BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 22h, 36m | CPU: 49% | MEM: 5782MB of 10679MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Microsoft readies XP for One Laptop Per Child computer        Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:07 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Microsoft readies XP for One Laptop Per Child computer

Quote:
Microsoft has quietly released to manufacturing a tweaked version of Windows XP to run on the One Laptop Per Child XO computer.

Microsoft’s marketing and communications wonk James Utzschneider offered some detail about its forthcoming release in a blog post late last week.

“Microsoft internally ‘RTM'ed’ the Windows XP version we are building for the OLPC XO computer. Windows on the XO looks like it is on track for availability in these types of national educational PC deals in September,” he said.

“We still have no plans to make Windows available for individuals who bought an XO in the Give 1 Get 1 program though.”

Source and more information:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/28 ... ernal_rtm/

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:16 am 
Donator

That "One Laptop Per Child" thing is ugly. Sorry, but it is.

I would have thought that Microsoft would have wanted to tweak Vista for the OLPC OS. But I guess the XP eyecandy appeals to the common child (and matches the laptop's look) more than Aero.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:33 am 
FTP Access

I don't think it's bad.
I'd love to have one just for university notes. A PC with office 2007 @ 200$ is great!!
Just as a low-end PC, word, and firefox. Maybe winamp. hehe
IMHO

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:22 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
eh, wonder if somebody would leak it =)

well, better not get my hopes up :p

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:48 am 
Donator

It's fun to see all the freetards getting their panties in a bunch over this. Their rationale is retarded, that it should be linux instead since that's "free" (in the hippie sense, not economic sense).

God forbid these kids should be able to use something that will prepare them for a world where 90% of the computers run Windows.

Edit: yay, 100th post. and i squeezed in a "freetard". bonus. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
It's probably just FLP with all the drivers removed and the XO drivers put in. Possibly recompiled for diffrent architecture, those laptops aren't x86-based, are they?

Anyroad, I don't think it's worth getting excited about, we've all got (or can get) Windows XP anyway.

Now, if they were to put a tweaked Chicago 58s onto the machines... :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:13 pm 
FTP Access

I dont understand this OLPC project.

From what I understand (wikipedia :D) the idea is to give rubbishy spec laptops to third world kids?
I mean, come on, ive seen it on TV, those guys dont even have clean water, how come they get free laptops?! surely the money could be spent better elsewhere helping these people?

But still, yes, I hope the new XP leaks too :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:34 pm 
Donator

bob wrote:
I dont understand this OLPC project.

From what I understand (wikipedia :D) the idea is to give rubbishy spec laptops to third world kids?
I mean, come on, ive seen it on TV, those guys dont even have clean water, how come they get free laptops?! surely the money could be spent better elsewhere helping these people?

But still, yes, I hope the new XP leaks too :)

If I remember correctly, if you donated towards getting some poor kid an OLPC, you got one for yourself.

So if someone here is willing to buy one, they could leak the tweaked XP version...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:59 pm 
FTP Access

Not anymore :(

http://www.laptopgiving.org/en/give-a-laptop.php

from the last line: "This is a donation. You will not receive a laptop."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:17 pm 
Donator

marktuson wrote:
It's probably just FLP with all the drivers removed and the XO drivers put in. Possibly recompiled for diffrent architecture, those laptops aren't x86-based, are they?

Of course they're x86-based. They have an AMD Geode.

mdogg wrote:
I would have thought that Microsoft would have wanted to tweak Vista for the OLPC OS. But I guess the XP eyecandy appeals to the common child (and matches the laptop's look) more than Aero

Erm... Last time I checked, those had a 400~500MHz-ish AMD Geode. There's no way that Vista can be tweaked enough to run adequately on that. Not to mention they "only" have 256MB of RAM. That has nothing to do with eyecandy.

Just my two cents, why not - if it need be - put XP Starter on there? There's an English version and some localized ones and surely the limitations won't be too disturbing on that kind of hardware?! Well, I'll take a look at that special XP if/when it leaks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:51 pm 
Donator

empireum wrote:
marktuson wrote:

Of course they're x86-based. They have an AMD Geode.

mdogg wrote:
I would have thought that Microsoft would have wanted to tweak Vista for the OLPC OS. But I guess the XP eyecandy appeals to the common child (and matches the laptop's look) more than Aero

Erm... Last time I checked, those had a 400~500MHz-ish AMD Geode. There's no way that Vista can be tweaked enough to run adequately on that. Not to mention they "only" have 256MB of RAM. That has nothing to do with eyecandy.

Just my two cents, why not - if it need be - put XP Starter on there? There's an English version and some localized ones and surely the limitations won't be too disturbing on that kind of hardware?! Well, I'll take a look at that special XP if/when it leaks.

Ah, I didn't know the specs.
bob wrote:
Not anymore :(

http://www.laptopgiving.org/en/give-a-laptop.php

from the last line: "This is a donation. You will not receive a laptop."

:x

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:49 pm 
Donator

It's no surprise the specs are pretty low compared to today's standards. The first reason is the price which needs to be low, the second reason is the (supposed) lack of wall power where these machines are to be used. Thus, their batteries have to last as long as possible and power consumption is where the Geode LX really shines, additionally they have a built-in "dynamo" to charge the battery. And you just can't have the children crank along for one hour to get 30 minutes of runtime. :wink:

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]