BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 62d, 14h, 50m | CPU: 68% | MEM: 5049MB of 12211MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:26 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Among other things, Threshold hasn't even started development yet, it's still in planning. According to the article, development of Threshold will begin in late April, after BUILD 2014.

Source: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/thres ... april-2015

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:43 pm 
Donator

I am look forward to leaking....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
BoyLoveGirl, won't be for a while yet. I already referenced the article in saying that Threshold dev hasn't even started yet...

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 with Update 6.3.9600
If dev hasn't started yet, what are those lazy MS asses doing atm?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Just reading some of the comments shows so much of the absolute lack of any concept of "Middle Ground" that there is on the Internet today... 8-)

Argument 1: Metro is completely good and has no issues at all because touch is the future...
Argument 2: Metro is completely bad because it is only suited for touch screens and Windows 8 needed the Windows 7 desktop for keyboard and mouse users

I did see a few comments that were worth reading, including several where people correctly stated that poor marketing was an issue for Windows 8.

I think that part of the issue here was that many Windows 8 presentations were far too biased towards touch devices. Even during earlier keynotes during Windows 8's development, they were showing it being used on touch devices, with little reference at all to the desktop. That may well have created the perception that Windows 8 was simply "not designed or tested on the desktop", and that the "Desktop" only continued to be included to serve as the equivalent of the Command Prompt in earlier versions of Windows (with the apparent intention to phase out the desktop completely in that same way).

But if those perceptions were true, then why did Microsoft even bother updating the desktop at all, with new features such as the Ribbon UI? Surely, they would never do this if the "Desktop" was some sort of "legacy mode" as some people seem to make out, right?

I do agree however that the software industry is unfortunately dying, though I still hold a great deal of hope with Windows 9.

My suggestions for Windows 9:

- Modern UI equivalents of desktop apps such as Paint and WordPad
- Ability to install and boot Windows from a SkyDrive account
- Run and Add/Remove Programs commands accessible from the Start screen
- Ability to search through a list of all apps from the desktop, using the Charm bar
- A proper "quick launch" menu included as part of the Charm bar
- Tutorials on using Windows 9, not only during Setup, but also accessible from the "Help and Tips" app
- Deduplication provided as a feature for client versions of Windows 9, especially for use on tablets (certainly for tablets with lower disk capacities), but also available for the desktop
- "Instant On" features for devices, at least with tablets but also available for the desktop (basically the equivalent of logging off and entering Sleep mode, but also with the option to set the system to automatically hibernate and power back on during the hours that it is not used)

There, those are my suggestions. I certainly hope that Windows 9 will help to improve on the concept set by Windows 8, and that it will also help to move past the issues that people had with it (including the "touch-oriented" perception).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Stannieman wrote:
If dev hasn't started yet, what are those lazy MS asses doing atm?

Uhh, it's called "planning". And it's pretty important ya know...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
jplg 1.0.1
WinPC wrote:
where people correctly stated that poor marketing was an issue for Windows 8

if that is correct then I don't know in what upside-down world you live in
it was obvious from very start that Desktop OS cannot be Tablet OS

and this is where yet again Apple made better choice, they have iOS for devices and OSX for workstations
while MS took lazy and clumsy way and used Desktop OS for both
and to greater insult they only slapped on their precious Metro ontop of win32 shell

yes marketing is the real issue ...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MouseOnMars wrote:
WinPC wrote:
where people correctly stated that poor marketing was an issue for Windows 8

Except that this was exactly the line of reasoning that I was arguing against...
MouseOnMars wrote:
and this is where yet again Apple made better choice, they have iOS for devices and OSX for workstations
and to greater insult they only slapped on their precious Metro ontop of win32 shell
First of all, when you install Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, you are given a choice. Nothing is forcing you to use the Start screen at all. All that you have to do, really, is to select the Desktop tile and there you are - in the Desktop - plain and simple.

Also, while I use Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Professional in a dual-boot configuration (even typing this from Windows 8.1 Pro as I write this), I am not forced to use the Modern UI either. I have used Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 combined on a daily basis since before Windows 8 was even released, and while admittedly I have used the new apps, that was mainly due to my studies into the evolution of the operating system.

But on a daily basis, even when I use Windows 8.1 Pro, I still spend most of my time, by far, on the desktop, with hardly any need to go into the Start screen, let alone to leave the Desktop entirely. And the reason is that most of the programs that I use (Virtual PC, VirtualBox, WinImage, and PCem) are utilities that are specifically designed for the Windows Desktop, with no need for the Modern UI whatsoever.
MouseOnMars wrote:
The main issue with Windows 8 was indeed to do with marketing, as well as negative journalism. Even the commercials showed it being used on tablets, and never on desktops or notebooks. Plus, all of the Windows 8 demonstrations were done on touch devices, giving it the wrong perception among viewers. Add to that the fact that far too many people either said that the new user interface was completely good because of touch being "the future" or because it was completely bad and that Microsoft needed to simply go back to the old Windows 7 desktop.

Windows 8.1 did address some of these issues, though, one of which being the lack of a proper Help and Support app for the Start screen, as well as a lack of easy to access documentation for Windows 8 itself, and I admit that a lot of its new features were already based on criticism of Windows 8. But I still think that the real deal will occur in Windows 9.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
-"Ability to install and boot Windows from a SkyDrive account" BLOODY GOOD IDEA, i hope Microsoft use that idea.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:02 am 

MouseOnMars wrote:

+1. Windows 8 was just the epitome of incompetence; it's clear where real intelligence lies.

betaluva wrote:
-"Ability to install and boot Windows from a SkyDrive account" BLOODY GOOD IDEA, i hope Microsoft use that idea.

I sure don't. I want to use my PC when I lose my connection to the Internet; not have it turn into one of those useless Chromebooks. That or be stuck at a place that only offers dialup access and have to literally wait a week for my PC to boot.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Holmes wrote:
MouseOnMars wrote:

+1. Windows 8 was just the epitome of incompetence; it's clear where real intelligence lies.
Read my posts on the matter, and you will see what is really going on here...
Holmes wrote:
betaluva wrote:

I sure don't. I want to use my PC when I lose my connection to the Internet; not have it turn into one of those useless Chromebooks. That or be stuck at a place that only offers dialup access and have to literally wait a week for my PC to boot.
Except that I never argued that Microsoft should prevent installations on local hard disks or USB disks. Of course, I agree that they must obviously continue to allow installations onto normal hard disks and USB drives if they are to even survive. I just said that installing to a SkyDrive account should be available as an option, but that people should be able to choose between that and a local hard disk or USB drive. I never said that it should be required at all, so I'm not sure where you got that from.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn Build 4074
I wonder what's with the codename. Threshold? Seems strange. I don't think Windows 8 had a codename.

I look forward to more information, like everyone else, and a leak.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
betaluva wrote:

And how do we boot from there???

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Holmes wrote:
You know, that is why it is called an ability not a feature, nor an existing feature replacement. It is just something new that could possibly get introduced and you could use it if you wanted

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:49 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Win 10 64-bit
We can discuss the -speculation- of features all day, but in the end that's all they are.

People are always going to want certain things, and they might or might not be implemented.
So, don't get too heated in discussion over features which may or may not be included.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:45 pm 

Favourite OS
NetBSD
Terra854 wrote:
betaluva wrote:

And how do we boot from there???

It could use a modification of the PXE protocol.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- WinPC: I can understand you like Windows 8 and 8.1, and feel compelled to defend it. But I kindly ask you to be more tolerant towards differing opinions and accept the fact not everyone is going to agree with you, as well as the fact that the possibility exists that you might be wrong. The same goes for the opposing side too.

That said, I personally think the forcing of Metro (and yes, that's still the case on Windows 8.1, since you still have to use the Start Screen because they haven't brought back the Start Menu despite consumer demand) is one of the main reasons why Windows 8 and 8.1 weren't received as well. Add to that the fact that if you want to skip the Microsoft Account registration in Windows 8.1, you have to guess how to do it (there's no simple Skip button), as well as the fact you're dropped into Metro on start-up, then have to click a button to get to the Desktop, with no way to configure it (which IMHO should be an option at Setup time), and I can pretty much see why it's angering the consumers.
Also, the entire OS is touch-oriented, with the fact that even on the Desktop, windows informing you a device has been connected etc. have been replaced with touch-oriented side things (no idea how they're called), even using the word "tap" even when you're on a regular PC with keyboard, mouse, and no touch.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:05 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
According to a tweet by WZor, Threshold could RTM as early as 21st October, 2014.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
i think there is some confusion, what i meant was , there should be a iso of your Windows version stored on your Skydrive, then if you need to reinstall Windows after wiping your hard drive, you could boot your pc, connect to the internet via Win Recovery Environment ( which is stored in a rom chip/usb HD/flashdrive) or via a Recovery Environment in the bios ,download the iso file,install Windows,activate with your product key( or delay activation),and get on with what ever you need to do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn Build 4074
The Distractor wrote:
According to a tweet by WZor, Threshold could RTM as early as 21st October, 2014.

Yeesh. It's almost as if Windows is having a new version every year. First Windows 8, then Windows 8.1 roughly a year later, and now this, if it holds up to this date.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:42 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Battler wrote:
- WinPC: I can understand you like Windows 8 and 8.1, and feel compelled to defend it. But I kindly ask you to be more tolerant towards differing opinions and accept the fact not everyone is going to agree with you, as well as the fact that the possibility exists that you might be wrong. The same goes for the opposing side too.

That said, I personally think the forcing of Metro (and yes, that's still the case on Windows 8.1, since you still have to use the Start Screen because they haven't brought back the Start Menu despite consumer demand) is one of the main reasons why Windows 8 and 8.1 weren't received as well. Add to that the fact that if you want to skip the Microsoft Account registration in Windows 8.1, you have to guess how to do it (there's no simple Skip button), as well as the fact you're dropped into Metro on start-up, then have to click a button to get to the Desktop, with no way to configure it (which IMHO should be an option at Setup time), and I can pretty much see why it's angering the consumers.
Also, the entire OS is touch-oriented, with the fact that even on the Desktop, windows informing you a device has been connected etc. have been replaced with touch-oriented side things (no idea how they're called), even using the word "tap" even when you're on a regular PC with keyboard, mouse, and no touch.
In case you haven't heard, Windows 8.1 actually added the ability to boot to the desktop automatically without having to go through the Start screen.

Also, I have nothing against people's personal opinions; as far as I'm concerned, people are perfectly free to their own opinions (on the contrary, I have also learned to accept criticisms of features in earlier versions of Windows, such as Active Desktop, etc...). What I'm arguing against is not opinions by themselves (I'm perfectly tolerant of anyone's personal opinion), but rather the "black and white" viewpoints that people have for their various "sides".

Obviously, I know that people have criticized Windows 8, with some criticisms being more constructive, and others being less constructive. However, the problem that I see here is that I haven't seen enough people sending feedback to Microsoft so that they can help to improve it. Instead, it's either people arguing for it completely, or arguing against it completely, with virtually no middle ground in between. It's either "Metro is bad and we should have the Windows 7 desktop" or "Metro is good because touch is the future". In my opinion, people at least should try to send feedback on improving the features of a product before deciding on such "opinions".

Personally, when I use Windows 8.1, I use the desktop almost exclusively, especially when you consider that most of what I do involves more hardcore tasks such as researching the development timelines of operating systems and other things like that, and of course, I have little need to go into the Start screen at the moment. Occasionally, I will use the Search "charm" to access a program that I need (usually Notepad), but that's about it at the moment. But I still understand the purpose of the new Modern UI as well as the work that has clearly gone into it.

It is true, however, that another main reason behind the initial failure of Windows 8 was the lack of consistency in the user interface. As I have noted earlier, there were several issues in all of this, one being the lack of a fully featured Control Panel equivalent, as well as the complete lack of a comparable equivalent to the Help and Support Center. Many of these issues have even been addressed in Windows 8.1, including even the ability to boot to the desktop mentioned above, as well as improvements to the taskbar (an easier to locate Start tip, for example), and also the ability to use the Search feature to run a program, rather than having to go through the whole Apps screen, which I admit was likely to be a problem for some people.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
Question:

If it has not even started development, and build is in April, and they plan to start development after build... they plan to develop a full fledged numbered entry into the Windows series in a year?

I am a bit curious what they are targeting. Are they targeting touch screen again? Or will they be going a different path?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- WinPC: Actually, there has been tons of negative feedback on most, if not all, blog posts on Microsoft's blog promoting Windows 8, usually the blog poster would outright ask for feedback, but then all negative feedback was routinely ignored, and the next blog post would always again praise the new features of Windows 8, and so on, despite the comments. So Microsoft knew of what the consumers thought, but chose to ignore it.

PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:48 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Battler wrote:
- WinPC: Actually, there has been tons of negative feedback on most, if not all, blog posts on Microsoft's blog promoting Windows 8, usually the blog poster would outright ask for feedback, but then all negative feedback was routinely ignored, and the next blog post would always again praise the new features of Windows 8, and so on, despite the comments. So Microsoft knew of what the consumers thought, but chose to ignore it.
Again, lack of middle ground (not to mention flaming and insults towards the other side, which is not at all justified regardless of opinion). Note that by "lack of middle ground" and "flaming and insults towards the other side", I am not referring to your post at all Battler (of course not since I have no reason to be annoyed at you when you clearly did nothing wrong), but rather the posts that I have quoted below.

To sum it up, I have included posts from both sides of the argument from May 2012 on Microsoft's Windows 8 Consumer Preview page (and I apologize if it is too long for people to read; if it would make it easier then I can always link to each post rather than posting all of their entire contents here):
Avotos wrote:
Given certain software that I have to use for my lively-hood, I have been "stuck" with having to use Microsoft Operating Systems to continue their usage. To put it simply, Windows 8 is the worst operating system I have ever had to experience. The sad thing is, the consumer will buy it because of the "Hype" and the "Propaganda" that will be utilized to market it.

Microsoft/Bill Gates, instead of continually using "Hype" and "Propaganda" to market "Garbage" to consumers and bilking them out of hundreds of dollars, it would be a great change if you would do the "Honorable" thing by developing a usable, low-cost, secure OS without unnecessary complications(which suggest ease of use) and the constant need to bloat the operation of the standard desktop with Bling or programs/code that have no real purpose other than to cause problems(BSOD).

Once the programs that I normally use are available for Linux(possibly Debian) which most versions are free, I will be moving on to greener pastures.

To the average consumer, do not buy Windows 8! If you have to use Win 7, don't give Microsoft any more money by upgrading to Win 8, as the pattern currently has proven itself, wait for Win 9 and hope that Microsoft will have worked through their greed by then...
arielfmdp wrote:
Please, let the users be able to disable the awful Metro UI for desktop PC, and notebooks, and netbooks !

That would be great. Thank you.
carloszuppa wrote:
First, I apologize for my english, it is very poor., but wih yours indulgence...

Desktop won't die in corporative or scientific world. That's mean keyboard, mouse, etc... I shall limit my few observations for desktop machines.

True, the Desktop is still around, and it really works fine, its fast, fluid, I think better than Win7 (why it doens't a Metro look?, I don't understand). With the help of the functionality of a dock like Rocketdock for favorite applications, we can have again the same functionnality as in Win7. Perhaps a Metro dock for favorite applications that will be accesed moving mouse left will be great.

But, the Start part, all applications there are awful. Functionallity of standard programs like Internet Explore, or Evernote could not be compared with the standard one. Furthermore, using Facebook in Internet Explore continue to be better!!

Windows 8 seems to be Tablet-oriented, ok, it's a Microsoft concern. But I'm not very optimistic on Win8 on desktop or notebooks.

I have to say that I like metro look very much, I have in all my notebooks a combination of Win7, Metro 7 and RocketDock. Why change?
greybeard65 wrote:
I put windows 8 on and took it off the same day. You have a long way to go before improving on windows 7. Didn't like the main page at all. Need the start back. I will stay with windows 7 thanks you
MDRUSMC wrote:
Not a very PC friendly OS. If you have a big monitor it becomes tiresome to scroll, and snap-to won't work on certain size screens.

as a computer administator, this OS may be a dream, or a nightmare.

Not a very usable OS for the workplace, espectially if people are spending work time playing with apps! which they do on their phones anyhow.

the feel, colors, and large app boxes just destroy the feel of using a computer. i feel as if i am using a phone.

People may like it, but i wonder what they use the computer for, just to chat or use email and play free app games?

I hope that Microsoft will recognize the need for an OS that is simple and focuses on performance of the processors and gpu's that are coming out rapidly. this OS seem more for kids than adults, maybe that is their target area, people who don't know computers.

Mac's OS operates a lot faster.

I am also hoping that Microsoft will not force us to install a bunch of useless stuff just to delete later. I would like for the operating system to ask me which programs to install instead of installing everything in every language.

I would also like to see windows automatically turn off unecessary programs when i don't need them,

I don't see people who are gamers, designers, or other professions which only focus on one or two things using win 8.

these people like myself use high powered computers with win 7 that already downgrades it's performance and gpu's for graphics program, and sound cards for music production. We need speed, efficiency, and more pc and less operating system using up valuable ram, cpu, and read write times. We don't need a 20gb os that does nothing but try to make us believe that we are moving into the future!

Sometimes less is more!

when you go to the microsoft website, they say they are for HOME, WORK, IT PROS, AND FOR DEVELOPERS.

WHAT ABOUT THE GAMER, THE INDIVIDUAL, THE ARTIST, THE PC USER!

Start from scratch! this OS is terrible!!!
Chaz wrote:
Thought I'd point out something else about Windows 8:

-There are no BUTTONS! How do you know what is just text and what is a control?

-Why abandon the notion of "one click to select, two clicks to open/execute." Now it is right click to select and left click to open. For as long as I remember (since Win95) it's been that way. Why change it? For touchscreen users? Then simply have it as a single tap on a touchscreen, and a double click with a mouse!

-From all the people I know who've moved to mac computers, the right-click menu is what they said they missed most about Windows. Now the right-click menu is no longer a menu but a bar along the bottom of the screen. So when you right-click at the top-right of the screen you have to move the mouse ALL THE WAY TO THE OPPOSITE CORNER. A really big annoying pain that shouldn't be necessary. Especially when you're rearranging the start screen this is VERY annoying.

-No Start menu, that's what I miss most. I find it impossible to find anything on the start screen or the All Programs-er ahem- "Apps" list, because everything side scrolls and is really huge. A single vertical list, with normal size buttons and ordered in alphabetical order, is the fastest way to find something (at least for me). The single place where you can find anything was why I like the Start menu (I run everything from the Start menu, apart from 3 programs pinned to the taskbar: Explorer, IE, and MS Works Dictionary). Now everything is spread all over the place and difficult to find. I don't want a HUGE list of Favourites, I want an automatically ordered one.

-The scroll bars in Metro and IE10 are ugly, difficult to see, and don't match with everything else. Why? Why do the normal scrollbars exist everywhere else in the desktop but not in IE10? Make the scrollbars like they've always been (not with huge arrows).

-Microsoft is trying to create a closed system by only being able to install a program from the "Store." Sure, there's a risk of viruses, etc. but that's what antivirus programs are for! MS states that it simplifies things for the people who download hundreds of programs off the internet and cleans everything up, but usually people only do this if they're experienced users, so this is not a problem.

-There are no advanced menus, anywhere. That's what I like about previous versions of Windows--it is so customisable! Not any more.

The way I see it, MS is trying to turn Windows into a giant smartphone. This is NOT something I want to work on!

--Chaz
joseps78 wrote:
I am trying to get use to windows8 functionality. As of now I have no intention of installing windows 8 in my 5 desktops running quad cpu's. I am old. I am sure windows 8 will lost all seniors like me. I think the windows 8 designers are young and hard headed and will refuse the suggestions of current desktop users.
DeveloperChris wrote:
Removing the start button will proove to be a fatal error for Microsoft, when it comes to the market share of their OS. Just put one of your parents in fromt of windows 8, and you will know why this setup is going to fail. Who has touch on their PC displays? Who wants to be cleaning the stains from their display ALL day ? Especially on those shiny ones.

Some years ago i switched from windows mobile to iOS. What a relief! After testing windows8 now would be a good moment to switch to MAC OSx and NEVER return to windows.
oiler407 wrote:
iam enjoying this new windows 8, its awesome to be able to link everything I do into one page.
[/quote] > The only two proper feedback posts that I actually found from May 2012:
BPAWthe1st wrote:
Since the feedback tool is closed and I have seen no other ways to provide feedback, I'll use this blog post. Here are some problems I've had with the beta, excuse me, Consumer Preview, that can hopefully be addressed before final release:

1) Folder views do not "stick" with their folder. Once I set a view and go to a different folder and set that view, it affects all other views

2) no recent documents? Really? what kind office worker is going to want to "upgrade" to an OS that is going to force them to locate or search for each file they want to use?

3) Better integration between Apps and windows programs (Music and video apps are garbage and do not tie in with WMP or libraries) and WMP should show songs when adjusting volume too

4) Add the ability to rearrange (drap and drop) multiple apps at once for quick and easy organization

5) Extend mousing sideways screen scroll to all apps

6) Allow typing in Metro to select files/pictures as in Explorer (In SkyDrive, typing first few letters will select the file beginning with those letters)

7) Why is Windows Update under Settings? It does not seem intuitive, like it should be an app. Also, installing updates from metro and from explorer is two different experiences. should be smooth.

8) which leads to, in general, there needs to be some cleaning up of settings and whether they are adjusted in metro, explorer, or both. i shouldnt have to open Control Panel in Explorer and be directed to go to Metro to change something. I would say redundancy in both is probably best so people who use one or the other more often arent forced to switch.

9) No more aero peek? the option is still there, but there is no panel. i understand the hot corner aspect, but aero peek was one of the best features to come out of 7.

10) sync more things and allow people to CHOOSE what to sync (backgrounds, apps backup or at least list of apps installed, settings for WMP, desktop icons, favorites)

11) search function needs to be tweaked (typing Computer Management doesnt bring up anything, whereas in 7 it brought up exactly what i wanted)

12) if I'm searching for a file, it would be a heck of a lot easier if type in Excel.xlsx, and there is obviously no app or setting named that, that it should default to File for search instead of making the user click on File. I'm used to hitting the Start key and typing. i understand I can use Win+F, but to accommodate to what people are used to, if Settings and Apps yield 0 search results, default to Files (same goes for typing specific Settings name, like Computer Management)

13) Too wide of a margin for resizing at the top of a window (i find myself accidentally resizing a lot when I wanted to drag the window)

14) Easier way to Shut Down and Log Off (completely breaking from old habits is confusing, at least put a log off option where the Shut Down option is)

Whether anyone of any importance reads this, but I hope some of these problems get addressed. I think Microsoft also could have done a lot better by creating a dedicated forum for Windows 8 feedback, but I searched and searched and couldn't find anything.
Morton wrote:
Different devices are appropriate for different working contexts. With a phone I don’t have the screen space to view more than one app at one time and generally I want to be able to glance at it and get a summary of my day and current messages. For this Metro works well.

On a desktop I’m working with multiple documents at once, I’m launching new programs and context switching, then closing the once that I’m done with. Metro and the new charms get in the way here. I don’t want my whole screen to effectively become my start menu, the context switch is disruptive. Getting the charms menu up is fiddly and not intuitive (yes you can learn, but that is missing the point, this should be something you don’t need training for The first time I encountered them I didn’t know how I got them, then later I couldn’t work out how to get them back. It shouldn’t need to be this way. I still have problems getting them even though I now know about them.

Closing Metro apps is fiddly, and I definitely want to be able to close them rather than have them passivate into the background because that is part of my working context, if they are closed then that task is done. If they are still open when I return to my PC I have to remember if I still need them, if there is more to do.

Remember the PC/Desktop paradigm is about having stacks of paper (windows) that you are currently working on all available. You don’t move desk when you need to context switch you just select the piece of paper you need at that point.

Metro works well on a phone, and may work well on a tablet, but gets in the way when I’m working in an office context. To try and be constructive I think there are easy tweaks that could be done to improve things without significant divergence from the Metro style.

1) Allow users to optionally have a start button equivalent, (alternatively have an application menu ‘button’ with the charms). The application/start menu would pop up (in the desktop) with the first column of tiles from the metro UI (not necessarily live ones). Perhaps additional colums could also show as sub menus.

2) Allow users (on PC’s) to launch Metro apps into windows on a desktop. These windows could be a fixed size and only be minimized or closed.

3) Have a ‘button’ to open the charms that fades in when you move your mouse to the right of the screen.

4) Rationalize the settings / control panel. It’s confusing to have two ways of changing different types of settings.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: "Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015        Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- WinPC: What you seem unable to understand to me is that Microsoft is corporation that wants to sell a product. So if your consumers are coming back that harsh a feedback, it is up to Microsoft to accomodate the product to their needs too. It is not up to the consumers to adapt and find a middle ground. The consumers are deciding whether they will spend their hard-earned money on the new OS or not.
This is a lot like when in the 1980's, The Coca-Cola Company launched New Coke. It failed big time and resulted in lots of protest. But this is where The Coca-Cola Company did better than Microsoft - it listened to its users and brought back Coca-Cola Classic.
Microsoft on the other hand refused to listen to their users. Sure, it brought back the Start button but improved on little other. And this is not the first time Microsoft has behaved like that. When they ditched classic Visual Basic in favor of VB.NET back in 2002, they were also met with lots of criticism and protests, even massive petitions to bring back classic VB. And then too, Microsoft decided to ignore it all. Then, just like during the Windows 8 and 8.1 development, Microsoft essentially told those consumers that did not like the decisions, to shut up and adapt.
It is the basic of marketing that when your consumers hate your product, you need to change to satisfy their demands. You on the other hand want to see some middle ground reached. But when you are deciding whether to spend your hard-earned money on a product, there is no middle ground. Either the product meets your needs and requirements, or you are not buying it. And both you and Microsoft seem to fail to get that.