BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 31d, 6h, 14m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 2801MB of 4645MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Microsoft wants more 'open source'        Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:28 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
This morning i saw this in this in the newspaper:
Direct link (for who can read dutch):
http://hirespdf.spitsnet.nl/2008-02-22/SPI20080222.pdf
WARNING:
File size 12.25MB.

A short translation:
Microsoft is making the blueprints of Windows Vista and Office 2007 and more important software public availble from their website.
And the company promises that developers of open source when they use it microsoft doesnt pull a law suit against them.

They want this to because then other manufactuers of software can make programs fully and good compatible with windows and office

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:25 pm 
Donator

Saw this on engadget. I dont believe MS will ever let others use the source without lawsuits lmao.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:08 pm 
Donator

Open Source? What I see is that they have opened up their protocols for interop with others, provided a ton of documentation for this, given "free" access to their patents for non-commercial use and promised to not sue people. Where does open source enter the picture?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:44 pm 
FTP Access

IT'S A TRAP!!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:55 pm 
Donator

I think credit where credit's due, MS has done a good thing here. It's really quite sad to see people shooting this down simply because of hyperbole or other knee-jerk reactions. What's been done is a company giving people what they've been asking for the past 10 years. Isn't that a good thing?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
yeah, microsoft are saints 8-) , they have only done this because they are becoming irrelevant in the operating system market.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:20 am 
Donator

betaluva wrote:
yeah, microsoft are saints

Theism is irrelevant. ;)

Jokes aside though, I'd hardly call them saints but this is a good thing. Here we have MS giving everyone access to over 30K pages of documentation covering their protocols and file-formats and saying "You can play around with it, use it and implement it but if you make a commercial product from it please pay us a licensing fee. They're not forcing anyone to do anything.

betaluva wrote:
They have only done this because they are becoming irrelevant in the operating system market.

A very broad statement and I'd love to see the proof you have to back this up. MS still has an overwhelmingly large marketshare as far as PCs go. Server market-share (according to netcraft) is rising, seemingly at the expense of Apache. The consumer-market could do with improvements as far as media players goes but you'd be hard pressed to make the assumption that MS is becoming irrelevant or failing because of it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
i want to change os market to application market, name one application that microsoft makes that you cant live without? i cant think of any.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
Almost anything you can run under Windows, you can now run under WINE anyways.... And I guess, because things like OpenOffice is beoming more and more powerful and has started to close the gap to MSOffice's functionality and useability, MicroSoft has to do something to try to capture some users/developers back.

Say.. if you can write a certain application with no problems for OO under Linux due to the documentation and/or sourcecode available..... Why should you be hampered if you tried the same for Windows?

Everyone here knows I dislike MicroSoft quite alot... but even I can see that this is a step onto the right path.. now, all they need is to opensource Windows and Office and then it won't be long before Windows is actually useable ^^

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]