BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 12h, 5m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 5562MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Macbook Air Released        Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:01 pm 
Donator

Today, at Macworld San Francisco 2008, Apple's new semi-portable notebook was released.

It is incredibly small and has the option to use a $1000 64GB SSD.

http://www.apple.com

What do you think about this new laptop?

Last edited by Jeff on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:30 pm 
Donator

this is one cool laptop

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:29 pm 
Donator

Very thin: good
Solid State Drive: good
Portability: good
Wireless: good
Non-replaceable battery: wtf?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:00 am 
FTP Access

Personally, I do not approve of this year's MacWorld. I mean, yes, their main focus was on the new MacBook Air, but there are STILL no major updates to the MacBook Pro, as clearly, it's no longer a cool machine to have. I mean, the MacBook is cool enough as it is (minus backlit keyboard and crappy graphics card). The Air has no "in/outside" customization capabilities (batteries, memory, etc.), and although it looks great, I cannot say it runs great. Plus, I cannot trust wireless, as well as having to fork out A TON of money for the machine, as I do not own wireless computers (minus my sisters). So that would be $1700 for the machine, $100 for an optical drive, and $100 for software not included on the system I need (iWork, Microsoft Office, etc.). So roughly, I'm paying the same price for a MacBook Pro, so I might as well risk 1 inch of room and buy that instead! Until pricing goes down or they offer a little more for it, it may just be an Apple Commerical Flop, which is very disappointing.

But this year, was lame. All iTunes related updates AGAIN. I mean, I know they are ahead of the industry, but they seem to forget about their other products. I mean, what about the Mac Mini? That's a cheap machine as well never updated. So my only LOGICAL buys as a future college student (SOON) is either the iMac or a MacBook. I'm obviously getting the iMac as I already own a PowerBook G3, but regardless, $1k is the rough-estimate of how much I'll spend on a quality computer.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:32 am 
Donator

I agree that the price for macbooks are too HIGH
a macbook should caost $900 US and that's it!
but no, it has to be $1149

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:54 am 
FTP Access

Lack native ethernet connectivity.
Only one USB port.
Useless for me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:09 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
XDude wrote:
I agree that the price for macbooks are too HIGH
a macbook should caost $900 US and that's it!
but no, it has to be $1149

$900 is about £450... My base model Macbook cost £700 ($1400) so I think in all fairness its not that bad.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:42 am 
Donator

About the battery; i really don't think that it would be that big of a deal unless you bring along an extra, because it's non removable to keep the size down. The extra battery costs $129 (i think), the same as the Macbook Pro.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:32 am 
FTP Access

Westbalkanian Computing Industry Wastelands
What's the purpose of such thinness? People don't want to slice bread with notebooks. And there's no ODD, only one USB port, no ethernet, no expansion card slot (EC or Cardbus), no memory card reader. For a PDA-size umpc, it wouldn't be a shame, but for a 13" screen notebook it's unadmittable.
One word describes the whole device: USELESS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:02 pm 
Donator

First, that's what I like about it:

– Thinness
– Design
– Weight
– Ability to use an SSD

And now what I dislike about it:

– Too big
– Non-upgradable memory
– Unreplacable battery (as in user-replacable)
– External ODD not provided by default
– One USB 2.0 port, no ethernet connectivity, no FireWire (still can't believe it)

So to sum it up, I'm quite disappointed. Sure the device is amazingly thin and having possessed a 0.8"-thick Sharp Muramasa some time ago, this does have some advantages IMO, but I think they (1) went too far in "minimalising" it and (2) compared with the rather large screen for a device with these dimensions it looks a bit awkward. It's a nice idea that Apple has brought out, but it's been poorly implemented and implies too many limitations.

I'm the owner of a true ultraportable notebook now. My machine weighs in at 1.0kg and has an 11.1" screen. Given these facts, I can live with the limitations of the system (1.8" HDD, will upgrade to an SSD later; no optical drive – but at least they provided an external DVD burner in the box), and it has 4 USB 2.0 ports as well as FireWire, not to mention Ethernet and modem ports and an ExpressCard/54 slot. And it runs great with Mac OS X. Of course that ultraportable was not cheap, but I don't regret the purchase – but I'd if I'd bought a MacBook Air which sounds like a crippled MacBook to me; and for that, it is a tad bit too expensive.

The MacBook Air is thin and light, thus surely portable. But it's far away from being small or an ultraportable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Apple is too focused on the pure aesthetic of thinness. In fact, they are so focused that they have forgotten functionality.

If the base model was being sold at a price that is a few hundred dollars lower, then detriments such as the lack of an optical drive, lack of flash card readers, lack of a removable battery, and only one USB port can be forgiven.

But at $1800? No thank you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:55 pm 
Donator

XX55XX wrote:
Apple is too focused on the pure aesthetic of thinness. In fact, they are so focused that they have forgotten functionality.

Additionally, the thinness is not even a complete excuse for the lack of functionality. I had a Sharp Muramasa PC-UM10 2 years ago, its "depth" was ~0.7 inch at its thinnest point and ~0.8 inch at its thickest, yet it had 2 USB ports, a modem, ethernet and a PC card slot, a resonable battery life and it was smaller than the MacBook Air albeit having a 2.5" HDD instead of an 1.8" one. Surely, the MBA is like a hundred times more powerful, but the Muramasa is an example it can be done.

I have to say the MBA's CPU is quite interesting though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:39 am 
FTP Access

Jeff wrote:
About the battery; i really don't think that it would be that big of a deal unless you bring along an extra, because it's non removable to keep the size down. The extra battery costs $129 (i think), the same as the Macbook Pro.

Correct - $129 for the MacBook Air Out-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program.

But as time progresses, third-party vendors will sell their own batteries - and it's apparently easy for replacement.

AppleInsider wrote:
According to people familiar with the new-generation notebook, there are no special tools or knowledge required to swap out the MacBook Air's battery, which Apple has billed its "thinnest ever" in a product. Instead, the process requires a single size-0 type philips screwdriver and some diligence.

Once flipped upside down, the MacBook Air's bottom cover is easily unscrewed and removed, providing immediate access to the battery cavity. From there, the battery can be unscrewed from the chassis with the same screwdriver and unplugged from the circuit board with a simple tug -- it's not soldered to the board.

The entire process, according to those in the known, can be completed by any service technician in as little as three minutes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:25 am 
Donator

Even though what Steve Jobs said about having wireless replace the CDs, I still need CDs for stuff like when I'm away from home and need to install software, there aren't going to be wireless computers everywhere waiting for me to insert a disc and use it over wireless so I'm going to wait for CDs to fade out like floppy disks did. 8)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:00 pm 
Truly impressive, although I prefer Windows, myself.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:01 pm 
Donator

Midecah wrote:
Truly impressive, although I prefer Windows, myself.

You can run it on the machine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:02 pm 
I find this laptop a bit too fragile! It is not to put on the hands of a child ...
Mac Os but is renowned for its reliability! Less than with Windows bug

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:24 am 
It would be so easy to break...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP / Windows 7
You have experience (with breaking the Macbook Air) :P ?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:35 am 
Donator

Personally, I tested out the laptop at my local Apple store, and I thought the base seemed really sturdy, however the screen felt a bit flimsy, but that is to be expected with the thinness.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]