BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 23h, 38m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 2875MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Netflix and BestBuy now back Blu-Ray        Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:16 am 
Donator

Netflix has gone exclusively Blu-Ray and Best-Buy will soon recommend customers purchase thier films on Blu-Ray instead of HD-DVD.

Best-Buy have stated that because Blu-Ray appears to be the single next-gen DVD format it will focus on Blu-Ray products, believing that their customers will benefit from a single format DVD.

Netflix sent this email to thier customers
Quote:
You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

You can click here to change your format preferences.

We're sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team
info@netflix.com

Source: Neowin

Personal Opinion follows
Sony's Blu-Ray is definately coming out ontop, even in New Zealand, where little technological T.V. advertisements are shown (apart from the odd computer game) Sony's Blu-Ray "This is Living" advertisements have began to put the name in the public's knowledge for quite some time now, I expect this is international?

It's sad that Blu-Ray won, then again the format which is friendliest to the suppliers rather than the public usually wins. I personally hope HD-DVD doesn't hold on for much longer. The faster something becomes standard the faster the hacking community will take to it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:33 am 
Donator

Why is it sad that Blu-Ray won? It holds like 53gb compared to HD-DVD's measly 9GB.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:17 pm 
Donator

It's 15gb for single-layered HD-DVD and 30gb for dual-layer disks, but there's also less anti-piracy measures on HD-DVD than on Blu-Ray movies. A 30gb copy of Finding Nemo would look the same as a 60gb copy on my 1024x768 screen; however with Blu-Ray, I believe it will take longer to put movies onto a computer than HD-DVD; I could be wrong on that one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:58 pm 
Administrator

In any case good riddens. We don't need another two separate formats to compete and drive up prices on recorders, players etc. I don't like the region lock and extra DRM stuff in bluray, but at least I have to worry about one format.

On the other hand, Sony.... I just hope they don't do another "oops, I put some bad rootkit on the discs again" stunt... or someone with a lot of cash better lock and load and blow them out of the water.... there is only so much a consumer can put up with...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:54 am 
Donator

either way i have both :D. however i rather use my internal bluray drive than my external hddvd. i didn't know that bluray had region codes like DVD, so i wikipedia'ed it and saw
Quote:
This arrangement places the countries of the major Blu-ray manufacturers (Japan, Korea, Malaysia) in the same region as the U.S., thus ensuring early releases of U.S. content to those markets. As of early 2008, about two-thirds of all released discs were region-free.

so us non-americans get stuff later as usual 8-) .

I haven't seen any bluray or hddvd commericals here yet and have only seen a few stores that have them for sale. while the only hddvd drive that i have seen for sale is the xbox one (the one i have) while i have seen the odd bluray player at Harvey Norman for a stupid amount of cash ($1000's).

and about the copy protection, both have been cracked for months ;)

One thing I really hate about all this copyprotection crap, is that even though you have a sweet PC, unless you have HDCP compliant hardware you get to watch a lower quality version. I don't really see the point in this.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]