BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 19h, 47m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5499MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Microsoft try out Codename "Mojave"        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Quote:
Spurred by an e-mail from someone deep in the marketing ranks, Microsoft last week traveled to San Francisco, rounding up Windows XP users who had negative impressions of Vista. The subjects were put on video, asked about their Vista impressions, and then shown a "new" operating system, code-named Mojave. More than 90 percent gave positive feedback on what they saw. Then they were told that "Mojave" was actually Windows Vista.

CNet News

I think it's interesting how people simply don't like Vista because of what they've heard. Ok, it wasn't quite perfect when it RTM'd, but now with SP1 and good driver support, it's pretty damn good. Certainly a match for XP on the majority of PCs in my opinion. Its a stable, secure (relatively) OS that performs Ok.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:34 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I think even when it RTM-ed it was better then XP, but I maybe biased because I only use the x64 version. I have a feeling that XP's longevity as MS's flagship made switching to Vista difficult because most people were used to using XP for the last 7 years...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:42 am 
FTP Access

Lol... sneaky trick there from MS

.. but yeh I've always like Vista

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:48 am 
FTP Access

Proof that the average Vista basher is an uninformed idiot.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:21 am 
FTP Access

If they didn't recognise Vista when they were shown it, how could they even have heard of it or know anything about it, surely they wouldn't even know enough about it to know what the common criticisms of it are for them to form these opinions based on what they've heard rather than actually having actually used it? :S

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:29 am 
Donator

I'm guessing they've seen it and might even have used it. The thing is that if you use Vista as you'd use XP it seem pretty lackluster, like a slightly buggier version of XP with a new skin. But once I started using the new features, the great new search for example, it became a very different OS.

As always, YMMV. All I know is that I've been running Vista as my main os since about beta 1 and it's been very good to me. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:29 am 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
If they didn't recognise Vista when they were shown it, how could they even have heard of it or know anything about it, surely they wouldn't even know enough about it to know what the common criticisms of it are for them to form these opinions based on what they've heard rather than actually having actually used it? :S

I think thats the point they are trying to make. The idea some people have of Vista is totaly unfounded, and their opinion of it is based on nothing except heresay. Either that or MS just selected XP users that have been living under a rock for the past 3 years.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:32 am 
Donator

OG wrote:
Proof that the average Vista basher is an uninformed idiot.

Exactly! I've been saying this all along.

The problem is that even some people who work on computers bash Vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:18 am 
Donator

One of my friends doesn't like Vista just because it's new and from Microsoft. It's not as if he's used it yet. When I told him that I had upgraded to Vista, he told me that I had "gone over to the dark side". :^)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:39 am 
mdogg wrote:
One of my friends doesn't like Vista just because it's new and from Microsoft. It's not as if he's used it yet. When I told him that I had upgraded to Vista, he told me that I had "gone over to the dark side". :^)

not against your or your friend, but i dont like such people, "its from m$, so its crappy", thats really annyoing

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:02 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Doesnt he use XP?

Thats also from Microsoft, so he is also on the dark side according to him.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:04 am 
Donator

DjRob wrote:
Doesnt he use XP?

Thats also from Microsoft, so he is also on the dark side according to him.

Yeah, he's using XP as well but he's buying a black MacBook soon in a hope to rid himself of "the dark side". 8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:14 am 
Donator

I know this is a rather dumb question, but why do people hate Microsoft?
I get hating product quality, or hating the high prices, but why just hate for no reason :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:28 am 
FTP Access

I know of some people who dislike MS simply because of the proprietorial nature of them which also extends to software developers and hardware manufacturers who's sole interest in development lies with the Windows operating system. These are your typical 1-3% Linux minority where because its free means it must be better. There's your 'Security Experts' who find no greater pleasure in poking something till it breaks and proclaiming it to be more of the same, again, usually Linux users. Then there are the hangers on who are not particularly intelligent enough to use Linux but wish they were so instead emulate their more knowledgeable peers by bashing Microsoft at every available opportunity while being to stupid themselves to even figure out Ubuntu. Mostly people just hate them becuase they are a very large, very rich corporation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:34 am 
Donator

he he, i forgot about the linux gang :P
But on a different note, i hate people who have endless love for microsoft (like my stupid i.t teacher) simply because they are, like you said, a very large, very rich corporation. I guess its a simular kind of ignorance. Generally i just dont like people who dont have there own, personal opinions on microsoft and vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Breaking news: Conservatives are stupid

People hate Microsoft because somehow they're responsible for every single computer problem ever.

E: [censored] missed 13:37

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:59 pm 
Donator

Hey, you want good examples of all of these points, read the post's at the bottom of that news article, i dunno weather some of those people are pathetic or funny :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:11 pm 
FTP Access

Quote:
I don't think Mojave will really work very well, because the whole reason why people don't like Vista...yada yada yada.....Don't get me wrong, I'm a Linux user so I don't want Vista to succeed.

ROFLMAO. They either didnt bother reading the article, completely failed to grasp the point of the article, or suffer from severe form of dyslexia.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:13 pm 
Donator

Yep, and thats just 1 of 117 incredibly informed comments :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:59 pm 
Donator

This was a low-ball. They were "shown" an OS. Vista LOOKS great. The issues come from USING it. Being that these people never formed an opinion on using it, saying "90% preferred it" is practically a flat out lie.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:05 pm 
Donator

RentedMule wrote:
This was a low-ball. They were "shown" an OS. Vista LOOKS great. The issues come from USING it. Being that these people never formed an opinion on using it, saying "90% preferred it" is practically a flat out lie.

I'm not going to argue with that, but I also worry about the integrity of the participants if they are unable to identify vista. Hopefully we'll get to see the video and this will clear up the specifics.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:46 pm 
FTP Access

Which 'issues' would those be? And are those issues any different than issues encountered in previous major releases? I very much doubt so. I think what we have here is a majority generation of computer users who's first experience with a computer was a computer running XP. From what I can see, the only people that can actualy take Vista on its merits were already computer literate when the XP transition occured, so for them, this is nothing new. You simply adopt, adapt, and stfu. For those who only know XP, its a culture shock and for all intents and purposes they're still noobs with alot to learn about what most of us already accept as 'progress'.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:02 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
jabster wrote:
RentedMule wrote:

I'm not going to argue with that, but I also worry about the integrity of the participants if they are unable to identify vista. Hopefully we'll get to see the video and this will clear up the specifics.

I don't think it was intended to determine the problems with Vista, Microsoft are well aware of what many of the problems were, and are working towards fixing them in Windows 7. I think this was done more to gauge how much bias now exists in the market. These 90% of people will not use Vista, because it is Vista. Some may have had early bad experiences with Drivers, etc, and others may just be going on what they here, but the chances of them using something labelled 'Vista' is slim.

This will be useful information to Microsoft. It'll allow them to determine whether 7 should be more of a fixed Vista or a new OS. If the image of Vista is so bad, that they can't make much more progress, they will focus more on Windows 7 and improving it in comparison to Vista, and work towards getting out as soon as possible, because they need to be shipping an OS. If they got the impression that the image of Vista could be rescued, they could devote some resources to Vista, and give 7 more time, as there would be less need to get a new OS out. This in turn would allow them to try doing a few more things with 7 that they otherwise wouldn't have time to do.

Microsoft are reaching a critical point in the development phase. According to a leaked rough schedule, they plan to have it move into Beta early next year, and at that point they won't be able to delay much further, or add any significant changes. If the indication is Vista can still sell, then they may consider postponing the point at which it enters Beta, and decide to spend a few more months developing new features.

Ultimately, its more of a scheme to determine how much breathing space MS have with Vista/7.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:19 pm 
FTP Access

I was under the impression that Vista was only ever going to be a stop gap OS anyway. Regardless, if extending the run of Vista means there will be less for people to whine about when 7 hits the shelves, that can only be a good thing for MS. The launch of Vista was very poorly handled, not all MS' fault I might add, so they undoubtedly have some confidence issues that will only be resolved by proving they can actually get something right once in a while.

One thing I'd like to see in 7, updates which require a reboot flagged so they can be avoided untill you know you are going to reboot. A simple request really. :idea:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:30 pm 
Donator

It's because of the high-end requirements and lack of legacy hardware support that killed the whole OS
It's too big of jump for people to handle plus XP is adequate for most people, so why waste money and buy vista? It's pretty expensive for an upgrade, until recently.

Windows 7 wouldn't be a huge leap into the next gerneration OS, thus version 6.1 seems to be right for now. The only people who would be upgrading from Vista to 7 are those who upgraded Tiger to Leopard and will upgrade to Snow Leopard. There aren't alot of "those" people.

People upgraded to XP because it has surperiour performance over Windows Me. For Windows 2000, the XP upgrade didn't come until 2k expired since companies didn't spend the money until they are forced to. Vista doesn't offer any benifets to XP user besides looking nice.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next