BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 11h, 21m | CPU: 36% | MEM: 5708MB of 11995MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:43 pm 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
___ wrote:
http://www.msblog.org/2006/11/22/vista-edition-breakdown/
shows differences between versions. Don't think it mentions enterprise

Look here, it's very detailed and Enterprise is mentioned.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions_final.asp

Looks like it has very little that Business doesn't have - only Unix subsystem, Secure Startup, and MUI (and of course the option to use a KMS, which is probably what most enterprises will want as they don’t want the hassle of activating hundreds of machines, presumably each with its own key to have recorded somewhere as VLKs are only for use with KMS, I believe) - it says also it was going to include single-instance Virtual PC, but they were saying that before Virtual PC became free so that is probably no longer a feature (or at least not a major one) as multiple-instance Virtual PC is available to everyone now, including Enterprise.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:00 am 
Donator

Yes, that VPC bit is true, having it available for free destroys the point of Vista Enterprise shipping with a crippled version of it. And it doesn't include VPC indeed, at least I couldn't find it on my install. . An interesting thing regarding VPC: You're allowed to run up to four copies of Vista Enterprise simultaneously, that is, one as a host and three in VPC with one single license. This is not permitted in the EULA of the other Vista editions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:48 am 
Donator

why?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:45 pm 
Donator

___ wrote:
why?

What does your question refer to?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:56 am 
FTP Access

Wait...so Vista Enterprise requires a key server? It doesn't work like XP Pro Corporate?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:59 am 
Donator

Prog wrote:
Wait...so Vista Enterprise requires a key server? It doesn't work like XP Pro Corporate?

Yep, that's it. Although it's a Volume license version, it still requires to be activated within 30 days using a key server. All attempts to disable that have failed so far, but I'm not done testing. So it doesn't allow you to bypass the activation like Server 2003 and XP Pro "Corporate" did.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:02 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Prog wrote:

Yep, that's it. Although it's a Volume license version, it still requires to be activated within 30 days using a key server. All attempts to disable that have failed so far, but I'm not done testing. So it doesn't allow you to bypass the activation like Server 2003 and XP Pro "Corporate" did.

Greaaatttt. I wonder how my university is going to give it to students that live off campus then? :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:17 am 
FTP Access

Prog wrote:
empireum wrote:
Prog wrote:

Greaaatttt. I wonder how my university is going to give it to students that live off campus then? :?

I thought we found that Enterprise has the option of activating online in the activation tool, if you want to do that instead of using a KMS, but it didn't work because you weren't connected to the internet (and of course you don't have a legit key)? Surely you wouldn't be given Enterprise anyway, as that is only available to businesses with SA agreements, and probably isn't allowed to be used off-site? Most likely you'd get Business or Ultimate.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:23 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Prog wrote:
empireum wrote:
Prog wrote:

I thought we found that Enterprise has the option of activating online in the activation tool, if you want to do that instead of using a KMS, but it didn't work because you weren't connected to the internet (and of course you don't have a legit key)? Surely you wouldn't be given Enterprise anyway, as that is only available to businesses with SA agreements, and probably isn't allowed to be used off-site? Most likely you'd get Business or Ultimate.

Enterprise can't be activated online, a KMS is required. I retried that while I was connected to the net and the connection was working (I could surf using IE and it was downloading updates automatically in the background) and it failed with the same error. So the non-working connection can't have been the (only) problem, the problem is it really wants a KMS. Don't know about the key thing, though, but I think it'd have shown an appropriate message if it was due to the key being rejected.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:27 am 
Donator

empireum wrote:
___ wrote:
why?

What does your question refer to?

run vpc on enterprise and run four copies on vpc?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:45 am 
Donator

For software testing, for instance, or to reproduce certain user scenarios... To have some "testing" "machines"/installs ready. I was used to running my primary Windows OS a second or even third time in a VM to test some stuff...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:18 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
LOL, I just read here, that Vista RTM actually has the OS/2 boot logo.
How come? Did they do that accidentally? :D

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:23 am 
Donator

I don't believe that, honestly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:44 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
empireum wrote:

In fact, it was just revealed to have been a fake, and deleted by the poster. :?

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:49 am 
Donator

OBrasilo wrote:
empireum wrote:

In fact, it was just revealed to have been a fake, and deleted by the poster. :?

For me, it sounded a bit too fantastic, anyway. And I like to have something like this prooved by more than a screenshot/picture that can easily be faked.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:29 am 
Donator

OBrasilo wrote:
LOL, I just read here, that Vista RTM actually has the OS/2 boot logo.
How come? Did they do that accidentally? :D

:lol: of course it would be fake

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:42 am 
FTP Access

Just saw this story that someone in China has managed to set up a KMS to activate VLK copies of Vista - interesting, as I thought the KMS had to be on a LAN as opposed to anywhere on the internet?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:05 pm 
Donator

well if that is true, then thats a waste of a few million creating KMS

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:26 pm 
Donator

Interesting... I'll soon continue my experiments with Enterprise, I hope the time trick works...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:05 am 
Donator

are the KMS files even available on the net?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:09 am 
Donator

the KMS mented is down. There is a new KMS on the net, also from China.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:00 am 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Prog wrote:
empireum wrote:
Prog wrote:

I was told that we'd be getting Enterprise. If you think about it, there's really no other version that works anything close to a site-wide license version like XP Pro Corporate anyway.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:33 am 
Donator

Business is also available as VLK...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:41 am 
FTP Access

On the subject of Business/Enterprise, has anyone tried this "Local Activation Server" thing that is apparently floating around? I don't think we're really allowed to discuss it here - I'm not asking for the download or instructions or anything; I just wondered if anyone has tried it and whether or not it works?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:54 am 
Donator

No, not yet, but I'll try to find it and post the results as soon as I get to reinstall Enterprise (managed to brick it again by playing with the activation). Hope I can do it the next days, but will surely by the weekend.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next