BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 18h, 19m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 2054MB of 3535MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows 7: Slideshow Wallpapers, Theme Gallery, Theme Packs        Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:34 pm 
Donator

It's upsetting that we have to eat up this tiny little stuff when I would much prefer to get some more important information on Windows 7.

Source: http://www.istartedsomething.com/200808 ... eme-packs/

Don’t worry Windows 95 Plus! enthusiasts, Microsoft hasn’t forgotten about you and your themes. A recently updated MSDN Library document shows that Microsoft hasn’t just brushed themes under the carpet, but instead dusted it off, added some new polish and is even putting it under the spotlight.

The document “Creating and Installing Theme Files” (now edited) has been updated with several “additions to the .theme file format were made for Windows 7″. They include:

Quote:
Themes
The [Theme] section of the file contains the following two attributes:

Icon=module,-iconId (example: themeui.dll,-123) or pathToIcon (example: MyTheme.ico)
Windows 7 and later. The icon to show in the theme gallery, either an embedded resource or a path to an .ico file. Paths are relative to the directory of the .theme file.

Desktop Appearance
You can create custom wallpaper for the desktop and specify a path to the graphics file. Additionally, this section of the .theme file can specify whether the screen saver is active. The following example shows how to do modify the desktop appearance. Windows 7 and later: If the slideshow is active, the path can be a path to a folder containing multiple images, or a colon-delimited list of image files.

Windows 7 and later. The following attribute is set to “1″ to enable a slide show as the wallpaper.
Slideshow=1

Theme Packs
Windows 7 and later. A theme pack is a .cab file that contains not only the .theme file but also the files needed to implement the theme on another computer, such as sound files and images. Users can create theme packs through the Personalization application in Control Panel.

This sudden rejuvenation in themes excites me and puzzles me at the same time. On one hand, I have a lot of fond memories with themes in Windows 95 Plus! - the sound effects would always be so bizarre. On the other, OS GUI customization is becoming much less common - much less so in Vista than compared to XP.

Personally, the idea of using a third party visual style in Vista has never even crossed the mind and I’m someone who wouldn’t think twice about using a custom style in XP. Does anyone else still use custom styles or even custom themes (cursors, sound effects)?

Update: The Windows 7 information has now been removed. Oh come on Sinofsky, give me a break.[/b]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:11 pm 
FTP Access

Wouldn't this be a new big source for bugs and viruses?
I mean every desktop is different, so what if the themes 1024*768 wallpaper doesn't fit in the 1280*800 widescreen? Or I have some costum explorer bars, wouldn't they break the style?
What if the theme is buggy and I can't see my explorer or mouse-pointer anymore?
Or what if there is another jpeg-exploit or what if the soundfiles are attackable?
Maybe I'm to negative, but so easy installable system-changing things are a great risk to me...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:49 pm 
Donator

You mean like all those applications that everyone installs on their computers?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:34 am 
FTP Access

QuiescentWonder wrote:
You mean like all those applications that everyone installs on their computers?

Yeah :) But most programmers know what their doing, but themes are easy made by everyone...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:48 am 
Donator

Right, most people who don't know what they're doing can't embed malware into themes, but developers who do know what they're doing can embed malware into software that everyday users install on their PCs.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]