BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 55d, 13h, 13m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 5782MB of 10831MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Windows Vista AIK - RTM        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:29 am 
FTP Access

i have found the download for Vista Automated Installation Kit (AIK) :)

English Version

German Version

French Version

Japanese Version

Spanish Version

Last edited by joecool on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:51 am 
Donator

Great! But wait... an IMG file? What are we supposed to do with it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:52 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Doesnt it work with VMWare and VPC? Or is it like an ISO?

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:54 am 
FTP Access

IMG is just another type of disc image, like ISO.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:55 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

So NERO should be able to open it then?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:56 am 
FTP Access

you can burn an *.img with "Nero" ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:57 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
joecool wrote:
you can burn an *.img with "Nero" ;)

You learn something new everyday :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:59 am 
Donator

Downloading the German version now, will report back. Judging from the size of the file (688MB), it seems to be something like an ISO.

edit Others were faster :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:02 am 
FTP Access

The Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) helps you to install, customize, and deploy the Microsoft Windows Vista™ family of operating systems.

The Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) is designed to help corporate IT professionals customize and deploy the Microsoft Windows Vista™ family of operation systems. By using Windows AIK, you can perform unattended Windows installations, capture Windows images with ImageX, and create Windows PE images.

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 SP1; Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista
• Windows XP SP2 with KB926044
• Windows Server 2003 SP1 with KB926044
• Windows Server 2003 SP2
• Windows Vista family

1. Click the Download button on this page to start the download
2. Click Save or Save this program to your computer. Windows AIK is distributed as an .iso file.
3. Burn the saved iso to a DVD
4. Insert the DVD into the machine
5. Click Windows AIK Setup to begin the installation

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:06 am 
Donator

joecool wrote:
The Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) helps you to install, customize, and deploy the Microsoft Windows Vista™ family of operating systems.

The Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) is designed to help corporate IT professionals customize and deploy the Microsoft Windows Vista™ family of operation systems. By using Windows AIK, you can perform unattended Windows installations, capture Windows images with ImageX, and create Windows PE images.

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 SP1; Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista
• Windows XP SP2 with KB926044
• Windows Server 2003 SP1 with KB926044
• Windows Server 2003 SP2
• Windows Vista family

1. Click the Download button on this page to start the download
2. Click Save or Save this program to your computer. Windows AIK is distributed as an .iso file.
3. Burn the saved iso to a DVD
4. Insert the DVD into the machine
5. Click Windows AIK Setup to begin the installation

Thanks for these instructions. :) The AIK is very useful in my eyes and comes with a very good and detailed documentation that deals with the usage scenarios and even covers building custom WinPE images. For me, the most interesting thing in the AIK is Windows PE 2.0 for creating bootable Windows "Live" or rescue CDs/DVDs. I'm looking forward to seeing any improvements WinPE2.0 has to offer . :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:20 am 
Donator

I installed it this morning :) It's fantastic. No I can build my WinPE 2.0 :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:10 am 
FTP Access

And now also the English Version is avaible ;)

English Version

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:34 am 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

So NERO should be able to open it then?

Or just mount it with a virtual drive.

How come the English version is too big for a CD, while the other languages are not? Annoying :x

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:22 am 
Donator

Seems strange... But the RC1 and RC2 versions of it were too big to fit on a CD as well. They were between 750 and 850 MBs IIRC... At least there is an English version :) Downloading now! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:05 am 
Donator

This is nice, but why is it 800mb? Isn't it just a collection of tools? This is going to take a while to grab...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:16 am 
FTP Access

I wonder when the OPK is coming out (RC1 OPK is available on the Microsoft System Builder Website)

That being said, I'm surprised that those are being handed out as public downloads.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:22 am 
Donator

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
This is nice, but why is it 800mb? Isn't it just a collection of tools? This is going to take a while to grab...

Let's see (sizes are taken from the WAIK RC2, but shouldn't be that different in the final build):

.NET Framework for x86, x64 & IA64: 120 MB
WAIK itself for x86, x64 & IA64: 320 MB
Windows PE 2.0 for x86, x64 and maybe IA64: 320 MB

So, that should answer your question. These tools are quite big, indeed... :)

That being said, you can probably reduce the size of the English WAIK image (and thus make it fit on a 700MB CD) by removing some unnecessary stuff, i.e. the .NET framework and WAIK files for the IA64 architecture for example.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:24 pm 
Donator

empireum wrote:
That being said, you can probably reduce the size of the English WAIK image (and thus make it fit on a 700MB CD) by removing some unnecessary stuff, i.e. the .NET framework and WAIK files for the IA64 architecture for example.

:shock: great :) Is it described in the WAIK?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:48 pm 
Donator

Luckie wrote:
empireum wrote:

:shock: great :) Is it described in the WAIK?

I guess not :) I would just remove these files from the DVD (image) and test it out. I was talking about reducing the size of the WAIK image itself, not about reducing Vista's or WinPE's size (although that would be great as well), to prevent a misunderstanding.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:01 am 
FTP Access

Just a couple of quick questions about this:

-Is it a trial version or the real deal? I thought they don't give away this kind of stuff?

-How easy is it to make working WinPE/custom install images with this?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:17 am 
Donator

I guess it's the real version, but I haven't tested it yet. Am doing it soon, however. edit: It seems it's the "real deal" as I didn't see any mention of a timebomb or something like that.

Making WinPE images is quite easy IMHO. They have a very good documentation on that. It even creates the bootable ISO for you. It's just a matter of doing some quick commands in the command-line, but as I have already said, it's very easy and well described in the documentation which is basically a step-by-step guide that tells you exactly which commands to enter when, where and how. :)

edit I just finished making my first customized WinPE2.0 image using the AIK. Basically, here's what you do (and I can only repeat it, it's really well described in the help files):

1. Create a base WinPE image using the command-line (one command). You have to specify the target dir and the arch (x86, amd64 or ia64).
2. Mount this base WinPE image into a directory on a NTFS partition (one command).
3. Customize the base WinPE image either by adding more packages to it or by just copying needed files into the directory of the later image (multiple commands).
4. Finalize the image (one command).
5. Unmount the image (one command).
6. Create an ISO of the image that's to be burned on CD (one command).

And then you have your Windows PE 2.0 iimage that can boot from CD, HD or RAM disk. Here's a crappy GIF screenshot of what you'll most likely get when booting a WinPE2.0 image (unless you're running some fancy shell, of course). When booting an image into RAM, you'll need at least (size of image + 100) MB of RAM to boot. The bog standard image is about 156MB, so I guess ~100MB is the sweet spot for PE (i.e. you need at least 256MB of RAM).
So, it doesn't look that much different than in Vista setup or than WinPE 1.x, does it? :wink: I hope we'll soon be able to customize this even further, i.e. add an Explorer shell and that stuff. Drive X is the RAM disk the WinPE.wim image gets loaded into. You can also build a CD that doesn't load the image into RAM but runs it from a CD, but (a) this will be substantially slower and (b) this doesn't allow you to remove the CD. If you need to, you can also boot Windows PE from HD, it's configured like another Vista/Longhorn install in the boot manager, I guess. Ah, it's all well documented in the documentation. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
Using a DVD with only 829MB is pretty annoying. I'll try with an overburn CD that is 870MB.

btw my Nero can't open it :(

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:48 pm 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
I hope we'll soon be able to customize this even further, i.e. add an Explorer shell and that stuff.

So it's not possible to add Explorer using the WAIK? That's a shame - I always wanted a PE that is just like a real version of Windows, but when I've tried it before (with XP PE) the Explorer you eventually get always seems to barely work.

tpemail wrote:
Using a DVD with only 829MB is pretty annoying. I'll try with an overburn CD that is 870MB.

btw my Nero can't open it :(

I just removed the .NET framework installers from the CD image, as you don't need it. I think you may need to delete the Itanium stuff as well to fit it under 700 MB, if you want to avoid overburning (I do as they say it can damage the CD drive). I opened it fine with the newest version of UltraIso (I got fed up with Nero as it started giving me annoying messages claiming it wasn't licensed properly, and it now takes up so much space when UltraIso is small and does everything you need) - are you perhaps using an old version of Nero? Some of the newer formats like UDF need a newish program to open, I think.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:06 am 
Donator

Quote:
So it's not possible to add Explorer using the WAIK? That's a shame - I always wanted a PE that is just like a real version of Windows, but when I've tried it before (with XP PE) the Explorer you eventually get always seems to barely work.

Have you tried the XPe plugin for XP PE?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
are you perhaps using an old version of Nero? Some of the newer formats like UDF need a newish program to open, I think.

I'm using Nero 6 Sony OEM ver. As Nero7 made me mad :x
Perhaps I'll try other software like ISOBuster..etc

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next