BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 11h, 50m | CPU: 55% | MEM: 2875MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: The leak of windows 7 - from the microsoft side        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
This is from a blog of a microsoft worker, it discribes how he think about the leak of windows 7. It is funny to know how they think about leaks, instead of us, collectors.

I can give a pretty interesting perspective on the Windows 7 leak, considering said perspective is coming from someone who has had this build for 3+ months as of the writing of this post.

Before I really jump in, I should explain why leaks of this magnitude are bad. Believe it or not, these leaks do hurt Microsoft and the dev process of the operating system, especially this early in the cycle. When a leak happens, Microsoft has to devote time to investigating the leak and trying to pin down a source, ultimately the internal source or OEM who leaked it. Leaks are also bad because there are just some things that aren’t ready to be seen outside of Redmond yet, especially by the average Joe user. Say a build leaks, and average Joe doesn’t like a certain feature, or even more realistic, finds a real nasty bug. He blogs about that and next thing you know everyone is jumping on the slingfest bandwagon and presto, bad image before the product is even out of the gate.

The main thing about the 6519 leak that gets me is the fact that it leaked after so much time. I can only assume that it came from someone in the group that got the build about a month ago, and for some reason was looking for a “15 minutes of fame” moment. There is, however, a silver lining to all of this. The build is hard coded to expire on June 6th, after which date the activation system will lock you out of the system. Why someone would leak after expiration, you ask? Well it’s actually a pretty simple answer. They get their little moment of fame and (they think) cause little damage to Microsoft since Joe user can’t use it on a daily basis. The fact is though, the beta community is rather unique, we take builds of OS’s and actually use them on our machines to tinker with and see the direction that Microsoft is going with the future of Windows. With 6519, running on the current date is now impossible, but the OS can be used if you set the date back before expiration, which some will probably be willing to do, just for bragging rights.

I guess the point I am trying to make with all of this is 6519 never should have been leaked, but it is the unfortunate fact that we have some people in this community that just can’t seem to keep anything under wraps and thinks that leaking a build will gain them some kind of celebrity status. That could not be more inaccurate. Within the last few years leakers have been looked upon as the black sheep in the community, for the exact reasons that I mentioned earlier. The fact is that these people will never learn, and will likely continue to do things like this.
(http://www.aeroxp.org/2008/06/windows-7-65191-the-leak/)

What do you think about it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:25 am 
Donator

This from Chris123NT's blog, and he's a Microsoft MVP as far as I know. I am very sure he does not work for Microsoft, and I hold most of the views discussed in that post... every elitist who downloads a leak of an alpha/beta OS and then tells all their friends about how unreliable and buddy it is is stupid, and caused possibly irrepairable damage to Windows Vista (Part of the problem the Mojave experiment tried to counter).

Leaks need to stay with people that have self-control, and I support the current movements. Twelve year olds should not be given anything they should not possess, as it soon becomes, as the author said "[the kid's] fifteen minutes of glory".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I do largely agree with many of the points raised in the post, such as the image problem it can cause (though not revealing enough information can also lead to a similar issue, it's about getting the balance right), but I do have to question some of the ideas detailed in the post. Such as the one that claims the leak was just 'someone seeking their 15 minutes of fame'. The BA leak, like most BA leaks these days, was anonymous and therefore, the leaker received no credit for the leak. Ironically, then the 'Microsoft Beta Project' or 'MSBP' then tried to claim responsibility for the leak, but as they aren't the original leakers, I can't see how that ties in. However, such as with the MSBP case, it does lead to a lot of people trying to jump on the 'I leaked Windows 7' train, with a number of people seeking their 15 minutes of fame.

Ultimately, This has lead me to be indifferent to leaks. If something leaks, Great! If not, I'm not really missing out am I? We generally get enough information to get a vague idea of what's going on anyway, so a build generally just exposes some of the negative sides that are most likely just part of the product being in it's alpha stage of development.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:12 pm 
FTP Access

I may be corrected, but I believe this site was one of the first to publish the leak, albeit in the "closed" forum?
If you have a look at the ongoing thread concerning the ages of members, you can immediately spot a possible risk there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
davehc wrote:
I may be corrected, but I believe this site was one of the first to publish the leak, albeit in the "closed" forum?
If you have a look at the ongoing thread concerning the ages of members, you can immediately spot a possible risk there.

It wasn't one of the first. It was the first.

And I don't really see the point about Age. I don't think the issue here is Age, but attitudes. I've seen many 'older' (though it's still not really old) people with worse attitudes than people much younger. It's just a shame that many younger people generally seem to have have poorer attitudes, and by younger people, I mean the younger third. I'm 16, which some people consider to be young (even if by percentage, it isn't in the beta community), but it doesn't mean I'm in any way worse a person because of it. I'm sure if I was, Andy wouldn't have made me a moderator.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:45 pm 
Donator

I never even realized that there may be people who download it just to say they have it. I'm actually genuinely interested in the direction Windows is going. I'm a technophile at heart, it's disappointing to think that the reason I can't see where Windows is going more often is because someone spreads negative views of alpha/beta software around.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:26 pm 
FTP Access

I didn't even download the Windows 7 leak, but I was excited when it was leaked.

What kind of annoys me is that some of these people who have unleaked builds only tells people to get them jealous and make their e-peen larger. It's one thing to have an unleaked build and make a post outlining the changes. But then it's one thing to make a post in a thread just claiming to have the build and then proceed to tell everyone that they can't have it and that it's "theirs." It just seems kind of childish. Kind of like a 5 year old who gets the latest and greatest toy and waves it around in front of all their friends proclaiming that they can't play with it.

I'm not saying everyone who has a unleaked build and who posts about it are being childish. Some really do want to share information about. What's changed, what hasn't. And I understand that most of the time, they really can't leak the build, because that jeopardizes them getting another build or getting into trouble with MS. But then there are people who just make a post proclaiming that they have it. They don't tell anything new about what we don't already know, but that they just have it. Great... Who cares?

There are some things that I agree with Chris's post, such as it possibly hurting development (I really don't know how true that is or not). But he says that leakers are the black sheep or the community. I guess what he doesn't realize is that the community thrives off of people handing a copy of a beta/alpha to a friend, and then it follows down the chain of command. If nobody ever leaked anything, would this site even be around? Pretty much everything on the server was either released in some tech preview, or leaked. Most of it was leaked. As soon as the build is given to someone who's not supposed to have that build, it's been "leaked." Sure, maybe not a huge public leak, but it's outside of MS's control.

Chris, he's not in MS. I don't even think he's involved with MS in any way. He possibly knows someone at MS, but that doesn't mean you're "in." What's funny, is that he claims that as of writing the post, he had the leak for months. Meaning that someone, either got it from someone else (and they weren't supposed to have it to begin with) and gave it to Chris or someone from MS or a partner with MS gave it to Chris. Then later he says people who leak things are the "black sheep in the community." Kind of hypocritical. The only reason he had the build was because someone leaked it to him. And he pretty much makes it obvious. Wasn't the Windows 7 build from like December of 2007? He had the build 3 months before it was leaked (was it June or July when it was leaked?). That means the build was probably already outdated and replaced by the time he got it. In terms of MS development, 3 months is a long time to add in a lot of features and change stuff, especially in Alpha build. Just look at Longhorn builds or even Vista builds and see how much they changed from build to build.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
Hmm.

Yeah, I can understand where he's coming from, even though MicroSoft can't become more damaged in my personal opinion.

If I was to get one of those runoured leaks.... it would be to see what was changing from previos version of windows, as well as previous builds. Stability... heck it's late alpha/early beta, I wouldn't expect it to be rock steady.

Say, I find a nasty bug that attempts to format my HD every three hours or there abouts Or once a week.... (for example, not likely, but it sounds nasty, doesn't it ;) ) sure, it's a nasty one, but I'ld expect it to be fixed without me and half the world botching about it.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]