BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 11h, 50m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 4170MB of 10279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Vista Bash 2.0        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:25 am 
FTP Access

Quote:
Windows 7 has one new feature
Comment One third of the way to Vista's promise

By Charlie Demerjian: Friday, 15 August 2008, 3:52 PM

WINDOWS 7, AKA Me II SP1a, is going to disappoint, it is simply a warmed over Vista with shatteringly few new features. There is one new bullet point on the spec list seen by The INQUIRER, and that is the return of a real GDI.

If you recall, Vista promised three main pillars, middleware, a DB-based file system and a presentation layer. We won't bring up being written in managed code and a real shell, those weren't pillars, just main features. In typical MS fashion, they delivered on .5/3. It was slow and a resource hog, but luckily it drained laptop batteries about 15 per cent faster than XP.

The welcome Vista has received is likely due to the fact that the entire list of upsides is 'it looks pretty', while the downsides include shattering incompatibility, security theatre that annoys users enough to turn off the security, utter lack of speed, DRM infestation, inbuilt malware, remote kill switches, rights-robbing 'genuine advantages', and resource hogging in ways not seen since Caligula. Did I mention it was pretty?

In grand fashion, MS is once again doing the wrong thing with Windows 7 and not delivering on much of what it promised for the last version. The 'new' program delivers one thing, a new GDI. Yes, you can extend the 'power' of pretty to all the apps on your desktop, with 3D widgets and the like, but it will also likely break compatibility with older apps.

Yeah, isn't that a great choice, you can write two versions so that the 95 per cent of your audience that doesn't have 7 can use your stuff, or you can just ignore the new features and have things work right for the vast majority. Yes, that is the extent of the 'new', extending pretty to apps. Pillar three complete after two tries. Don't ask us about one and two, maybe they will hit slides in 2014.

In the end, it looks like 7 is going to be more Windows dressing, little to no substance, and tidbits based on a malware-infested and rights-removing rotten core. MS can hold it's head high and proudly proclaim that it shamelessly copied Apple far quicker this time around. And for them, that is real progress.
SOURCE

Will it ever stop?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:41 am 
Donator

It won't ever stop coming from this guy... he even has a "Flame Author" link at the bottom of every article. I try to ignore this kind of thing, usually though I have to ignore it after a product has actually been finished and released. I'm not saying that there aren't valid arguments about how Microsoft's software sucks, but this is just stupid. Does anyone know what he means when he says that Windows has "inbuilt malware"?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:55 am 
FTP Access

I would assume he may be refering to the black screen of death when you fail to activate Vista, and possibly the inbuilt DRM crap, but that hardly qualifies as malware. Its just the way it goes with premium content that is protected with DRM, like Bluray, HD downloads, ect ect ect. Some people are too stupid to accept that when you want to aquire licenses to play that kind of content, you need to show that you are capable of protecting the rights of the rights holder. Right or wrong, thats life. All retail players dvd and BD do exactly the same thing yet you never see people complaining about that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:18 am 
Donator

Wow, the way that guy takes things and blows them out of proportion is just rediculous.
The reason vista recieved the sort of welcome it did, was not because of the reasons he said, it was because of over opinionated pricks like himself.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
jabster wrote:
The reason vista recieved the sort of welcome it did, was not because of the reasons he said, it was because of over opinionated pricks like himself.

Actually, if I were to pinpoint the biggest problem with Vista at it's launch, it would have been the hardware compatibility. And MS can't really be held responsible when the relevant companies had had vista for plenty long enough and they still couldn't create stable drivers (some still can't it seems).

Which Ironically, this person didn't pick on. Vista is excellent on the software side. Sure, it was a little buggy and slow at launch, but SP1 did much to fix this, and the increased migration to x64 Vista is certainly helping too.

This is where Microsoft should really be looking at image problems. It's not about giving information too freely, its some people taking any facts, twisting them, and blowing them out of proportion.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:39 am 
FTP Access

hounsell wrote:
This is where Microsoft should really be looking at image problems. It's not about giving information too freely, its some people taking any facts, twisting them, and blowing them out of proportion.

Well, but what should MS do? They can't sue them, they can't send them a takedown notice...
The could made rearguing post which set the facts straight at their own website/blag/whatev, but thats all.
This is no MS problem alone, every company has people who wants to blame them or make them look stupid and that show they suck. Thats the problem of the internet, everybody can write his BS and blow or manipulate the facts as he wants :x

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:50 am 
Donator

It's not like experienced, rational IT employees at big corporations are hurting Microsoft. They'd use the software if they thought they needed it no matter what joe-blow over here says. If you're looking to buy a new hybrid and your step brothers dog's previous owner told you not to buy a Prius because the floor mats he bought from Wal-Mart aren't keeping his carpet clean, are you going to automatically assume that a Prius is a crappy car without having any prior knowledge of it? Not that you personally would, but lot's of people do. Instead of doing any research they let other people do it for them, and then they just believe what they're told (see: religion, politics, anything taught to you when you're young (religion and politics), people who watch Bill O'Reilly as a source of news instead of comedy, etc.).

Anyway, the biggest problem is in the public eye, not the experienced IT workers eye. The experienced IT worker has valid reasons for not upgrading 1000s of computer to Vista, the average guy who checks his email does not. On that note, most of Microsoft's sales are though OEMs anyway, and I didn't read too many articles about how OEMs were refusing to install it on all of their computers, just a few about some that offered a choice to the customers, which usually ended up being a crappy deal anyway.

Last edited by QuiescentWonder on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Zud0 wrote:
Well, but what should MS do?

I think they already are trying the only possible solution, under 'Codename Mojave' ;)

I understand there is little you can do about the source, but MS need to somehow get a positive impression of Vista out of there, because there are far too many people who read that sort of crap, and take it as truth.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:07 pm 
Donator

I suppose Microsoft did do something. They stopped selling XP. Most people don't know that you can still buy it as a "System Builder" until some time next year.

Last edited by QuiescentWonder on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:10 pm 
Donator

Vista's image is not helped by its pathetic advertising. down here, those "wow" ads, which by the way, barely reflected any of vista'a features, ran for around a month, and from then on we were exposed to nothing but:
Hi, i'm a mac, And i'm a pc, boy mac, it sure does suck to run vista, with its evil, evil start orb!

Because there were no real ads, people have turned to morons like the one featured here, to form their opinions, and so have gone from mindlessly loving microsoft, to ignorantly hating vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:13 pm 
Donator

jabster wrote:
boy mac, it sure does suck to run vista, with its evil, evil start orb!

LOL

I always thought this was funny:

I think it's funny how all the mac fan-boys are jumping up and down about how they've continually gained a small amount of market-share over the past few years. They'll try to throw it in your face. I'm completely indifferent operating system wise, the companies advertising is a different story. The only reason I don't run OSX is because I don't have a Mac and I'm too poor to buy one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:18 pm 
Donator

You think thats funny, next time your on youtube, look up david letterman apple ads, or somthing along those lines. There parodys made on the late show with david letterman.
here's my favourite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz-ASPpg ... re=related

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:24 pm 
Donator

This one is pretty old but it's been a favorite parody of mine for a long time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVwbhsqEyNI

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:55 am 
FTP Access

Quote:
WINDOWS 7, AKA Me II SP1a

That's a perfect red flag for stupidity ensues... I'd like to thank the 'author' for kicking off the article with it, as it saved me the time (and IQ points) of reading it.

:wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:29 am 
FTP Access

And with every letter that I read from that guy, he continually reminds me why The Inquirer sucks and why he will never get a job with a reputable tech site/magazine. He's just a blithering idiot.

A good journalist will attempt to give both sides of the "story" (and oh God is this world running out of good journalists, with many of the current "journalists" giving inane one sided opinion articles). This guy doesn't make an attempt to cover any good aspects of Vista (except that it looks good, which was a poorly executed sarcastic comment). God forbid that he mentions superfetch (well, he kind of does when he mentions that Vista is a "resource hog," but hey, he's not smart enough to UNDERSTAND how it works), the updated driver model that allows you to run 3D apps/games in a window without having to suffer a performance loss (and IMO, it's part of the reason why Vista x64 is catching on), the updated search function that actually makes search USEFUL (God, in XP it was useless, although there was a recent update for Search 4.0 (also in Vista), but like many things in XP, it's just slapped on there and it's integration into the OS is nearly non-existent).

But who am I kidding? I'm sure this guy gets his "information" from benchmarks ran in February of 2007 (yup, a few weeks after release), and that one time he illegally downloaded Vista and installed it on his 2004 Pentium 4 with a gig of RAM and an ATi 9600.

The guy is an idiot, and I mean that in all sense of the word.

According to this guy, Mac OS X sucks, because of the 2 gigs of RAM I have installed on my Macbook Pro, only half a gig is unused. 240 MB is "wired," 703 MB is "active," and 585 MB is "inactive." And yet, everything is peachy. The guy thinks he knows more than what he actually does.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:35 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Ambig wrote:
He's just a blithering idiot.

While he maybe blithering I am unsure if he is an idiot, FOR ALL WE KNOW HE OWNS STOCK IN APPLE!

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]