BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 49d, 5h, 54m | CPU: 85% | MEM: 5619MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Release a Fortnight 20th March 2008        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:23 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello all and welcome to release a fortnight! I know everyone is excited so I'll cut the chase and say thanks to everyone who contributed to tonights releases.

Release 1:
DotNET BETA Build 3541 Adv. Server.rar - 488MB

These files are now available on all of the official FTP servers! Download away!

EDIT: Sorry its late, I forgot, lol.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:32 pm 
Administrator

<:o) (^) !

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:36 pm 
Donator

Thanks for that. That one is a weird baby:

Setup screen says "Windows 2002 Advanced Server".
Boot screen says "Windows Advanced Server Limited Edition" (just as in the IA64 version).
Logon screen says "Whistler Advanced Server".
Desktop says "Windows .NET Enterprise Server".
System Properties say "Windows XP Advanced Server".
About Windows says "Windows XP Professional".

Last edited by empireum on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:37 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
empireum wrote:
Hmm, all I see on SillyProject is build 3718. Am I missing something? Anyway, thanks for that, as it still identifies itself as Whistler partially (and also as 2002, XP and .NET, lol).

Its just finished uploading to SP. Remember BA is the master server, SP is updated as and when I have time.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:43 pm 
Donator

Thanks Andy, noticed it just some seconds ago and edited my post. And you told me there were no Whistlers even though this one identifies itself as Whistler Advanced Server :)

Last edited by empireum on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:44 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
empireum wrote:
Thanks Andy, noticed it just some seconds ago and edited my post. Almost finished DLing. And you told me there were no Whistlers even though this one identifies itself as Whistler Advanced Server :)

If I told you it wouldn't be a surprise would it :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
I hate to be harsh, but it seems that the betas I'm intrested in seem to have been abandoned. I saw someone else (I'm pretty sure it was an Ex OSBA Member) who was asking the same kind of question, and he was asking it, since everything that was leaked he already had for years except the MS-DOS 5.0 Release Candidate. And I can understand him. I feel the same way. The Chicago and Memphis Betas seem to have been abandoned, and are becoming rarer and rarer everyday. :(

Edit: Wait a minute? Is this some kind of Whistler Beta? If it actually was released before Windows XP, then I'm sorry, I never did DotNET Betas before, so I wouldn't know. :^)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:00 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
WinPC wrote:
I hate to be harsh, but it seems that the betas I'm intrested in seem to have been abandoned. I saw someone else (I'm pretty sure it was an Ex OSBA Member) who was asking the same kind of question, and he was asking it, since everything that was leaked he already had for years except the MS-DOS 5.0 Release Candidate. And I can understand him. I feel the same way. The Chicago and Memphis Betas seem to have been abandoned, and are becoming rarer and rarer everyday. :(

Edit: Wait a minute? Is this some kind of Whistler Beta? If it actually was released before Windows XP, then I'm sorry, I never did DotNET Betas before, so I wouldn't know. :^)

Yes it is Whistler.

Unfortunately because they are getting rarer, we can't actually get hold of any to release. We KNOW people have them but are too tight to release them (to prevent flaming this will not be discussed). People expect everything for nothing in return and thats what's making it so hard.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Andy wrote:
WinPC wrote:

Yes it is Whistler.

Unfortunately because they are getting rarer, we can't actually get hold of any to release. We KNOW people have them but are too tight to release them (to prevent flaming this will not be discussed). People expect everything for nothing in return and thats what's making it so hard.
Well, I'm going to at least try to share what I have, and I promise that if I get any unleaked classic betas, I'll share it with you. I can think of a few people here who would want the thing I have.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:09 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I hope you do decide to share what you have. I can only apologize that we can't give anything in return that you would like.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Thanks to betaarchive and of course the uploader for this great release.
Its now downloading.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:19 pm 
Donator

@WinPC
Instead of complaining that X and Y aren't released, you should be glad that these things we have get released at all. Noone is forced to share, that's the way it is. And I can imagine the person sharing these releases is not really looking forward to hear such comments. The releases that have been unleashed so far aren't among my favourites either, but have you seen me complaining and nagging about that? No. There may be other members who may like the releases and for those, the scheme's something to look forward to.

And to answer your question, yes, this build was released before XP went "gold".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:26 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
empireum wrote:
@WinPC
Instead of complaining that X and Y aren't released, you should be glad that these things we have get released at all. Noone is forced to share, that's the way it is. And I can imagine the person sharing these releases is not really looking forward to hear such comments. The releases that have been unleashed so far aren't among my favourites either, but have you seen me complaining and nagging about that? No. There may be other members who may like the releases and for those, the scheme's something to look forward to.

And to answer your question, yes, this build was released before XP went "gold".
Well I apoligize then, and I complained partly because I didn't now that this Beta that was released was released before Windows XP, I thought it was newer. And again, I'm sorry, I just don't know much about DotNET Builds.

Also, is there anything special about this release? And is it for I386 or is it for something like Itanium?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:28 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Nothing special, its just we didn't have it so it was released.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:29 pm 
Donator

WinPC wrote:
Well I apoligize then, and I complained partly because I didn't now that this Beta that was released was released before Windows XP, I thought it was newer.

Until someone decides to "leak" some older Chicago/Memphis/whatever builds, you and everyone else will have to accept what's being leaked, that's the way it is.

WinPC wrote:
And is it for I386 or is it for something like Itanium?

It's for x86.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:56 pm 
Donator

ahh, I remember I had this build somewhere a long time ago, looks like i dont have to find it after all

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:20 pm 
Donator

As a side-note, #3541 is also the first Whistler Server build to come in the Blade/Web server flavor. Wonder if we'll ever find that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
Very cool. I beta tested dotnet when it was a release candidate. I never actually realized that any older builds like this one existed outside of Microsoft, and will have to give it a look. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
Cool, although i have no clue about DotNet betas.

What did DotNet "evolved" into? What was it before it came DotNet?

Sorry guys, i REALLY don't know about DotNet. :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:33 am 
FTP Access

It's just what Server 2003 was called after XP was released and so it was no longer called Codename Whistler - .Net Server 2003 was originally going to be the release name but they changed it at the last minute (after RC2). The frantic work to get the name changed everywhere in the OS is why in Longhorn they reduced the number of places the name is stored in the system so that it's easier to change, and this is why some of the LH builds are branded "onghornLay rofessionalPay" as they were testing to see if changing the name now copied through to everywhere in the OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:36 am 
Donator

DotNET was sort of a codename used for Windows Server 2003. Early builds (22xx – 3541 I believe) were called Whistler Server mostly, then renamed to Windows .NET Server (3562 to 3663 IIRC), then renamed to Windows .NET Server 2003 (3678 – 3742), then renamed to Windows Server 2003. In other words, this is a beta of Windows Server 2003, older than beta 3 and called "beta 2 refresh" AFAIK.

Vista beat me to it :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:22 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Thanks for this release, but who uploaded it?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:20 am 
Andy wrote:
We KNOW people have them but are too tight to release them (to prevent flaming this will not be discussed).

Too tight has nothing to do with it, not being a doormat is more the case..

Andy wrote:
I don't see why people won't leak rare stuff... It makes no sense.

This is obviously aimed at people like me, I've PM'd you the reasons why...
I'm not going to bother trashing another thread... :^)

I don't reward insubordinates, too gutless to make public apologies...
Never mind a private apology...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:05 am 
Donator

If I don't want people after you for having stuff but not leaking, I wouldn't tell the world I have it. Without showing off, I wouldn't make half the forum jealous.
Of course I will still reserve the rights not to release it, reveal more info or talk about it, but then we have some people saying "greedy, selfish and etc." Which I will be offended if such happens.
Also, I want to add, if I had something, I would like people to be actually nice to me if they want something. Such as uploading WAIKs for vista for those who wants it.

This post is not pointed to any member of this (or other) forum. That's why I used "I", meaning myself in this post.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:28 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Ken, its not aimed at you because you have a fine good reason not to release things you have. You should know that by now.

Its aimed at the people I have spoken to or people I know who have spoken to others who have revealed the fact they have these files but won't share them, but then expect me or the other person to give them something for free!

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next