BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 15h, 51m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 1996MB of 4597MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: John McCain: No Net Neutrality        Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:59 am 
Donator

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/08/1 ... neutrality

Republican presidential hopeful John McCain issued his technology policy today, which strongly supported open markets and unregulated competition for the nation's IT sector. Like his Democrat competitor, Barack Obama, McCain wants to keep the internet tax free; unlike Obama, however, he doesn't support network neutrality, which would mandate broadband service providers treat all network traffic in a non-discriminatory manner.

"John McCain does not believe in prescriptive regulation like net neutrality," the nearly 3,000-word policy statement on McCain's site declared. "Rather, he believes that an open marketplace with a variety of consumer choices is the best deterrent against unfair practices."

John McCain's Technology Policy: http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Iss ... c132ea.htm

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
The free market will save us.
/

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:09 am 
Donator

I don't have a great understanding of net neutrality but wouldn't it be bad for VoIP?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
It would be bad for everything, they would be able to filter all types of traffic as they pleased.
Bittorrent and Limewire would probably be filtered and iTunes be given priority (with generous donations from Apple of course), VoIP would be prioritised as long as it's the right (expensive) kind.

So basically net-neutrality means that ISPs act as neutral carriers of internet-traffic and not selectively filter out services.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:35 am 
Donator

Well, I do know that they aren't allowed to filter out any traffic right now, but they are allowed to prioritize it. What I was asking was if VoIP would be hurt by net neutrality. I suppose it would, there are problems with having or not having net neutrality. As I understand it now, without net neutrality, my ISP's competitors website and services could be placed at the bottom of the priority and their bandwidth limited so that I can hardly access them. With net neutrality NO service is prioritized meaning that my phone service is going to be horrible. I suppose I should just go read more about it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:13 am 
Permanently Banned

I had read this in some magazine about 3 months ago, and it contained the viewpoints of Hillary, Obama, and McCain side-by-side. Of course, at the time that was printed and I had read it, no democratic party had won the primaries yet and personally my vote went towards Hillary. Since it's pretty much a race of McCain or Obama now, my vote goes towards McCain, seeing how Obama is one who scares me more than Vladmir Putin, and there's a lot more wrong with the government right now than Net Neutrality, and I don't find Obama capable of handling the real issues.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:44 am 
Donator

Okay, I wasn't really talking about that... but since we're off topic, your basis for that theory is what? You heard some reporter say it on the news? Your parents and/or friends believe that? Do you know anything about Obama's background? Read, and I don't just mean from news websites. His background is a bit more impressive than you might think, I know that's how I felt.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Ok, keep on topic, this isn't about the American election. However, Net Neutrality has a bigger effect than you think.

@QuiescentWonder, You mentioned that your ISP could reduce your capability to look at their competitors sites. However, the same could be done with VoIP. Without Net Neutrality, it is entirely feasible that your ISP would block, or affect various VoIP services, and sign an agreement with one service that leads to only that service being usable. It's likely that that service could be more expensive (as longview pointed out) and your ISP could get more money from you.

It's even possible that they then categorise sites, and charge you extra to access certain types of site, much like with TV channels, where you tend to get bundles of channels (ie, Sports and News channels) on different packages. They could also more easily filter information going to the user, essentially allowing censorship by individual companies as they wish.

Net Neutrality is all about giving all internet traffic the same priority. Remove that, and ISPs can then pick and choose what their customer sees.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:05 pm 
Donator

I know, I was just trying to point out that it seems like there will be issues either way. I favor net neutrality now, I always have because the sort of things you mentioned might happen. I read an article a while ago that was saying how an ISP could charge Google a premium to get it's websites to users at a decent rate, otherwise it would be low priority. There are obviously more downfalls if we don't have net neutrality. I'm just wandering if there is some sort of clause in there for streaming media, VoIP, gaming, things that require priority to really work well.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]