BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 15h, 40m | CPU: 51% | MEM: 5583MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Intel Nehalem to be Named "Core i7"?        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:57 am 
Donator

Source: http://www.electronista.com/articles/08 ... e.i7.leak/

Intel's Nehalem processor architecture will still hold to the Core naming scheme when it appears late this year, if an apparent leak of company logos proves authentic. Although the platform will make fundamental changes, Nehalem will reportedly be known as Core i7 for at least all its desktop variants, which will include dual- and quad-core mainstream processors as well as a 3.2GHz Extreme processor for high-end gaming desktops.

The reason for the change is unclear, though Intel will have an increasing number of cores with the new architecture and so will have a harder time maintaining a simple naming scheme for its processors as for Core 2, which has been split into Solo, Duo, and Quad variants. The i7 refers to Nehalem as the seventh x86 platform generation to come from Intel.

The alleged slip doesn't indicate whether the naming will apply to mobile processors, although these in recent years have kept the same name as their desktop counterparts. Workstation- and server-class processors have usually kept to the Xeon naming system.

Intel is believed ready to announce its first Core i7 processors on August 11th but with shipping only taking place in the fall. Notebook-ready versions are still due in early 2009.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:59 am 
Donator

What? Core i7? what a weird and awkward name
they should be called Core 3 from day one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:07 am 
Donator

On another note, it's going to have an integrated memory controller and a new socket design.

"i" for Intel and "7" for the seventh generation of x86 processors from Intel?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:11 am 
Donator

Looks like they are following AMD's footsteps again by intergrating memory controller.
and finally the Slot 775 retires. It's going to a slot not a socket if you can tell the difference.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:14 am 
Donator

I can't tell if you're being condescending or if you don't know what a slotted CPU is. I won't believe that they're going to a slot design until I see it, I doubt they'll do that again.

EDIT: After some research, the only thing I could find is that there will eventually be a Socket H to replace Socket T (LGA 775). I can't find anything about it being a slot design. In fact, it says here that it's going to be LGA 715. It says that it's for chips without integrated memory controls. Who knows. We'll find out soon enough.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:19 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
XDude wrote:
Looks like they are following AMD's footsteps again by intergrating memory controller.
and finally the Slot 775 retires. It's going to a slot not a socket if you can tell the difference.

I had lost many a motherboard to ZIF :(

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:21 am 
Donator

Also, 7 is supposed to be a lucky number. At least it is with the polka machine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:12 am 
FTP Access

QuiescentWonder wrote:
I can't tell if you're being condescending or if you don't know what a slotted CPU is. I won't believe that they're going to a slot design until I see it, I doubt they'll do that again.

EDIT: After some research, the only thing I could find is that there will eventually be a Socket H to replace Socket T (LGA 775). I can't find anything about it being a slot design. In fact, it says here that it's going to be LGA 715. It says that it's for chips without integrated memory controls. Who knows. We'll find out soon enough.

Its going to be a socked-based LGA system again. This time there are going to be 3 setups. LGA 1160, LGA 1366, and LGA 1567. LGA 1366 is going to be the most common (called Socket B), and is featured in the X58 based-boards.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:53 pm 
FTP Access

Here is the Intel's announcement: http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/ ... 11comp.htm

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]