer to network connections. It is similar to XP, yes, but similar is not the same.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:20 pm 
OG wrote:
Never the less, it is different. It is as simple or even more so than XP to use, but there is a transition. I did say it was a simple learning curve, which means the transition itself is very easy, however, I also said that alone is too much trouble for some people, which it is. It is no illusion that Vista is different. It is different on the surface, as in the way it looks, and the more you dig around the more changes you see over XP, even though most things are in the same place, the way they work has changed. That is true from everything from explorer to network connections. It is similar to XP, yes, but similar is not the same.

You might want to stop for a moment to consider the fact that people might just be
happy with what they have, and don't feel the need to upgrade.
Iv'e owned the same car for the last 15 years, It suits my needs and requires little
maintenance, I don't have to buy a new one because there's a new model out.
I'm quite certain that it would be the case for those who own a computer, and use
it just a few times a week to send and receive emails, why upgrade when it does
exactly what they want it to do.
They know it inside out, used it for years, and because they only use it a few
times a week, starting out with a completely new and unfamiliar system would take
longer for some than the time they're willing to waste.
Your opinion reflects your own outlook on the situation, not what is the fact
for every case out there.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:59 pm 
FTP Access

If people are happy with their current OS thats fine, that's not the issue in my opinion. No one is being forced to upgrade their XP to Vista. I dont think wether people who are happy with their current system and have no reason to switch has anything to do with those who moan for no good reason and those who buy a system with Vista preinstalled but retrograde to XP because for whatever reason they dislike Vista. If you got a new job with a shiney new c-class, would you still drive around in your 15 year old banger? Would you moan because reverse gear isn't where it used to be or becuase the stereo controls are different that your old car? I doubt it. You'd adapt, you wouldn't bitch because the new car did things slightly different than the old one. Or maybe you would, who knows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:41 pm 
Donator

Since we're on the topic of what's wrong with Vista, I still think that the networking center and what they've done with the display dialog box are [censored]. They've added tabs to Internet Explorer and removed the from the display properties. Other than that, I don't really have any complaints.

Quote:
You might want to stop for a moment to consider the fact that people might just be
happy with what they have, and don't feel the need to upgrade.
Iv'e owned the same car for the last 15 years, It suits my needs and requires little
maintenance, I don't have to buy a new one because there's a new model out.
I'm quite certain that it would be the case for those who own a computer, and use
it just a few times a week to send and receive emails, why upgrade when it does
exactly what they want it to do.
They know it inside out, used it for years, and because they only use it a few
times a week, starting out with a completely new and unfamiliar system would take
longer for some than the time they're willing to waste.
Your opinion reflects your own outlook on the situation, not what is the fact
for every case out there.

No one minds about people like you, it's the people that need or want new computers that refuse to upgrade to Vista that are ridiculous. The point is, people like you, who just go online and check their email, aren't even going to notice any difference other than "oh, shiny," which is entirely true.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:46 pm 
Donator

Yeah, the networking center can be a real pain in the ass, especially if all you want to do is renew your IP adress. What get's me is the way some people mindlessly hate Vista, if you must hate somthing, hate me!, but leave Vista alone.
It's not like software can stand up for itself, and Microsoft isn't doing a very good job at standing up for it.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]