BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 49d, 21h, 1m | CPU: 31% | MEM: 5709MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Windows "Cougar" (SBS 2008) Beta 2 released today        Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:01 pm 
FTP Access

Beta 2 of Cougar has just been released and is now available on MS Connect, and I just got this email saying I'm in the beta! :D -

Quote:
Greetings from the Cougar Team
We are pleased to announce the release of Windows Server® Code Name "Cougar" Beta 2 and that you have been approved to participate! As compared to previous Beta releases, Windows Server® Code Name "Cougar" Beta 2 represents a substantially more complete product. Additional features and functionality are available across the product. We look forward to your continued participation in the Beta program. The product development team seeks confirmation that we have gotten it right. Your feedback can and will directly impact the design of this exciting new product!
Please check your status on the MS Connect site at: http://connect.microsoft.com under 'MY Participation'.
The Cougar Beta is a confidential program at this time. We are extending the Beta to additional external Partners and customers. We are the point in our release cycle, where we are broadening our exposure, yet trying to balance this against keeping the beta Confidential. Participants are required to agree to the terms of confidentiality in this beta in order to participate.
This Beta 2 release is designed for evaluation and feedback purposes only and is not designed to be run in a production environment. We will be providing support through Beta Newsgroups only.
We will be shipping media to all Beta participants, so please make sure that your shipping address information is up to date. You can update your contact information by going to http://connect.microsoft.com and clicking on the 'Manage Your Connect Profile' at the bottom left hand corner of the page.
Documentation, downloadable software and Beta 2 product keys are all available on the MS Connect site.
With Beta 2, the Premium edition of SBS is including a 2nd copy of Windows Server for your domain, with the option of running SQL Server. Therefore, you will see the following product files available for download:
• Beta2_DVD1.iso - Installation
• Beta2_DVD2.iso - Windows Server 2008® RC0 x64 for Windows Server® Code Name "Cougar"
• Beta3_DVD3.iso - Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 November CTP x86 and x64
• The minimum system requirements to run Cougar Beta 2 are :
o X64 Intel or AMD PC
o 2.66 gigahertz (GHz) processor
o 4 GB of physical memory
o DVD drive
o Single network adapter
o At least 60 gigabytes (GB) of free disk space
o A display adapter with 128 megabytes (MB) (for Windows Aero compatibility)
o An broadband externally visible Internet connection
o A router
o A domain name
o The domain name can be an existing one that you own or you can use the Get a Domain Name wizard technology within Beta 1 to purchase a new Internet domain name.
o A client computer running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Microsoft Windows Vista Business, Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate, or Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise.
o A copy of Microsoft Office 2007 or Microsoft Office 2003.

Note that this is only for x64 servers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:35 pm 
FTP Access

I got no Invitation-Mail, so i'm not in :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:33 pm 
Donator

joecool wrote:
I got no Invitation-Mail, so i'm not in :cry:

me either

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
I cant test his, i dont have a x64 pc.
:cry:

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:46 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I will provide screenshots soon.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:04 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
The screenshots are uploaded now. Checkout the Screenshots section and open the album "Codename Cougar".

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:28 am 
Donator

apparently i couldn't find anything about beta 2 on google.
Anyone mind to upload it on the server?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:14 am 
XDude wrote:

i still wonder, i get beta 1 and have the dvds somewhere, but i lost them, i never installed it, i was just to lazy, but i didnt get an email for beta 2 :(

if i find them again, ill upload them, but im not sure my mother hadnt trashed it :(

ok, im at school now, when im home again ill start search for it, perhaps i find some intresting other CDs, but i cant say that ill find it, e can just hope...

greetz

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:41 am 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
XDude wrote:

i still wonder, i get beta 1 and have the dvds somewhere, but i lost them, i never installed it, i was just to lazy, but i didnt get an email for beta 2 :(

if i find them again, ill upload them, but im not sure my mother hadnt trashed it :(

ok, im at school now, when im home again ill start search for it, perhaps i find some intresting other CDs, but i cant say that ill find it, e can just hope...

greetz

do you have access to it on connect?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:43 am 
Donator

D.Konieczny wrote:
The screenshots are uploaded now. Checkout the Screenshots section and open the album "Codename Cougar".

Thanks, if it's not too much of a hassle, could you show a screenshot including the branding bitmap? (Such as in About Windows.) I'm interested in seeing whether it is a new one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:56 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
All the files have the Version number 6001.16659 they are the same as the RC1 Files.
Codename Cougar Beta 2 is branded as "Windows Server 2008 Standard".

Inside of the Program Files Folder is a folder called "Windows Small Business Server" and the files in this folder have the version number 6.0.5334.0.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:24 am 
Donator

Thanks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:31 am 
XDude wrote:
Namronia wrote:
XDude wrote:

greetz

to beta 1,yes, beta 2 also no, i dont understand that and i cannot find the dvd now :(

Last edited by Namronia on Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
empireum wrote:
Thanks.

You're welcome! :wink:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:32 pm 
FTP Access

Came today :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:44 pm 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
XDude wrote:
Namronia wrote:
XDude wrote:

greetz

to beta 1,yes, beta 2 also no, i dont understand that and i cannot find the dvd now :(

Maybe there was a survey you had to fill out to continue testing.

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

Came today :D

Can you upload that to the server?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:27 pm 
FTP Access

I'm afraid even the first disc (the SBS one - the other two are stuff publically available from MS) is 3.64 GB, so it would not be very easy for anyone to upload it :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:51 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I'm afraid even the first disc (the SBS one - the other two are stuff publically available from MS) is 3.64 GB, so it would not be very easy for anyone to upload it :(

That would be a problem, maybe raring and uploading it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:09 pm 
FTP Access

Caught some Server 2008 Standard branding before it installs the SBS components, so that is clearly the version of Server 2008 on which this is based:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:52 pm 
Donator

It's Windows Server 2008 RC0 Standard Edition based.
btw, the essential server beta 2 also used this same build.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:23 pm 
FTP Access

Greaaaat... :cry:

Thrashed away for ages installing the SBS components, then stopped with this error about two-thirds of the way through, then the Please Wait that you get when changing display settings appeared, then the thing where it sets up IE settings, and finally the desktop loaded, apparently with an incomplete installation of SBS... :( As you can see, the help content that automatically appeared once this had happened isn't going to be of much assistance either..

Has anyone installed this successfully with 2 GB Ram and/or on VMware? (as it warns you at the start of the SBS setup that it may not succeed if you have less than 4 GB)

Another weird thing - a tray notification just said new updates are available from WU, but when I went to WU there were none :S

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:39 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I have installed Cougar on my Computer, not in VMWare or VPC, and I had the same Problems...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:44 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
:D :D :D My DVDs arrived today... :D :D :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:37 pm 
FTP Access

D.Konieczny wrote:
I have installed Cougar on my Computer, not in VMWare or VPC, and I had the same Problems...

How much Ram was in your test machine?

I see on the Newsgroup that successful installations have been reported with 2.5 and 3 GB of memory, so maybe the 2 GB isn't the problem :S Have you tried installing more than once and got this error every time? Who else here has tried installing this yet, and did it work or not?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:57 pm 
Donator

Is there any possible way for me to get this to try on my test machine (2GB ram)? I didn't get accepted into the program. :)

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next