BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 0h, 15m | CPU: 0% | MEM: 2435MB of 5195MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: vLite 0.5 Alpha        Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:10 am 
Donator

http://www.vlite.net/

This is basically a tool like nLite, but for Vista. It's in alpha stage currently but it already enables you to remove some components from a Vista Install DVD. The slimmed down image can then be directly burned to a new DVD. Screenshots are on the site.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:40 am 
FTP Access

Westbalkanian Computing Industry Wastelands
Oh yes, the long awaited piece for me. The small must-have for every Vista owner.
Now only one keeps me back using vista as main os: there's no OpenGL drivers for ATI cards, so I have to wait for that.

(By the way, vLite is made by the same person who did nLite)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:49 am 
FTP Access

Once, nLite crippled my Windows Installation. Do you think it might do that here too? :?:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:18 am 
Donator

This usually happens if you remove too much or an important component. This might happen with vLite as well, but usually it doesn't.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:33 am 
FTP Access

Westbalkanian Computing Industry Wastelands
casablanca wrote:
Once, nLite crippled my Windows Installation. Do you think it might do that here too? :?:

You mean that you installed nlite onto a windows and it made strange stuff OR you mean you've made a crippled install cd w. nlite?

If the first occoured, that's a strange thing which I never faced to (I ran various nLite builds from RC to 1.02 on various systems (XPSP2PRO_VLK_ENU, XPSP2HOME_HUN, VISTA5600, VISTA5536, VISTA6000), and it never happened to me)

If the second, then 2 versions could be:
1: The installation files were localized (yes, I faced various issues with nLiting localized windows versions) (However this problem won't exist in Vista anymore, since it's totally mui-based, so there are no things such as localized binaries)
2: You removed a component which was critical for some 3rd party stuff like drivers, security stuff, etc (likewise I removed BITS, so I can't run WAIK's System Image Manager)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:26 pm 
Donator

should come in handy, vista has a lot of services and stuff that aren't necessary for most (UAC?)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:10 pm 
Donator

Yes :) AFAIK, vLite doesn't change the size of the ISO (as of yet) but just prevents the deselected components from being extracted. I've just read this but can't confirm it because I've not yet tried it out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:21 pm 
Donator

sounds about right, cause it would have to edit the .wim image?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:40 pm 
Donator

Yes, that's what I guess. Anyway, I'll try this out soon as it really comes in handy. For me, it means I can install Ultimate (or another of the "bigger" editions), having access to Windows Ultimate Extras and the other stuff that's kept for Ultimate users, but I can remove the stuff I know I won't need (Help, Games, Media Center, and so on). I hope vLite will soon be able to trim down the size of the .wim image. It would be interesting to see if it works with the Longhorn Server betas as well.

edit: I am currently trying out vLite.

- You have to copy all (?) files from the Vista DVD (or maybe just the install.wim file?) to a folder on your HD and point vLite to it.

- It'll then ask which image (Home Basic, Home Premium, ...) you want to configure. I chose Ultimate.

- The next step is removing components, categories are Drivers, Games, Hardware Support, Languages, Multimedia, Network, Services and System. It displays the space you gain by removing a component, just as nLite does.
-> Drivers: You can remove display (127 MB), modem (39 MB) and printer (815 MB!) drivers.
-> Games: All games can be removed (up to 200 MB).
-> Hardware Support: Only Smartcard Support (2 MB) is removable.
-> Languages: Korean, Japanese, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional can be removed (up to 980 MB!).
-> Multimedia: Media Center, Movie and DVD Maker, Shell event sounds, Spech Support, Tablet PC, Wallpapers, Windows Calendar, Windows Media Samples, Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Sidebar and Gadgets are removable (up to 2 GB!).
-> Network: Remote Desktop and Assistance and Windows Mail can be removed (up to 50 MB).
-> Services: Content Indexing, Error Reporting, MS DFS Replication, Volume Shadow Copy, Windows Remote Management can be removed (up to 27 MB).
-> System: Accessibility, Defragmenter, Fax Support, Help, Agent, Security Center, System Restore, Welcome Center, Backup, Defender, SAT and Zip Folder removable. (Up to 350 MB.)

I got a reduction of approximately 4.2GB in my first run removing printer drivers, languages and most of the multimedia stuff. 21 of 39 components were selected.

- Tweaks: You can enable or disable UAC.

- Now it's time to create the image. You have two options: (1) Either leave the image as big as it is and just keep the selected components from extracting when Vista Setup runs. (2) Or you can choose to rebuild the image, removing all Vista editions except the one you customised and really stripping out all the components you selected. I chose to rebuild the image to reduce its size. It's working now... :) CPU usage is at about 30% on a Core Duo, i.e. 60% on one of the two cores.

- Be sure to have enough free space on the drive where your "Temp" folder is because that's where the content of the new .WIM image is constructed. (That has interrupted my first test for now because I have run out of space on my Windows drive...) So far the results are looking good.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:06 pm 
FTP Access

Very nice, vlite will be very good, because the OS has many garbage like the languages oder printer drivers.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:28 pm 
Donator

Quote:
Very nice, vlite will be very good, because the OS has many garbage like the languages oder printer drivers.

What's garbage and what not depends completely on the point of view, though. What I consider garbage is most of that multimedia stuff. Printer drivers and languages might be necessary for some poeple, although it's maybe not for you (and me, for example).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:36 pm 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Quote:

What's garbage and what not depends completely on the point of view, though. What I consider garbage is most of that multimedia stuff. Printer drivers and languages might be necessary for some poeple, although it's maybe not for you (and me, for example).

It's silly if they put all that kind of stuff on the hard drive though - if you need a printer driver, why can't it just ask for the Vista DVD quickly, rather than having drivers for thousands of printers you don't own, and the same for languages. At least in OS X you get the option when you install it to save several GB of space by not installing languages and printer drivers that you aren't going to use.

They should go back to the system they had in Windows 9x, where you got the option when installing to deselect components you weren't going to use (in those days it only saved you a few MB, but now it could save you a lot of space - for instance you could deselect Media Centre, or you could choose whether you want all the drivers copied to the hard disk or whether you want just the ones you need now, and then any you need later will ask for the DVD, or just grab them off Windows Update).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:45 am 
Donator

im so using vlite on my image. The one thing i hated about Vista is the amount of space it takes up on the harddrive. I can't understand any language than english nor do i have 800 printers or a tablet pc. Who is going to get vista to fit on a cd first?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:01 pm 
Donator

Having Vista fit on a CD would mean having to create a very small image of about 500MB or something like that. I have a "Lite" Vista image, the install.wim is about 850MB. But it wasn't made by me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:26 am 
Donator

new Version is out: vLite 0.6 Beta

Quote:
v0.6 beta

* new: 64bit Windows Vista version support
* new: Windows Easy Transfer
* new: Windows Image Acquisition
* new: Windows Collaboration
* new: Scanner drivers
* update: Better filter managment
* update: When DVD selected it prompts to copy
* fix: non-Bootable DVD when using Direct Burn
* fix: Performance page dependency
* fix: Media center dependency
* fix: Windows Cardspace dependency

DL:
http://www.vlite.net/download.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:41 am 
Donator

It's getting better and better :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:42 am 
Donator

yes, but I want to have more options for unattended and integration for LPs

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:51 am 
Donator

I'm pretty sure this is going to come. I get a feeling I've to play around a bit more with the Windows AIK and BDD... Let's see what we can do to our Vista images. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:19 am 
Donator

this popped up rather quick didn't it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:39 am 
Donator

Indeed, but actually, I was expecting it real soon. Vista's just too big. :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:28 am 
Donator

well i suppose the person was working on it during the betas so one can expect it to be this early

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:21 am 
Donator

vLite 0.7 beta

Changelog:

Code:
   *  new: Multilanguage Vista versions support
   * new: Force Glass Effect (Tweaks)
   * new: Hibernation switch (Tweaks)
   * new: Clean temporary folder option (Options)
   * new: File protection option
   * fix: Mounting image error 5
   * components
   * new: Connect to a Network Projector
   * new: Sound controllers
   * new: Ethernet network adapters
   * new: Screensavers
   * new: Sync Center
   * new: Sideshow
   * fix: Help

DL:

http://www.vlite.net/download.html

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:08 am 
Donator

Very good. Luckie, have you already tried to use it on the Server? I guess it works, but verification is always better.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:42 am 
Donator

I didn't check this

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:44 am 
Donator

Would be good to know, but I think it does as I have already seen an apparently vLited Server Core ISO... It would be neat to remove all the unnecessary stuff from Server to make it fit your needs. :)

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next