BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 34d, 17h, 34m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5780MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:57 am 
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:04 pm

Posts
1022

Location
The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
XDude, Vista x64 offers better performance by actually using the hardware I paid for.
When comparing Vista x64 Ultimate with XP SP3 I have noticed:
    Faster Program load times

    ~4% speed improvement when doing math intensive calculations such as those with Rsoft

    .net 2 programs work faster (like Paint.Net)

    DirectX 10 is cool...

    It is far more effective in using my 8 core computer, unlike XP x64 it is not slowing itself by moving around the processes ever second...


There is one point I would agree with you on, its features aren't worth 200 USD, I would pay less then 30 USD but when buying a new computer I see little point of retaining XP.

_________________
Image
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:06 am 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat May 24, 2008 10:05 am

Posts
2045
Also, what xdude said about hardware on older pc's isnt true, vista runs rather smoothly on lower-end pc's, And with hardware compatibility, its just as og said earlier, How is this any different to the issues encountered in previous major releases.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:53 pm 
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:45 am

Posts
628

Location
UK
Ive found Vista to be far more stable than XP. After some 5 years of using XP and encountering multiple BSOD as well as other general OS slowdown over time resulting in a reinstall from time to time, the same cannot be said for Vista, at least in my experience. 18 months of Vista and 1 BSOD. A BSOD I can replicate at any time I might add so it is easily avoided. All I need to do is NOT plug headphones into my Audigy2's external unit. Apart from that I have not had a single problem worth mentioning. SP1 fixed a few minor annoyancies which is great, but they were little more than that, an annoyance, certainly nothing detrimental. In all, Vista is a nicer OS to use than XP the UI and navigation is more intuitive and the smaller details like display of total size of selected files without the need for right click and track tag editing from the explorer shell make doing menail tasks alot easier. Its the small things that make a big difference. XP is just, well, dull.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:49 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:40 am

Posts
1513
jabster wrote:
Also, what xdude said about hardware on older pc's isnt true, vista runs rather smoothly on lower-end pc's, And with hardware compatibility, its just as og said earlier, How is this any different to the issues encountered in previous major releases.

I found it qute slow on certain computer that I used, maybe cause of the low ram they had.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:41 pm 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:22 am

Posts
2365
Here is the website for it: http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

It says that videos should be out on the 29th.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:08 am 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri May 18, 2007 9:39 am

Posts
953

Location
My house
There is only one thing that I hate about Windows Vista: the compatibility issues. I have had to upgrade a few of my applications just so they can run on Vista. I don't know why they had to discontinue support for old stuff, but soon when Vista is around for a long time, all the software developers will have caught up and soon there will be no software compatibility issues with current software. I wonder if Windows 7 will have compatibility issues like Vista.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:30 am 
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:30 pm

Posts
303
mdogg wrote:
There is only one thing that I hate about Windows Vista: the compatibility issues. I have had to upgrade a few of my applications just so they can run on Vista. I don't know why they had to discontinue support for old stuff, but soon when Vista is around for a long time, all the software developers will have caught up and soon there will be no software compatibility issues with current software. I wonder if Windows 7 will have compatibility issues like Vista.

The thing is people should be expecting that. Sure it was probably more dramatic with XP (before everyone figured out how to use the Program Compatibility Wizard), but it always happens.

In fact all the problems that Vista has encountered have been the same with every other OS basically.

1) Slower than previous OS on current hardware
2) Program Incompatibility
3) Hardware Incompatibility (x64, although it has improved)
4) Bugs and misc errors (solved as OS matures)

There's a reason its called being on the cutting edge.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:38 am 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:22 am

Posts
2365
If only more people would listen to you when you say that.

Every piece of software that I use today works fine in Vista. Ask people that have experienced it about updating from 98 or ME to 2000 or XP? Tons of stuff didn't work, and some applications still don't. Mostly because no one used them anymore or better alternatives came around.

No, Windows 7 won't be as major a change. Expect mostly everything to continue working.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:39 am 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri May 18, 2007 9:39 am

Posts
953

Location
My house
logicaL wrote:
mdogg wrote:
There is only one thing that I hate about Windows Vista: the compatibility issues. I have had to upgrade a few of my applications just so they can run on Vista. I don't know why they had to discontinue support for old stuff, but soon when Vista is around for a long time, all the software developers will have caught up and soon there will be no software compatibility issues with current software. I wonder if Windows 7 will have compatibility issues like Vista.

The thing is people should be expecting that. Sure it was probably more dramatic with XP (before everyone figured out how to use the Program Compatibility Wizard), but it always happens.

In fact all the problems that Vista has encountered have been the same with every other OS basically.

1) Slower than previous OS on current hardware
2) Program Incompatibility
3) Hardware Incompatibility (x64, although it has improved)
4) Bugs and misc errors (solved as OS matures)

There's a reason its called being on the cutting edge.

I just find it annoying that old versions of software that I've used for quite a while I suddenly can't use.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:11 pm 
QuiescentWonder wrote:
Here is the website for it: http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

It says that videos should be out on the 29th.


i just saw that web site, i cant wait to see the video.
thx for the news! :)


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:29 pm 
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:58 pm

Posts
274

Location
The Bermuda Triangle

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
the only thing i have to "bash" about vista is its price, but then again, if im remembering correctly, people complained that XP was overpriced as well, so im stuck in the middle

Vista is overpriced
XP doesn't have DX10
Linux is a pain in the rear to get anything set up(ubuntu x64 in particular)

what i really want to see are the vids though... those should be a laugh

_________________
Image


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:24 pm 
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:38 pm

Posts
34

Location
The UK
I love this article. Absolute genius on M$'s part =D


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:02 pm 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri May 18, 2007 9:39 am

Posts
953

Location
My house
Yeah it should be fun to see the video on this.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:00 am 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:18 pm

Posts
760
The video is up now over at bointhemix's link, so separate interviews.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:05 am 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri May 18, 2007 9:39 am

Posts
953

Location
My house
viper wrote:
The video is up now over at bointhemix's link, so separate interviews.

You mean QuiescentWonder's link?

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:15 pm 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:18 pm

Posts
760
mdogg wrote:
viper wrote:
The video is up now over at bointhemix's link, so separate interviews.

You mean QuiescentWonder's link?


Oops, yes, you are correct :oops:

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:29 pm 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri May 18, 2007 9:39 am

Posts
953

Location
My house
I just watched the video and that's pretty cool.

//Coming from a guy that uses Vista :D

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2019

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS