BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 19h, 10m | CPU: 77% | MEM: 5853MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 8.1 with Bing (CoreConnected) may be free        Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Quote:
We’re told that Microsoft is aiming to position Windows 8.1 with Bing as a free or low-cost upgrade for Windows 7 users. Any upgrade offers will be focused on boosting the number of people using Windows 8.1. This Bing-powered version of Windows 8.1 may also be offered to PC makers as part of recent license cuts for devices under $250.

Source: The Verge

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 with Bing (CoreConnected) may be free        Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Serenity
It's not the same as classic desktop with start... Tiles is the thing that refuse me to make upgrade...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 with Bing (CoreConnected) may be free        Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Venetik wrote:
It's not the same as classic desktop with start... Tiles is the thing that refuse me to make upgrade...

There's always Classic Shell, etc...

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 with Bing (CoreConnected) may be free        Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:12 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1
There's a couple of really good "Classic Shell" addons out there but my personal favorite is Classic Shell (classicshell.net) which I've installed to my friends who doesn't like the tiles in Windows 8. Personally I really like the tiles especially in 8.1 when you don't get every installed Icon pinned to the startscreen.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 with Bing (CoreConnected) may be free        Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Serenity
Classic shell is 3rd party software, not tied with Windows core, so it is not the point to have bloatware on PC. Yes, I can port Windows 7 shell to 8, but I loose the themes - aero for me was always ugly. I, as the power user of Windows system, always used minimal configuration, and my windows 7 copy used ~700 MB in filepage.

Sure I coud use that too. But I don't, with the same reason that I don't use the superbar on XP, or true transparency.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 with Bing (CoreConnected) may be free        Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:42 am 
FTP Access

I would expect something like this would be crippled in some way (such as Metro only, no desktop), but that doesn't seem to be the case. It comes bundled with some MS apps, but can they be removed? Perhaps it's similar to the way Android phones are handled on major carriers, where they bundle some apps you probably don't care for, but you can't remove them unless you modify your device.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 with Bing (CoreConnected) may be free        Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:39 am 
FTP Access

Venetik wrote:
Classic shell is 3rd party software, not tied with Windows core, so it is not the point to have bloatware on PC.

And how exactly is Classic Shell bloatware,dare I ask?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 with Bing (CoreConnected) may be free        Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Serenity
Equinoxe wrote:
Venetik wrote:
Classic shell is 3rd party software, not tied with Windows core, so it is not the point to have bloatware on PC.

Just like ViStart was and all that transformation pack popular in the day. It adds nothing. Only takes resources (btw. I'm not that resource guy who want to optimize everything for sake of cpu or ram - I was that kind of person a years ago, when I had limited resources). Also these packs weren't much stable. That's why all these "addons" are for me bloatware.

But I know that people using it, just like they were using ViStart or XP Superbar.

Offtopic Comment
Yes, I know that's bump - however I left question unanswered, decided to reply with my thoughs about that.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 with Bing (CoreConnected) may be free        Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OpenNT
Venetik wrote:
Equinoxe wrote:
Venetik wrote:

Just like ViStart was and all that transformation pack popular in the day. It adds nothing. Only takes resources (btw. I'm not that resource guy who want to optimize everything for sake of cpu or ram - I was that kind of person a years ago, when I had limited resources). Also these packs weren't much stable. That's why all these "addons" are for me bloatware.

But I know that people using it, just like they were using ViStart or XP Superbar.

Offtopic Comment
Yes, I know that's bump - however I left question unanswered, decided to reply with my thoughs about that.

I would argue about this. I've been using classic shell for more that two years with windows 8.1 and it haven't crashed yet. So I think it's stable. Also, the basic definition of bloatware is "software that uses lots of resources while the program itself is not needed and/or has lots of not-so-needed functions." I'd call mcafee antivirus that installs with flash player. Since classic shell is installed with user permission, does not show ads and isn't resource hungry plus actually adds the feature user is installing the program for- replace metro start screen it coudn't be considered as bloatware in any way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 with Bing (CoreConnected) may be free        Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
I use ClassicShell on windows 7 and 8.1. It's hardly bloat, and it gets around most problems.

I found that if you pick the classic scheme in Windows 7, then the problem of the disappearing taskbar disappears. Not until i modded up a batch file to make it do so, though.

This is a tcc (jpsoftware) script for it. It runs in the runtime environment as well.

Code:
:: TODO: More error checking
::
setlocal
set SW_HIDE=0
set SW_SHOW=1
set hwndTaskBar=%@winapi[user32,FindWindow,"Shell_TrayWnd",""]
set hwndStartButton=%@winapi[user32,FindWindow,"Button","Start"]
iff d%1 eq dhide then
  set rc=%@winapi[user32,ShowWindow,%hwndTaskBar,%SW_HIDE]
  set rc=%@winapi[user32,ShowWindow,%hwndStartButton,%SW_HIDE]
elseiff d%1 eq dshow then
  set rc=%@winapi[user32,ShowWindow,%hwndTaskBar,%SW_SHOW]
  set rc=%@winapi[user32,ShowWindow,%hwndStartButton,%SW_SHOW]
else
  echo USAGE: %_BATCHNAME [Hide] [Show]
endiff
endlocal

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 with Bing (CoreConnected) may be free        Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 am 
Donator

Venetik wrote:
Equinoxe wrote:
Venetik wrote:

People tend to use Classic Shell to *save* resources and to reduce brain cancer risk, that wasn't the case with ViStart.

The Windows 10 start menu is rather slow and buggy, even two years after the initial release. Some people simply don't want to wait 5 seconds for the menu to appear and get ready. Search/Cortana is as badly optimized as the Start menu, actually it's even worse, it returns irrelevant results for clear enough queries (searching for "open" brings up WMP for whatever reason). This does not happen with Classic Shell.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 with Bing (CoreConnected) may be free        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:13 pm 
FTP Access

Well, you can turn off Cortana as well as online search results and after that search is almost like it was on Windows 7 or 8.1. I still miss the search for English settings. Such as UAC no longer shows up UAC in my language...

Though we are far off-topic by now.

Top  Profile