[LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

New news and release discussion.
giantsteen
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 3512
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:17 am
Location: Cologne, Germany

[LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by giantsteen »

9600.16596.WINBLUES14_GDR_LEAN.140114-0237

This build is x64 and it is an iso, and not an update. Lot's of cool features include:

-App Title Bars
-Shutdown button on Start Screen
-App Reorganization
-Modified for Mouse users
-Apps Taskbar
-Search button on Taskbar
-Internet Explorer 11.0.3 with Enterprise Mode
-No key needed (supposedly)


https://mega.co.nz/#!000jwYzJ!ZnnN3Wovr ... z_fO94dNhY

Password: winclub.pl
Image

WinPC

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by WinPC »

Well, it looks like we (finally) have another release on our hands. At the moment, I have already been keeping up with the development of upcoming versions of Windows on a daily basis for quite some time now, and I have even started work on my book on Windows 9 (I even installed a copy of Windows 8.1 Enterprise in place of Windows 9 itself, from which I even started writing the book itself).

All that I can say is that I will gladly look at this release, and I certainly hope that it will also help to breath some new life into our community as more people come to discuss the future of Windows.

I will be back later with a sort review on anything new that I find.

viper
User avatar
VIP
Posts: 779
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by viper »

Even though I'm a Mega member the DL speed started @ fast but stopped @ 38% & hasn't restarted again after 1 hour I gave up on that link. Going to wait until tomorrow or for a torrent or until BA has it on the FTP.

mrpijey
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 8162
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm
Contact:

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by mrpijey »

Downloaded fine and extracted for me. So, is this a beta update or is it actually a leak of the final rtm update?
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

baap786
FTP Access
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:55 pm

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by baap786 »

worked fine for me as well. Thanks for the link!

Terra854
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:57 am
Location: Singapore

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by Terra854 »

mrpijey wrote:Downloaded fine and extracted for me. So, is this a beta update or is it actually a leak of the final rtm update?
We do not even know if this is RTM or beta as it still says "Build 9600"

mrpijey
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 8162
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm
Contact:

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by mrpijey »

Well you need to look what it says after 9600. I.e 9600.16596. But question is, what will be the build number be for Update 1 RTM? And this is even a slipstreamed update, which makes it unsure if we can even release it on BA at this time, or even have it linked on the forum. If it had been a post-Win8.1 release (i.e a beta for say, Windows 8.2) it would have been fine, but from what I understand it's just a service pack. And by default we don't accept slipstreamed beta service packs as they contain RTM components.

But does this release act as a beta? I.e timebombs, can't be activated with RTM keys etc? Because if it doesn't have a timebomb and can be activated using RTM keys then it definately can't go on the forums as it's basically an updated store release, making it classed as warez.

The ISO has also been edited with UltraISO, so the question is again, what has been modified and what do we do to restore it? I am guessing it's the usual EI.CFG? And btw, the EI.CFG says "[Channel] Retail"....

Edit: After inspecting the ISO it's indeed ie.cfg that has been injected as its time/date stamps differ from the rest. So by removing it I am guessing it will no longer accept retail keys? It also have a "winclub.pl.url" file injected but that one goes either way.
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Terra854
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:57 am
Location: Singapore

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by Terra854 »

Just asking. What is the function of ie.cfg for?

BAV0
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by BAV0 »

Terra854 wrote:Just asking. What is the function of ie.cfg for?
It decides what version gets installed, Retail/Volume, Core/Pro, normally the iso is locked to 1 specific version, this one allows to install both.


Changelog from Leaked(the leaker):
- Pinning metro apps to desktop taskbar.
- Classic taskbar in ModernApp (Bugged).
- Link to classic Control Panel in PC Settings.
- Shutdown button on the start screen.
- Search button on the start screen.
- Context Menu appears when you right-click on the ModernApp (Tiles).
- Tittle on the ModernApp and close button.
- Sorted App list in Apps screen (all programs) by default.
- Update Internet Explorer to 11.0.3.
- Hidden "Enterprise Mode" in Internet Explorer (in develop).
Find me elsewhere on the web:
ImageImageImage

BetaNewbie
FTP Access
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:38 am

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by BetaNewbie »

mrpijey wrote:Well you need to look what it says after 9600. I.e 9600.16596. But question is, what will be the build number be for Update 1 RTM? And this is even a slipstreamed update, which makes it unsure if we can even release it on BA at this time, or even have it linked on the forum. If it had been a post-Win8.1 release (i.e a beta for say, Windows 8.2) it would have been fine, but from what I understand it's just a service pack. And by default we don't accept slipstreamed beta service packs as they contain RTM components.

But does this release act as a beta? I.e timebombs, can't be activated with RTM keys etc? Because if it doesn't have a timebomb and can be activated using RTM keys then it definately can't go on the forums as it's basically an updated store release, making it classed as warez.

The ISO has also been edited with UltraISO, so the question is again, what has been modified and what do we do to restore it? I am guessing it's the usual EI.CFG? And btw, the EI.CFG says "[Channel] Retail"....

Edit: After inspecting the ISO it's indeed ie.cfg that has been injected as its time/date stamps differ from the rest. So by removing it I am guessing it will no longer accept retail keys? It also have a "winclub.pl.url" file injected but that one goes either way.
This is a GDR build, like the usual Service Pack. And the 8.1 Update RTM will still be 9600.
Maybe we can just upload the MSU file, but don't upload the whole ISO.

Terra854
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:57 am
Location: Singapore

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by Terra854 »

The download contains only one isos and no msus.

By the way anyone has a product key for this?

878625670
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:49 pm
Location: the country where pandas live

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by 878625670 »

In my opinion, it's a beta. The license in the iso says "PRE-RELEASE" and the watermark on the desktop also told us it's a beta. According to the label of the iso "IR3", it should be Refresh 3 Beta. Also, there're some builds after 9600.16596, so it IS a beta.

The Distractor

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by The Distractor »

another leak?!

That guy is obviously fearless of what could happen to him/his source.

Terra854
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:57 am
Location: Singapore

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by Terra854 »

The Distractor wrote:another leak?!

That guy is obviously fearless of what could happen to him/his source.
Yup! It is because of guys like him that make BetaArchive a thriving community!

thangpq.fuhl
FTP Access
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by thangpq.fuhl »

I'm using laptop with Windows 8 Single Language embed,
I upgraded to Pro already and now when I run this leaked build directly from hard drive, it said " Setup has failed to validate the product key"

Any solution ?

giantsteen
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 3512
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:17 am
Location: Cologne, Germany

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by giantsteen »

Terra854 wrote:The download contains only one isos and no msus.

By the way anyone has a product key for this?
Supposedly it doesn't need a key though.
Image

zacb27
FTP Access
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by zacb27 »

You could also add "Desktop-esque right click menus in start screen" to the features section
Image
AYY LMAO

Blackvista
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:37 pm
Location: Sofia, BG
Contact:

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by Blackvista »

I don't see something like "Search button on Taskbar" .. Maybe a mistake or a very very carefully hidden option?
SP+ - Windows 8.1 Update 1 rules!!
MetroColours - Design it with Metro, make it look gorgeous! :3
Project "LongHorn" - Will be the best project about LH out there !! :)

zacb27
FTP Access
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by zacb27 »

Blackvista wrote:I don't see something like "Search button on Taskbar" .. Maybe a mistake or a very very carefully hidden option?
I think they meant the permanent search button on the start screen
Image
AYY LMAO

Hackerpcs
Donator
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:57 am
Location: Greece

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by Hackerpcs »

The Distractor wrote:another leak?!

That guy is obviously fearless of what could happen to him/his source.
My thought also

Melcher
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:36 pm
Contact:

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by Melcher »

mrpijey wrote:But question is, what will be the build number be for Update 1 RTM? (...)
If you ask me, I think that the build nummer will stay at 9600. If they had any intention to go up, they would already have increased the buildnumber by now, don't you think?

WinPC

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by WinPC »

giantsteen wrote:9600.16596.WINBLUES14_GDR_LEAN.140114-0237

This build is x64 and it is an iso, and not an update. Lot's of cool features include:

-App Title Bars
-Shutdown button on Start Screen
-App Reorganization
-Modified for Mouse users
-Apps Taskbar
-Search button on Taskbar
-Internet Explorer 11.0.3 with Enterprise Mode
-No key needed (supposedly)


https://mega.co.nz/#!000jwYzJ!ZnnN3Wovr ... z_fO94dNhY

Password: winclub.pl
Could you please re-upload that file to another source? Mega.co.nz is blocked on my connection.

zacb27
FTP Access
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by zacb27 »

WinPC wrote:Could you please re-upload that file to another source? Mega.co.nz is blocked on my connection.
You know... just googling the buildnumber gives direct links like this one: http://download.digiex.net/Betas/Window ... US_DV5.iso
Image
AYY LMAO

WinPC

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by WinPC »

zacb27 wrote:
WinPC wrote:Could you please re-upload that file to another source? Mega.co.nz is blocked on my connection.
You know... just googling the buildnumber gives direct links like this one: http://download.digiex.net/Betas/Window ... US_DV5.iso
Sorry, that link is blocked on my connection also:
You already have more than 2 downloads processing.. Stop being greedy!

Tandyman100
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: http://retro-box.net
Contact:

Re: [LEAK] Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Pre-Release

Post by Tandyman100 »

Just got it installed in VMWare Player on my computer.

Host specs:
Core2Duo 1.8GHz
4GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel 4500MHD


Client specs:
2GB RAM
Core2Duo 1.8GHz
Windows 8.1 Pro GDR Beta

It runs quite well for being in a VM. Not as well as bare metal, but good enough for testing purposes. I might make a video highlighting some of the changes later.
Supertools Super Breakfast Club.

Locked