BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 16h, 54m | CPU: 36% | MEM: 1979MB of 3215MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:12 pm 
Donator

I have uploaded the XBOXKRNL source code (for the original xbox) to the ftp. All thanks go to The Distractor and dans34 for finding links to this releak on this forum, I just uploaded it.

However, sadly some parts (nothing too major from what I know, merely commented out #ifdef's and such) of it have been modified in the leak by the leaker, but I hope it'll get accepted regardless as there is no better copy available.

MEGA download link: https://mega.co.nz/#!wtRmDbiK!o9GlI-t7x ... gQY8l4Ja_Q
Original .nfo:
Code:
          ',,,.  .,                                                             
      .'▌▌,'',▌C=!'                                       '%!                   
     ,(!      !3#*                                        A5                   
    ▌(.      (A'C%                                       7W,                   
   ▌=       *D, C#                                      ,M=                     
  ,3    .  'D(  #7                                     .#$                     
  3*    ▌  $A  7$.                                     JD'                     
  #     ▌ (M*▌3(     ,**.*,  '! *!  *,'*!     *** !'  ▌M! ▌.    ,** !,  '*!'   
  #     ('D7.,▌#*  .77,*3D* .AJ*D! ,@=▌'$▌  .C='▌3@' 'DJ  D(  .77,!3D* .A,!5   
  A,   ,!%5    %%  $C  *r7  C@▌'D .5A! ,W* .A=  (c(  %#.  @C .$7  !r7  !W ,3  ,
  ,J,',▌(W,    %A 3$   $%. *W7. =▌%D! '#J  %J   53  (M,  *M!!A$   %%  '*W( . ,'
   '*,,'D7▌    @7*M,  ▌D' .@$.   *M(  AA. ▌W.  =@. ,WC   #7 *M'  ▌D' 33 3A  ,, 
 (C   'A(@=   (A 3#  *W( '#A    .@C  7@. *#%  !M* ,JD  .$C  35  *M▌ ▌%= =#.*,   
 $$..'3▌ %7..!C' J#.▌*D.*7M,    C#.  $=.!,%A.▌!#.**▌A.'J=   3#.▌*D.*!7..$=!'   
 .(!▌▌.   (!!,   .C(. (!'*!     (,   '▌!. 'C(  =!'  ▌!▌.    'C(. (!' ,!▌▌'     

.▌▌!▌*             ,(.  ▌!                                           
        '(7'...%.           .#%  (M*                                           
       !3!     5'           CW' 'WJ                                             
      C3. *   *#           !M!  A5  ,'                                         
    .J3.  (..!$,          .@J  =W,  $7                                         
    C5.   .!!!            %#. ,M(   '.                                         
   ▌W'           .''     =W, .#3  ..   . .'     ''                             
   DJ    *7'    !=*3*   ,W(  J@.  %(  7J!!((   (▌▌3                             
  =c.     'A  .3J  3A  .#3  ▌W,  3#. !W7, 33  'M .W  .                         
  %#       #  3%.  5%*'3@. 'D7  ▌W* .@$' ▌W,  !M!.*  *                         
  #%      !% (W.  *W'.(M*  A%  *W(  $#' *W( *7.$A  .!                           
  %A     .A* #3  .5(  #C .JD' ,@$ .CW* .@J .#A ▌W .!.                           
  !W'   '3(  D( .3=  *D.'▌57 *(W.'(c(  (# .▌C. =%,*.                           
   ▌J,'▌7,   (C!=,   '$!!.C(▌'.$**73   ,J*!.▌!!J▌'                             
    .,,'      ..      ..   '   ..       ..   .'                                 

Place in XBOX folder in root directory (e.g. C:\XBOX)
CD C:\XBOX\Private\ntos
setenv C:
make

Poof!

May require other tools such as VC++ and the Windows DDK.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Last edited by Wheatley on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
actually, dans34 linked to the exact page. Amazingly, nobody else seemed to notice.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:22 pm 
Donator

The Distractor wrote:
actually, dans34 linked to the exact page. Amazingly, nobody else seemed to notice.

Edited post accordingly, and added mega link to first post.

EDIT: According to the makefile, having Server 2003 ddk and Visual Studio 2002 installed SHOULD be enough to compile the kernel.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
And yeah, this package just contains source code for xboxkrnl (which contains the hal and drivers), bootloader, xbdm and recovery.xbe. Nothing else; which means no xdash or sdk tools.

Also, an ntverp.h included within hints that xboxkrnl forked from 5.00.2183. (that's win2k RC3, iirc, which is on BA FTP)

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:46 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
I'm literally crying with excitement. I've been looking for this for literal years! Thanks for finding it and reposting it!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:37 am 
Donator

Wheatley wrote:
EDIT: According to the makefile, having Server 2003 ddk and Visual Studio 2002 installed SHOULD be enough to compile the kernel.

Yep. Shame I have no way of testing the compiled files.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Try it on xqemu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
xqemu could be forked with the ...ahem... knowledge contained in these files, to create a true xbox emulator. So it all turns out to be quite a bit of Win2k and custom tailored code, targeting just the xbox's hardware. I'm still going through it all, but I think someone will be able to bake some smores and turn this into something. I have a feeling that the Xeon 'emulator' that only supported Halo does some sort of on-the-fly hardware translation. I haven't spent much time looking into that app's internals, and not being a programmer doesn't help (let alone trying to use IDA to disassemble it while it runs).

xqemu on its own will likely not boot the compiled kernel without having modifications made to it to support intricate bits that the code we now have. It's no longer a complete mystery as to how the kernel was built, and how everything in the xbox gets initialized and driven. It's amazing that no one has spent time on a gray-hat emulator...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Well, it seems that the modifications made to the src by the leakers include everything from commenting out security related stuff, adding support for a couple of custom dashboards, commenting out a bad assumption that could brick devkits, and adding new parts to one of the XBE substructures related to security that got added in 5xxx, and code related to those.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
The code here is a complete departure from NT5 - sure, it's got a lot in common, but it is heavily stripped down, with several bits of the standard NT kernel swapped out instead for title-provided libraries. If anything, this is the reason why they tried to secure the system as much (or little) as they did. It was a great exercise in hardware and software design of a secure lightweight NT-based system. It would seem that the main reason for this major structural change was to help provide software updates or enhancements to the system without the need to flash a new firmware on the system (kernel/driver versions, etc). As such, newer titles produced using newer XDK's could actually provide enhancements to the underlying OS, including security and bugfixes.

The Xbox OS is really just a very tightly knit ecosystem that's certainly based on Win32 api's, but setup in such a way that each application has to first be verified as legit microsoft-issued code before it is allowed to assume control of the system. Personally, I think the Xbox OS was not just a slim NT for the console, but a means for testing secure boot tech in the wild, and a means for testing in-the-field system kernel/library updates without the need for fully replacing the kernel in ROM. After all, look at how much more security was added to the Xbox 360 (and, well, the Xbox One) - yet another set of wild security features that really don't seem to belong in a gaming console - more likely intended for Server appliances.

edit: What I mean here is that the applications were intended to provide specific functionality of the kernel that was left out on purpose - the applications are to bring the kernel it's various dependencies and bugfixes, in the form of Xbox Title Libraries (XTL) - this in part makes newer games rely on newer versions of the code, which in turn is applied to the running kernel, patching it as-needed for each application. Quite an interesting mechanism they employed here - whether or not this was for NT5+ or not, it is certainly an interesting idea for keeping an embedded system up-to-date, just provide a minor software update and the entire system is patched; Xbox Dashboards fit in to this paradigm perfectly. Xbox Live wasn't finished when the Xbox went RTM, but eventually a dashboard update was made available (and distributed on supported Xbox Live titles), which patched the xonline libraries for proper xlive support.

I'm going to go further in this direction while analyzing the code, as a means of understanding Microsoft's various attempts at redesigning security within NT and the PC architecture.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:48 am 

Favourite OS
win 7 sp1
Wheatley wrote:
Wheatley wrote:

Yep. Shame I have no way of testing the compiled files.

if you have xbox alpha tower try to it. i think jimmsta did it with xdk recovery on VM but stuck with some kernel hardware check. if we can mod the kernel with other driver. it will boot on any pc.my goal is to make arcade/ htpc base on this xbox alpha tower.if we can make it ,it wont be hard to develop another apps with powerfull aplha tower cpu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Just got the source code of the kernel. It appears that it also include sources for the FATX filesystem driver.

With the code, we could create a FATX filesystem driver for Windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:46 pm 

Favourite OS
win 7 sp1
i got this error when i want to build the kernel. how to fix this error? i've tried with newer link version, and no dice..

thank you

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:56 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows NT on ARM
Can you use VS 2003?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:02 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
Nice to see this finally get out, even if it is a stripped down version.

Before people start spamming the emu devs with links it looks like they've had it for a while, afaik it was one of them that linked it on that emuxtras.net site, and googling one of the modded-in strings that I've never heard of before (cpxdash.xbe) brings up only one result which is part of the Dxbx code, which leads me to think that they've had it for a long while.

Maybe if someones brave enough to leak the entire thing (which IIRC includes docs and code for the graphics chips) they could make more progress.

If you're interested in the original unmodded files they're uploaded here, just merge them in with the pack from MEGA and you'll have a (mostly, besides some compiler-generated binaries and files) untouched xboxkrnl source, although it might be worth keeping hold of the modded files too as they added a few fixes to them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:48 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows NT on ARM
Can anyone post a DL to .NET 2002 and DDK 3790 (not 3790.1830) ? I tried with .NET 2003 and 2003 SP1 ddk but can't compile, environments are sufficiently different.... :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:50 pm 

Favourite OS
win 7 sp1
daxgr wrote:
Can anyone post a DL to .NET 2002 and DDK 3790 (not 3790.1830) ? I tried with .NET 2003 and 2003 SP1 ddk but can't compile, environments are sufficiently different.... :(

for ddk 1830 you can grab it here. and the .net 2002 here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:34 pm 
Donator

You need to modify setenv.bat to use the vs2003 directory.
shawizz wrote:
if you have xbox alpha tower try to it.

Lol I've never ever touched an xbox controller in my life so me having one of those is impossible *hehe*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:42 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows NT on ARM
Yeah I did that and changed 3790 to 3790.1830 but still include errors.... :( Which DDK did you use? I used this one: http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... sa_ddk.iso

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:47 pm 
Donator

I used the rtm ddk downloaded from the BA FTP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:36 pm 

Favourite OS
win 7 sp1
Wheatley wrote:
I used the rtm ddk downloaded from the BA FTP.

have you try to make the xboxkrnl.exe with that rtm ddk? any error?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:37 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows NT on ARM
Oh... Any chance you could re-up it somewhere where I could get it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:40 pm 
Donator

Maybe later.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:28 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
seems to work fine for me in a win2k vm with vs 2002 and platform sdk 2003 (not sp1), setup specifically with the xbox xdk in the path, as well as the XBOX source code folder in the path. I was able to compile the kernel. Have yet to screw around with it any further. There's the complete source code for the nVidia drivers in there too, which includes low-level hardware asm for the gpu. It appears to actually use its own driver path, but is based on the nv20 chipset. As such, I think anyone with proper knowledge in asm should be able to figure some of it out. I'd like to try and find a way to just build the nvidia driver, for the hell of it, but I'm not sure that all of it is there.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [RELEAK] XBOXKRNL source code        Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
I just want to update on this - I've managed to get very far into the build process, but it eventually fails due to a missing component, something called "genxx". This leaves the compile with 1 error. ONE. I still have to see about whether this component can be safely disabled, and then test using the old phoenix bios loader on a v1.x xbox. From there, if it all still works, then we might be able to do some neat stuff with the xbox kernel.

First and foremost, is to get it compiling properly. Secondly, get it booting on the actual hardware. Third, see about getting xqemu to load it. Fourth, ???

Top  Profile  WWW