BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 5h, 49m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 2248MB of 3685MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Vista: 10 Re-Activations per liscence        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:01 am 
Donator

Vista: 10 Re-Activations per liscence

"A Microsoft spokesman... told us that Windows Vista will not require a system re-activation unless the hard drive and one other component is changed. This means that enthusiasts will be able to swap CPUs, memory and graphics cards out without any worry about having to re-activate with MS, either on the internet or by phone.

Should you change the hard drive and another piece of hardware - for example for a major upgrade such as a motherboard change that requires a re-installation - Microsoft will allow you to re-activate up to 10 times. You will not, however, be able to have more than one machine activated concurrently."

This could pose some serious problems for enthusiasts that are constantly switching rigs or components around. Although Microsoft reserves the right to allow more than 10 activations per copy, the bit-tech folks believe keeping a base 'activated' image of Vista might save some headaches down the road.

Update: Yes, the article is rather vague but does raise some interesting issues. Most importantly, what does Microsoft consider a re-activation to be? According to the article you wont have to 're-activate' a copy of Vista unless you change the hard drive and an additional component. If I simply reformat my existing Vista PC and run the activation wizard, will I have used up one of my ten activations?

Source: Bit-Tech News

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:56 am 
Donator

Hmm.. this seems like it could cause crap for the people who like to have a clean install every 6 months or so... unless of cource it doesn't count that as a re-activation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:02 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I would assume it is the standart WPA with the addition of a activation syncer (most likley thorugh the web)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:23 am 
FTP Access

good.

the 3 or whatever it was for XP was stupid.

it was a pain having to call whenever reformatting...or breaking Windows.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:26 am 
FTP Access

They should consider a system like they have in Adobe products, where if you plan to reinstall/transfer the licence to another machine/change your hardware you can choose an option to deactivate it, where it tells the activation system that you've got rid of it - that way, the only time you'd need to call would be if you had some kind of catastrophe and had to reinstall without planning to beforehand.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:31 am 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
They should consider a system like they have in Adobe products, where if you plan to reinstall/transfer the licence to another machine/change your hardware you can choose an option to deactivate it, where it tells the activation system that you've got rid of it - that way, the only time you'd need to call would be if you had some kind of catastrophe and had to reinstall without planning to beforehand.

that would be fantastic...then you wouldn't have to go out and drop $200 on a brand spankin' new copy of Windows XP everytime someone crazy happens.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:33 am 
FTP Access

skeets wrote:
that would be fantastic...then you wouldn't have to go out and drop $200 on a brand spankin' new copy of Windows XP everytime someone crazy happens.

Won't they always reactivate it for you if you explain what happened? Surely they would never say no, you've got to buy another XP?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:35 am 
FTP Access

i was saying it in regards to transferring it to another machine. i've always heard that if you want to install Windows on a new machine that you need a new copy since when you activate, it tells the specs of the machine it's installed on.

anyone feel free to correct me, i'm probably horribly wrong.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:42 am 
FTP Access

You can transfer it to another machine - that's what the controversy over the Vista licence was about as originally they were going to allow only 1 transfer and then you had to buy a new copy of Vista, but they had to drop that after the uproar that followed. You just need to reactivate on the new machine (by phone if you've used up all your automatic activations).

That is the case (as far as I'm aware - I find my VLK copy so much easier ;)) for retail versions anyway - OEM versions are tied to one machine and can't be transferred to another (although I suppose technically there's nothing to stop you, as long as it's not one of those recovery CDs that only works on the PC it came with - you could in theory ring up and tell them you were reinstalling on the same machine that it came with, and ask for an activation code.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:03 am 
Donator

you could get around that by buying all the new parts of a pc and then 'upgrade' the one with the license on it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:21 am 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
You can transfer it to another machine - that's what the controversy over the Vista licence was about as originally they were going to allow only 1 transfer and then you had to buy a new copy of Vista, but they had to drop that after the uproar that followed. You just need to reactivate on the new machine (by phone if you've used up all your automatic activations).

That is the case (as far as I'm aware - I find my VLK copy so much easier ;)) for retail versions anyway - OEM versions are tied to one machine and can't be transferred to another (although I suppose technically there's nothing to stop you, as long as it's not one of those recovery CDs that only works on the PC it came with - you could in theory ring up and tell them you were reinstalling on the same machine that it came with, and ask for an activation code.

huh...i wish i had known that (or looked for that information) before i bought a new copy to install on my iMac...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:22 am 
Donator

oh well, just return it saying you don't agree to the license agreement

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:25 am 
FTP Access

___ wrote:
you could get around that by buying all the new parts of a pc and then 'upgrade' the one with the license on it.

I think their definition of a PC is the motherboard, so you can upgrade everything except that and keep the OEM copy on there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:29 am 
Donator

does it actually say that?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:31 am 
FTP Access

Not sure, but it's what I've heard in several places and it makes sense, as they would have to define a part of the PC that is that machine, because otherwise it's unclear when it goes from being the original PC upgraded, to being a different PC (ie you could gradually replace every part and it wouldn't be clear).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:32 am 
Donator

keep the same case ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:54 am 
FTP Access

this is a bit long, but i bolded and italicized the part i think helps out a little bit...in regards to XP

---

Product Activation

Windows Product Activation is an anti-software piracy measure that Microsoft has instituted to prevent casual copying of the Windows XP operating system. In simple terms, once you have installed XP using your original License key, you have a 30-day grace period in which to activate this license, after which XP will not be usable until it is activated. You may initially activate your copy of Windows through the Internet or over the phone.

Your License will remain activated until one of the following happens:

You re-install Windows XP on the same computer, erasing the hard-drive - In this case you will have to call Microsoft to re-activate the license, but as long as the configuration of your PC has not changed, you are allowed unlimited re-activations.

You install the same copy of XP on a different computer - The new installation will not be activated, and will have the 30-day grace period. At this point, you will have to telephone Microsoft, since Internet product activation will no longer work after the first activation. Installing XP on a new computer appears to be a violation of the Windows XP End-User License Agreement, however.

You change the hardware configuration of your PC beyond a certain amount - When you activate your XP license, you provide an installation ID, which is generated from a combination of the Product ID key from your license, and a numeric hash derived from certain system components.

The video card, IDE controller, network adaptor(s), RAM amount, processor type (and serial number), Hard-drive type (and serial number), and optical drive(s). It is unclear what the tolerated amount of change is, although it is cumulative. Once you have exceeded this amount, XP will require reactivation by phone. Unlike transferring XP to a new computer though, upgrading the original computer is not a violation of the EULA, and users are supposedly allowed up to 4 reactivations by phone per year.

When activating XP by phone, the operating system will provide you with a 50-digit installation ID, as detailed above, which needs to be provided to the Microsoft rep in exchange for an activation number which is entered into the OS.

That's about everything you need to know about installing Microsoft Windows XP. Explore it yourself. As you can see it is quite different in presentation from previous Windows versions.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]