BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 21h, 12m | CPU: 28% | MEM: 2053MB of 4305MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: New Need For Speed Game is ready        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:34 am 
FTP Access

The latest EA investors meeting was a great opportunity for the company's boss, John Riccitiello to unveil a host of new and exciting projects.

We have already reported that Godfather II was announced as a combination between a GTA and a RTS game and now we are really excited to tell you that a new title in the Need For Speed franchise has been unveiled!

Dubbed NFS Undercover, it has already been in development for a long time according to Riccitiello (at least, longer than the previous title in the franchise). According to website Eurogamer, EA's boss admitted that the company was torturing the developers with their 12-month development cycles for eight years in a row, but that changed:

"Last summer we added head count and split the team in two, so now there are two teams on a 24 month cycle," stated Riccitiello."We were torturing a very talented group of people up in Vancouver, which makes it harder to be as innovative every year. So, I think we are going to get better from here."

We truly hope so, because the last installments of the NFS games were pretty much the same thing. Electronic Arts' boss seems to have the same opinion, stating that Pro Street was an "okay game", not a good one and Undercover is going to change the situation by bringing in a richer storyline. Also, Riccitiello stated that the new Need For Speed game would take some inspiration from action movies such as The Transporter. Having this in mind and judging by the really cool title, we'd tend to believe that Need For Speed Undercover might be as original as a sequel can get. We just hope we're not wrong - and we'll see that whenever EA decides to offer more details on the game.

As expected, no release date has been announced and we don't even know which platforms the game is developed for, but we have a feeling that, like the previous ones, it will be made available on every single platform on the market.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:46 pm 
FTP Access

As long as it stays more like NFS of recent years and less like, say, Driv3r (in terms of storyline). ProStreet was less than an ok game, it was complete crap. Free roam is what sells NFS these days because people want to roam, not just drive round and round the same old bits of track for months on end, and thats why ProStreet phailed on an epic scale. What would also help in NFS is a bit of realism. No perpetual day or everlasiting night, but both, and even some simple crap like having to buy gas to keep your shed on the road and tyres that wear after a couple of hundred miles of races (or less, they dont last long when thrashed proper). I think it would be funny seeing some dude driving a Carerra GT run out of fuel half way through a race becuase he spent all his dosh on that turbo upgrade. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:50 pm 
FTP Access

yep everythin u said is tru, but u gtta admit, car damage was cool in pro street, same thing abt d graphics.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:08 am 
Donator

saeedsaf wrote:
yep everythin u said is tru, but u gtta admit, car damage was cool in pro street, same thing abt d graphics.

Race Driver: GRID has better car damage and graphics... and it's easier to play too :D

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:05 pm 
FTP Access

I think the cars are actually easier to drive in ProStreet - GRID is good (especially the graphics) but it's pretty hard to do well I think, the AI is very aggressive and it always seems much easier to end up off the road than in NFS (it seems to run very fast and very small inputs on the keyboard seem able to spin the car round), as well as the cars getting pretty badly damaged with just a few small-ish impacts whereas in ProStreet you can smash the other cars out of the way and use walls to get round corners faster with little impact on your cars performance for the rest of the race. ProStreet's not as good as Most Wanted and Carbon, but it's not bad for just an ordinary racing game, there's plenty of cars and the graphics and damage are very realistic.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:18 pm 
FTP Access

Problem is, keyboards are ass for driving games, moreso than the d-pad on a controller. Both are strictly on/off affairs, there is no gradiant. Control is far better with analog sticks or a wheel, both of which allow for incrimental throttle and steering. GRID is a far better game than ProStreet. Better cars, better tracks, better graphics, better gameplay. I never played ProStreet online but if the rest is anything to go by, GRID is better at that too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:42 pm 
FTP Access

I've never played online either, I always just play against the PC. Yeh, a keyboard isn't like a real car where the controls are variable but it's all I've got! - it's always been great for NFS (I've got pretty much all the NFS games back to NFS III Hot Pursuit, love them) though. GRID is worth it for the graphics and damage modelling alone though, and the atmosphere generated by the reactions of the spectators is pretty cool too! Another thing that makes it trickier than NFS though is the way the car tends to spin around or come to a complete stop pretty much straight away if you go onto the grass, whereas in NFS you can go off-road on most of the tracks to take big shortcuts without it being much slower to drive on than the tarmac.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:14 pm 
FTP Access

If you think GRID is bad for going off road, steer well clear of the GTR sims. :P In all reality though, it is more realistic. I mean if you ever watch say touring cars, when they hit the grass they dont just carry on like nothing happened, they either slow right down while everyone esle passes them, or spin off into a tyre wall. Likewise with gravel traps, irl you hit one of those and you're race is pretty much finished. I'd say its a balance between what it's really like to drive in a race and maintaining playability. If it was a full on racing simulator, it would be far to difficult for most people, if was too arcade like, no one would want to play it. A good example of the latter is Sega Rally Revo. Decent graphics, totaly unrealistic, easily forgotten.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:39 pm 
Donator

Well I deinstalled GRID after an hour gaming.. it is un-playable with keyboard. The steering is crap when you're using a keyboard. Anyway. I deinstalled prostreet after 10 minutes. It is quite nice on the ps3 with an steering wheel and all the stuff you need ;) (it was in a car-case :P) and that was actually a kinda good feeling but well... Im actually looking forward to that game..

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:29 am 
FTP Access

Ludacris wrote:
Well I deinstalled GRID after an hour gaming.. it is un-playable with keyboard. The steering is crap when you're using a keyboard. Anyway. I deinstalled prostreet after 10 minutes. It is quite nice on the ps3 with an steering wheel and all the stuff you need ;) (it was in a car-case :P) and that was actually a kinda good feeling but well... Im actually looking forward to that game..

GRID is much easier after you get used to it, I had the same problem when I started playing it. If you really can't use a keyboard on it, buy a wired xbox 360 controller for 20 bucks or so and it's much easier.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]