Windows Small Business Server 2008 RC1

New news and release discussion.
Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Windows Small Business Server 2008 RC1

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Just got an email from MS to say that RC1 of SBS 2008 is available on Connect now (4 GB disc image), make sure you fill out the survey if you want to receive the DVDs in a few weeks time

Pureelite
Donator

Post by Pureelite »

Thanks for the news, i will want to test this like i tested the other versions.

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

thanks, I've just filled out the survey to get the DVDs
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

Beta_Vistaglass
FTP Access

Post by Beta_Vistaglass »

I have a question!
I'm a participant of "Centro External Techbeta Program", which is now EBS08. How can I join SBS08 Beta program on MS Connect?

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

Do these DVDs get posted to you or can you download them?

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Beta_Vistaglass wrote:I have a question!
I'm a participant of "Centro External Techbeta Program", which is now EBS08. How can I join SBS08 Beta program on MS Connect?
Probably it is to late -the RC1 will be publicly available next week...

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

mdogg wrote:Do these DVDs get posted to you or can you download them?
Both, if you're on the beta programme (you have to go and fill out the survey if you want the physical discs though)

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
mdogg wrote:Do these DVDs get posted to you or can you download them?
Both, if you're on the beta programme (you have to go and fill out the survey if you want the physical discs though)
Ah, okay. It would be cool to get the original disks but it would be quicker to download it. I wonder which one I should do.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

mdogg wrote:Ah, okay. It would be cool to get the original disks but it would be quicker to download it. I wonder which one I should do.
You can order the discs and download it

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

Daniel wrote:
mdogg wrote:Ah, okay. It would be cool to get the original disks but it would be quicker to download it. I wonder which one I should do.
You can order the discs and download it
Yeah but I don't think it would be wise to do both.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

Downloading 10GB is too much with a [censored] restiction from my ISP.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

XDude wrote:Downloading 10GB is too much with a [censored] restiction from my ISP.
I didn't realize it was as big as 10GB. I won't be able to download it then. My ISP gives me a 7GB limit and I don't want to download >3GB on dial-up speeds.

Well I guess it's postage for me.

darthtk118
FTP Access

Post by darthtk118 »

This might sound stupid, but the only survey I found for SBS 2008 was the four-question participation survey. I can't find one with a shipping option anywhere...

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

mdogg wrote:
XDude wrote:Downloading 10GB is too much with a [censored] restiction from my ISP.
I didn't realize it was as big as 10GB. I won't be able to download it then. My ISP gives me a 7GB limit and I don't want to download >3GB on dial-up speeds.

AFAIK, the first dvd is 4GB which is all you need to test the basic version.
the second and third dvd combine is 5GB+ and is required if you need to test the premium version. Whats there a fourth dvd too? I dont remember

Well, i could tell that you have never tested any recent windows, all windows today is atleast 3GB in size.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

XDude wrote:
mdogg wrote:

AFAIK, the first dvd is 4GB which is all you need to test the basic version.
the second and third dvd combine is 5GB+ and is required if you need to test the premium version. Whats there a fourth dvd too? I dont remember

Well, i could tell that you have never tested any recent windows, all windows today is atleast 3GB in size.
Correct. The latest version of Windows I've downloaded is Vista Ultimate (using right now). I'm planning on downloading Windows 7 M1 however. I just need to check if my bandwidth has enough gigabytes free.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

@mdogg:

Why not download from mrpijey's server then.
It has the build in parts of 50MB each.

So can you download what you can, and the rest next month.

UltimateGTR
Donator

Re: Windows Small Business Server 2008 RC1

Post by UltimateGTR »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:Just got an email from MS to say that RC1 of SBS 2008 is available on Connect now (4 GB disc image), make sure you fill out the survey if you want to receive the DVDs in a few weeks time
Thanks for the news, maybe I can get the physical discs from MS for the first time!

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

DjRob wrote:@mdogg:

Why not download from mrpijey's server then.
It has the build in parts of 50MB each.

So can you download what you can, and the rest next month.
Good idea. I never thought of that. I will download the first four parts and then download the rest the next month. (I've used up 7GB of my quota and don't want to use it all up just yet).

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

You only need DVD 1 (4 GB) - 2 and 3 are just x86 and x64 versions of regular Server 2008 for the second Windows server that the SBS Premium licence includes, and DVD 4 is just SQL Server 2008 CTP for use with the second server.

If you're in the private beta programme, http://connect.microsoft.com/cougar/Sur ... veyID=6548 will get you to the survey for requesting the DVD set.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:You only need DVD 1 (4 GB) - 2 and 3 are just x86 and x64 versions of regular Server 2008 for the second Windows server that the SBS Premium licence includes, and DVD 4 is just SQL Server 2008 CTP for use with the second server.

If you're in the private beta programme, http://connect.microsoft.com/cougar/Sur ... veyID=6548 will get you to the survey for requesting the DVD set.
Now I'm really not sure. It would be nice to get the original media but it would be quick to download. Does shipping cost anything?

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Nope, it doesn't cost anything. Why not get both? They won't care, I doubt they even monitor who downloads what! Though the discs don't take too long to come anyway.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:Nope, it doesn't cost anything. Why not get both? They won't care, I doubt they even monitor who downloads what! Though the discs don't take too long to come anyway.
I clicked on the link posted but I only get this message:
What does it mean?

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

mdogg wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:Nope, it doesn't cost anything. Why not get both? They won't care, I doubt they even monitor who downloads what! Though the discs don't take too long to come anyway.
What does it mean?
It means, you are not in this beta program and therefore you can't get the dvds.
Either you are not invited in this beta testing programing or you sign in with the wrong email.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

XDude wrote:
mdogg wrote:
What does it mean?
It means, you are not in this beta program and therefore you can't get the dvds.
Either you are not invited in this beta testing programing or you sign in with the wrong email.
How do you get into the beta program?

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

You had to use a Connect Invitation ID that was made publically available quite a while ago, it'll be too late now - there are two beta programmes, this one which opened with Beta 2 of SBS, and the public one that opened much more recently with RC0 (but you can't get the DVDs on the public beta).