BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 8h, 59m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 2342MB of 3971MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Kentucky to make anonymous posting illegal        Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Tim Couch

WTVQ wrote:
Kentucky Representative Tim Couch filed a bill this week to make anonymous posting online illegal.

The bill would require anyone who contributes to a website to register their real name, address and e-mail address with that site.

Their full name would be used anytime a comment is posted.

If the bill becomes law, the website operator would have to pay if someone was allowed to post anonymously on their site. The fine would be five-hundred dollars for a first offense and one-thousand dollars for each offense after that.

Representative Couch says he filed the bill in hopes of cutting down on online bullying. He says that has especially been a problem in his Eastern Kentucky district.

Action News 36 asked people what they thought about the bill.

Some said they felt it was a violation of First Amendment rights. Others say it is a good tool toward eliminating online harassment.

Represntative Couch says enforcing this bill if it became law would be a challenge.

http://www.wtvq.com/content/midatlantic/tvq/video.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-05-0011.html

Awesome, more silly politicians doing something about that horrible Inter-Net to buy votes.
There is no better way to eliminate online harassment than by making sure everything you post has your legal name on it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
if he thought this through he would realise there is no way enforce this law

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
He said enforcing the law would be difficult, once we get the online packet monitoring, you know, the one to monitor for compliance up it won't be a problem, though the UK is years ahead of USA on this though, I hear they are going to use CCTV with software to monitor license plates soon.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:21 pm 
Donator

This actually increases harassing and it is a violation of amendment 4 and 1.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Does this mean that members of any forum would have to do this if they lived in Kentucky, or does this only mean that the Administrators who live in Kentucky have to require this, and that it doesn't apply to Kentucky's users who join forums (Such as here) that arn't run in Kentucky?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
Hmm.. I guess /b/tards down there can't get their daily fix... POWNED!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:32 am 
Permanently Banned

I'm going to encourage Kentucky users to post comments anonymously on my blog then. If this becomes law, I would really like them to try and enforce this on me, then I tell them to screw off or smack them with a harassment case. It's that simple, they can't goto the server/datapipe provider as they would say screw off aswell.

Really, this is what the internet is about. They can just shove it up their [CS].

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:54 am 
Donator

won't this make dodgy 40year old men looking for young girls a lot easier? surely that should be enough not to make it law

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:41 am 
Administrator

Hehe, another politician opening the yap without any knowledge of the real world... it's so hilarious every time. And as usual it's only to either fish for votes, or follow some new idiotic "terrorist prevention" directive from the Men in Black...

It's like this dumb woman here in Sweden wanting EVERYONE to pay TV taxes because we can access some channels on the Internet... hehehe, she thinks only Sweden uses Internet... so she got the bright idea to let everyone pay taxes if you got a device that can connect to the net. So beware all my non-Swedish friends, soon you'll get to pay our taxes too :)

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]