BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 0h, 2m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 2164MB of 3559MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Office Genuine Advantage now required        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:54 am 
Donator

Office Antipiracy checks now required

If you don't like the mandatory anti-piracy checks that Microsoft now enforces for Windows, brace yourself. The Microsoft Office productivity and collaboration suite is about to get a similar program.

The company's Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program will require mandatory validation of Office software starting October 27, the software vendor quietly disclosed today. After that date, any Office Online templates downloaded from within the Office 2007 Microsoft Office System applications will require validation of legitimacy.

Similarly, starting in January, users of Office Update will have to validate the legitimacy of their Office software before they can use the service, Microsoft added.

Users absolutely hated the first iteration of the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program, and their protests pressured the company into revising it about a year after it launched in July 2005.

Microsoft said in a press statement that the validation process will be "quick and simple" for users. The OGA program, currently in the testing phase, is now available in 26 languages worldwide. OGA is a sibling program to WGA; both automatically check a user's version of Microsoft software to ensure it is not counterfeit or pirated.

Source: PC World

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:01 am 
Donator

i like this idea, although i can see a lot of complaints coming (mainly from people who pirate it)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:41 am 
FTP Access

They're just making things harder and harder for us skint people now, aren't they?! First serials with Win95, Activation with XP, then WGA for XP recently, all that embedded WGA nonsense in Vista, now Office as well?

What versions of Office does this cover, by the way?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:53 am 
Donator

Yes, this could get annoying, especially since microsoft likes to say genuine software is non-genuine on occasion...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:08 am 
FTP Access

thats why i like open office :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:52 pm 
Donator

i'd take office xp/03/07 over open office anyday

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:27 pm 
FTP Access

___ wrote:

Same here...don't knows what I'd do if they made it actually impossible to pirate it though - I suppose I'd just have to use the newest version that didn't have the new uncrackable anti-piracy system and no longer use the latest version

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:43 pm 
Donator

___ wrote:

I second that. IMO, open office is not that great

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:25 am 
FTP Access

Jeff wrote:
___ wrote:

I second that. IMO, open office is not that great

Third that. Open office loads forever on my computer. (Plus, it's hard to navigate around.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:36 am 
FTP Access

i have no problems with it, does what i want.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:39 am 
Donator

Quote:
i have no problems with it, does what i want.

Agreed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:46 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
___ wrote:

Same here...don't knows what I'd do if they made it actually impossible to pirate it though - I suppose I'd just have to use the newest version that didn't have the new uncrackable anti-piracy system and no longer use the latest version

or buy it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:31 pm 
FTP Access

___ wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
___ wrote:

or buy it

I'm skint though - no-way can I afford £400 or whatever Office costs!

I actually got given a legit version of Office 97 the other day, which is the first legit Office I've ever owned!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:44 am 
Donator

Sometimes you can make a pretty good buy on eBay or other opportunities, I once picked up a legit copy of Office 2000 Premium for ~$25 (although Office XP was already released by that time, but Office 2000 is still perfect for my needs). And if you're a student, you can get Office 2003 SSL really cheaply, too. A friend of mine bought it for ~$100.

But I honestly don't use MS Office often now, I prefer OpenOffice as it does anything I want and need, it's free and it's been stable for me. Sometimes, I can't run MS Office natively because I use Linux or other Unices and running it under WINE still has some glitches. I do occasionally use Office X for Mac, though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:38 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
And if you're a student, you can get Office 2003 SSL really cheaply, too. A friend of mine bought it for ~$100.

Isn't that version very basic though? For instance, you don't get FrontPage do you? I have the version of Office 2003 that comes with all 11 Office programs.

As for eBay, I don't know how you got a legit Office 2000 for that cheap when it was still pretty new - I just had a look and there's a copy of Office 2000 Standard at £30 with one hour to go (and it's not even boxed with manuals or anything, it's just the CD case, disc and key)! It looks like my free Office 97 Professional would even fetch something, even though it's pretty ancient!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:43 am 
Donator

Yes, Office 2003 SSL is very basic. There's Outlook, Word and Excel.

I diidn't get my copy of Office 2000 on eBay, I got it on some 2nd hand computer and software market. It consisted of the original genuine CDs and the certificate of authenticity with the key. No box, no manuals. But as I said, ~$25. A really strange thing: The CDs are apparantly genuine and say it's an Upgrade version. But I've never been asked to insert a CD of an older Office version when installing it...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:57 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
Lucky me i use OpenOffice :D

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:14 am 
Donator

Me too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:53 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Yes, Office 2003 SSL is very basic. There's Outlook, Word and Excel.

I diidn't get my copy of Office 2000 on eBay, I got it on some 2nd hand computer and software market. It consisted of the original genuine CDs and the certificate of authenticity with the key. No box, no manuals. But as I said, ~$25. A really strange thing: The CDs are apparantly genuine and say it's an Upgrade version. But I've never been asked to insert a CD of an older Office version when installing it...

I think PowerPoint's a pretty crucial one to have, and I use FronotPage, so that version sucks. What makes you so sure the Office 2000 you have is genuine? - if it's an upgrade and there's no Office versions on your computer, it should ask you for a CD or key or something for the older version. Are there any holograms on your CDs? My Office 97 doesn't, but I think by 2000 they had brought in holograms to make it harder to fake, for example this one. I wouldn't personally buy software from a market, as usually their stuff is fake.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:04 am 
Donator

I just checked my Office 2000 CDs, they both have the holograms on the inner ring of the CD that change from "Microsoft" to "GENUINE" and from "Office" to "2000".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:10 am 
Donator

I have a 97 pro disc that I got for free, too!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:22 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
I just checked my Office 2000 CDs, they both have the holograms on the inner ring of the CD that change from "Microsoft" to "GENUINE" and from "Office" to "2000".

OK then, that sounds similar to the arrangement on the Windows 98 CD. Still seems a bit strange that it says upgrade and it's not an upgrade though...a pretty good way to check, actually, might be to see if your product key is one of the ones that's on the web, as if it's a fake copy it most likely will be. If it's genuine, no-one else will have that key - try putting the first five characters into Google and see if any of the results are your key. I'm not accusing you of using Warez or anything, I just think it seems a bit odd that it's not an upgrade version despite saying so, and that they sold it so cheap when they could have got a lot more for it if they'd wanted to (assuming it's genuine).

Jeff wrote:
I have a 97 pro disc that I got for free, too!

Cool :) I got a little collection recently (all just the CD case with the CD, key on the back and the cover sheets inside the CD case - no cardboard boxes): Office 97 Pro, MS Plus 98, and Windows 98 (OEM, with manual) :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:41 am 
Donator

Quote:
OK then, that sounds similar to the arrangement on the Windows 98 CD. Still seems a bit strange that it says upgrade and it's not an upgrade though...a pretty good way to check, actually, might be to see if your product key is one of the ones that's on the web, as if it's a fake copy it most likely will be.

You were right. The CDs are obviously genuine, but the key is not... That would explain why it doesn't behave as if it were an upgrade version. The key seems to disable the upgrade part and make it install as a full version. . :(

Quote:
If it's genuine, no-one else will have that key - try putting the first five characters into Google and see if any of the results are your key. I'm not accusing you of using Warez or anything, I just think it seems a bit odd that it's not an upgrade version despite saying so, and that they sold it so cheap when they could have got a lot more for it if they'd wanted to (assuming it's genuine).

I checked it. The key is on the web. .. Damn!

Quote:
Cool Smile I got a little collection recently (all just the CD case with the CD, key on the back and the cover sheets inside the CD case - no cardboard boxes): Office 97 Pro, MS Plus 98, and Windows 98 (OEM, with manual) Very Happy

:D I got an MSDN DVD saying "Windows 95 and Windows 98 versions". It contains, IIRC:
- Windows 95, 95 B, 95 Upgrade
- Windows 98, 98 Upgrade, 98 SE
- MS Plus! 95
- MS Plus! 98

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:52 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
The CDs are obviously genuine, but the key is not... That would explain why it doesn't behave as if it were an upgrade version. The key seems to disable the upgrade part and make it install as a full version. . :(

:( Is the key printed on a COA then? If it is, they must have faked it quite well, as it wouldn't be easy to make it look genuine. The key may well determine what version it is - I think for Office XP/2003, the key determines whether or not activation is required. For Windows though, I think there's certain files that make it an upgrade or a full version, not only the key used.

empireum wrote:
:D I got an MSDN DVD saying "Windows 95 and Windows 98 versions". It contains, IIRC:
- Windows 95, 95 B, 95 Upgrade
- Windows 98, 98 Upgrade, 98 SE
- MS Plus! 95
- MS Plus! 98

Wow, where did you get that from? That's a nice thing to have!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:07 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
AbiWord + Gnumeric / Office 2000 SBE / Works 2000 Dell OEM ftw

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next