BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 59d, 16h, 0m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 5070MB of 12235MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Upcoming changes to the FTP...        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:57 am 
Administrator

To prepare for the development and deployment of the upcoming database there will be a few (!) changes made to the FTP and the way releases are reported...

---
First, the FTP layout will change somewhat. Today we have a single rar-file to represent a release, but soon that single rar-file will become a folder instead. Within the folder will be several smaller rar-files to represent the various parts of the release. Here's an example of how it may look like:

Code:
Claris ClarisWorks 4.0 (1995) [Swedish] (3½)
├───artwork.rar            :: Floppy and CD/DVD scans, boxscans, sleeves etc
├───documentation.rar      :: Scanned manuals, reg. cards, addendums etc. May also include PDFs and other formats.
├───kryoflux.rar           :: The raw kryoflux dump for this media (only for floppies!).
├───media_cd.rar           :: The software CD-ROM image.
├───media_dvd.rar          :: As above but from DVD-ROM.
├───media_floppy_35.rar    :: 3.5' floppy images. May be everything from 720KB images to 2.88MB depending on platform.
├───media_floppy_525.rar   :: 5.25' floppy image files. May be anything from 160KB images to 1.6MB images depending on platform.
├───media_other.rar        :: Anything that doesn't fit the above.
├───patches.rar            :: Any official patches or updates to the software.
└───release_info.txt       :: Basic release info such as leaker, date, authenticity, quality etc.

The names of the various files are not final yet, this is only an example!

The filenames should be quite explanatory, if not check the comments after each... This will make it simpler for both the members and us. You will be able to grab just the stuff you want instead of downloading a 900MB package just to get the 4 floppy images within. For us it will be simpler as the database will be mostly automated, so it can check these folders and detect if we have artwork, discs, floppies etc and read out the various info. I have further plans for this layout but it will concern mostly the population of the database rather than anything the members will notice.

Note that the above is just an example, I am still testing out a few combinations. The overall size of the archive will not differ from before (except for added patches and kryoflux dumps) and we'll be using the same compression settings (recovery archive etc) as before to facilitate effective deduplication on our servers.

As you may guess, beta releases will not be affected much as they rarely have any additional scans, patches or any other info, but to have the same standard throughout the FTP the changes will be applied there as well. But I will start with all the abandonware first. So don't be alarmed if folders appear all of a sudden.

Remember, all this is one step further towards our goal to become a pure preservation site, so it's not a matter of if it will be implemented, but when. And a matter of how.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:54 am 
Donator

I believe this is a great idea - but it seems like it will take a lot of work to accomplish.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:43 am 
Donator

Patrick wrote:
I believe this is a great idea - but it seems like it will take a lot of work to accomplish.

if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. this would allow for a lot of flexibility in how files get distributed to interested people, though yeah, it will be a ton of work. great idea though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Development Release #5
Just a quick question:

Will several releases of the same thing get grouped in one folder? For example if we have Windows 98 in both CD and 3.5, will there be:
Code:
Microsoft Windows 98 (3½)
├─── artwork.rar
├─── media_floppy_35.rar
└─── release_info.txt

Microsoft Windows 98 (CD)
├─── artwork.rar
├─── media_cd.rar
└─── release_info.txt

or
Code:
Microsoft Windows 98
├─── artwork.rar
├─── media_cd.rar
├─── media_floppy_35.rar
└─── release_info.txt

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:10 pm 
Administrator

No, they won't. Each release will be treated individually as if it were a retail bundle, so anything that goes with that particular bundle will go together, otherwise there will be a second release etc. Everything will stay just as it is now release-wise, the only difference will be the separation into the subparts, i.e artwork, media, documentation etc.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
FOr the Win98 example, would retail/OEM/upgrade be in their own seperate folders?

And what about various OEM versions of DOS and Win 1.x/2.x/3.x?

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
what will differentiate between

Code:
├───[b]artwork.rar [/b]           

Code:
Some Other Package 2.0 (1995) [Swedish] (3½)
├───[b]artwork.rar[/b]

say i download both artwork.rar's how will i be able to tell what it belongs to ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:55 pm 
Administrator

The Distractor wrote:
FOr the Win98 example, would retail/OEM/upgrade be in their own seperate folders?

And what about various OEM versions of DOS and Win 1.x/2.x/3.x?
Yes they would, just as they are now. Remember, the release name won't change, the current rar file will become a folder. So any [OEM] etc will still be in the folder name separating them from the others.

dans34 wrote:
Code:
├───[b]artwork.rar [/b]           

Code:
├───[b]artwork.rar[/b]

say i download both artwork.rar's how will i be able to tell what it belongs to ?
That is unfortunately an issue that I've considered and I have no good solution for it. Regardless how I change or do it there will be drawbacks. I could suffix the artwork file with the release name but then it will increase the whole folder+filename length, and make it difficult for members to read. I could separate all the files into separate folders (/artwork etc) but then it will be hell to manage, rename etc as I have to do it in multiple places. It will also make it more difficult for true collectors to see what we have and what we miss. I could of course keep it all as a single rar today, but then the files will become huge and not everyone sits on 10Mbit+ connections.

So it's a loss either way. And this way I can automate the database as well by having it scan the folders and see if we have artwork, docs etc. But I am open to suggestions, it just need to simplify my administration (i.e no renaming in multiple places but ONE) as well as making it simple for members to get a good overview of what's available.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:18 pm 
FTP Access

mrpijey wrote:
dans34 wrote:
Code:
├───[b]artwork.rar [/b]           

Code:
├───[b]artwork.rar[/b]

That is unfortunately an issue that I've considered and I have no good solution for it. Regardless how I change or do it there will be drawbacks. I could suffix the artwork file with the release name but then it will increase the whole folder+filename length, and make it difficult for members to read. I could separate all the files into separate folders (/artwork etc) but then it will be hell to manage, rename etc as I have to do it in multiple places. It will also make it more difficult for true collectors to see what we have and what we miss. I could of course keep it all as a single rar today, but then the files will become huge and not everyone sits on 10Mbit+ connections.

So it's a loss either way. And this way I can automate the database as well by having it scan the folders and see if we have artwork, docs etc. But I am open to suggestions, it just need to simplify my administration (i.e no renaming in multiple places but ONE) as well as making it simple for members to get a good overview of what's available.

Although BA's repository is an FTP server, users would benefit by treating it like a revision control system whereby local copies are stored in the same directory structure.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
dans34 wrote:

By simply downloading each file in the appropriate directory. FileZilla makes it easy to do so.
voidp wrote:
Although BA's repository is an FTP server, users would benefit by treating it like a revision control system whereby local copies are stored in the same directory structure.

Indeed.

I really like these changes, they constitute a significant effort in the implementation of the preservation vision of the site.
Keep up the good work!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:58 pm 
Donator

mrpijey wrote:

Well, maybe after the name of the file add some acronym, like microsoft-w95-3.5i for Windows 95 3.5" floppy edition, or, in the case of those packages, artwork_claris-cw4.0-1995-3.5i-sw.rar. We can't apply that to Some Other Package as there isn't vendor name.

Basically, <filename>_<vendor>-<product name's acronym and version>-<other details of the release>.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:18 pm 
Administrator

Well, problem with this is that it would cause the database population script to not work then. The whole purpose of this FTP remake was to not only make it easier for members to get the parts they want, but also use it for automating the database info population. When a new release is added the script would scan through the folder, see what parts are there, size etc and add it to the DB. Having this unique filename system you mention would also create a second issue, I would need to come up with a unique name for each of these. As we may have 10-15-20 different editions of Windows 95 they had to be different names for each. That alone would make it hard to keep track of and defeats the whole purpose.

I do want to find a good solution to this, but regardless how it's done there's always some major disadvantage.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Pencil and paper
For copy protected or non-standard format vintage software, Would "media_floppy_525.rar" be just for raw disk image files, or would that also include extracted files/ImageDisk/Teledisk/CopyIIPC+Snatchit images? Or would those fall in to "other"?

Also, if there is a known unprotect, would that go in to patches, or release_info?

In some cases it is a useful time saver to also archive raw disk images with unprotects already applied. Might that go in floppy, patches, other, or do you exclude those?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:33 am 
Administrator

No, it would only include the raw images, nothing else. And naturally we still won't provide any cracks, serials etc to any of the abandonware, nor any patched images to circumvent such protections, serials for betas would still go with the main ISO/floppy set. Serials would also be entered in a special info field so it goes into the database.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
mrpijey wrote:
Well, problem with this is that it would cause the database population script to not work then. The whole purpose of this FTP remake was to not only make it easier for members to get the parts they want, but also use it for automating the database info population...

if you need help writing Regexes to cut out the relevant parts (artwork-*) I might be able to help ;)
Although I also prefer the generic "artwork.zip" filename structure... But it's definitely not impossible to import (or even auto-correct) filenames that are not "fixed"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:31 pm 
Administrator

Well, the regexes are not the issue really, that's the easy part. The difficult part is to decide on a format that works well for everyone.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS-DOS & Win 3.x
What if we have two programs of the same name and version but for different operating system?

dans34 wrote:
Code:
├───[b]artwork.rar [/b]

Code:
├───[b]artwork.rar[/b]

A possible solution to both problems would be:

├A
├B
├C
│└Claris - ClarisWorks 4.0 (1995) W9x [Swedish] (3½)
│ ├───Claris ClarisWorks 4.0 (1995) W9x [Swedish] (3½) - artwork.rar
│ ├───Claris ClarisWorks 4.0 (1995) W9x [Swedish] (3½) - documentation.rar
│ ├───Claris ClarisWorks 4.0 (1995) W9x [Swedish] (3½) - kryoflux.rar
│ ├───Claris ClarisWorks 4.0 (1995) W9x [Swedish] (3½) - media_cd.rar
│ ├───Claris ClarisWorks 4.0 (1995) W9x [Swedish] (3½) - media_dvd.rar
│ ├───Claris ClarisWorks 4.0 (1995) W9x [Swedish] (3½) - media_floppy_35.rar
│ ├───Claris ClarisWorks 4.0 (1995) W9x [Swedish] (3½) - media_floppy_525.rar
│ ├───Claris ClarisWorks 4.0 (1995) W9x [Swedish] (3½) - media_other.rar
│ ├───Claris ClarisWorks 4.0 (1995) W9x [Swedish] (3½) - patches.rar
│ └───Claris ClarisWorks 4.0 (1995) W9x [Swedish] (3½) - release_info.txt
├.
├.
├F
│└FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) DOS [English] (3½)
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) DOS [English] (3½) - artwork.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) DOS [English] (3½) - documentation.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) DOS [English] (3½) - kryoflux.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) DOS [English] (3½) - media_cd.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) DOS [English] (3½) - media_dvd.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) DOS [English] (3½) - media_floppy_35.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) DOS [English] (3½) - media_floppy_525.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) DOS [English] (3½) - media_other.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) DOS [English] (3½) - patches.rar
│ └───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) DOS [English] (3½) - release_info.txt
│└FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) W3x [English] (3½)
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) W3x [English] (3½) - artwork.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) W3x [English] (3½) - documentation.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) W3x [English] (3½) - kryoflux.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) W3x [English] (3½) - media_cd.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) W3x [English] (3½) - media_dvd.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) W3x [English] (3½) - media_floppy_35.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) W3x [English] (3½) - media_floppy_525.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) W3x [English] (3½) - media_other.rar
│ ├───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) W3x [English] (3½) - patches.rar
│ └───FRISK Software International - FPROT 2.28 (1997) W3x [English] (3½) - release_info.txt├.
├.
└Z
Or without folders for each program, only folders by alphabet.

Could also migrate to a better compression with the new Winrar 5, which has better compression ratios than its predecessor.

I'm looking for PC abandonware software, applications, OS, CAD, word processing, spreadsheets, programming, educational software, databases, sound or graphics editors, file managers, etc. If you have some old software or collection please share it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:19 pm 
Administrator

Yes, this was one idea, but it will generate extremely long filenames. NTFS has its limitations and this solution will create problems for users that download the files, and they won't be able to download some files with long names. And sorting by alphabet is not a good idea since we won't be able to differentiate between what system it belongs to, if it's abandonware or beta, etc etc. That is why we have the folder structure today. Without it it would not only generate 3-4x more files (making for extremely large folders) but make it slower for everyone to list the folders and find the files they want.

Code:
"x:\BetaArchive\(Abandonware) Operating Systems\PC\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000]\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000] - Media.rar"

This is the kind of file paths you would get, which is not very good. And it will be hell to keep track of from my end as I have to do multiple renames every time I rename a single file.

And we don't use any compression at all (because of deduplication), and I already use WinRAR 5.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:51 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS-DOS & Win 3.x
Then:

"x:\BetaArchive\(Abandon) OS\PC\M\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000] - Media.rar"
"x:\BetaArchive\(Abandon) OS\PC\M\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000] - Artwork.rar"
"x:\BetaArchive\(Abandon) OS\PC\M\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000] - CD.rar"

And when I have two programs of the same name and version but for different operating system?

"x:\BetaArchive\(Abandon) App\PC\M\Microsoft Office 4.2 (4.20.00) (199x-xx-xx) DOS [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000] - CD.rar"
"x:\BetaArchive\(Abandon) App\PC\M\Microsoft Office 4.2 (4.20.00) (199x-xx-xx) W31 [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000] - CD.rar"

I'm looking for PC abandonware software, applications, OS, CAD, word processing, spreadsheets, programming, educational software, databases, sound or graphics editors, file managers, etc. If you have some old software or collection please share it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:09 pm 
FTP Access

abandonware wrote:
Then:

"x:\BetaArchive\(Abandon) OS\PC\M\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000] - Media.rar"
"x:\BetaArchive\(Abandon) OS\PC\M\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000] - Artwork.rar"
"x:\BetaArchive\(Abandon) OS\PC\M\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000] - CD.rar"

And when I have two programs of the same name and version but for different operating system?

"x:\BetaArchive\(Abandon) App\PC\M\Microsoft Office 4.2 (4.20.00) (199x-xx-xx) DOS [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000] - CD.rar"
"x:\BetaArchive\(Abandon) App\PC\M\Microsoft Office 4.2 (4.20.00) (199x-xx-xx) W31 [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000] - CD.rar"

Not a very bad idea , but titles like 'W31' could become confusing later on.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS-DOS & Win 3.x
Sorry :$ I wanted to put W3X for Windows 3.0, 3.10 and 3.11 and W9x for Windows 95, 98, Millenium Edition

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:10 pm 
Donator

In my opinion current division of FTP and its files is doing pretty good. But if there's a must to change I propose this idea:

Since the issue is in splitting artwork, documentations from binaries, the binaries could be kept in their current folder, and all artworks to have filename of their corresponding binary file and all placed in one single directory (say \PC\Artworks), so it could go like that:
(Beta) Operating Systems\PC\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000].rar
(Beta) Operating Systems\PC\Microsoft Windows 95 ('Chicago') (4.00.122).rar

(Beta) Operating Systems\PC\Artwork\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000].rar
(Beta) Operating Systems\PC\Artwork\Microsoft Windows 95 ('Chicago') (4.00.122).rar

(Beta) Operating Systems\PC\Documentations\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000].rar
(Beta) Operating Systems\PC\Documentations\Microsoft Windows 95 ('Chicago') (4.00.122).rar

P.S. This is just an example, I know there's no artwork/documentations for Chicago 122.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
Ahmed Jebara wrote:
In my opinion current division of FTP and its files is doing pretty good. But if there's a must to change I propose this idea:

Since the issue is in splitting artwork, documentations from binaries, the binaries could be kept in their current folder, and all artworks to have filename of their corresponding binary file and all placed in one single directory (say \PC\Artworks), so it could go like that:
(Beta) Operating Systems\PC\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000].rar
(Beta) Operating Systems\PC\Microsoft Windows 95 ('Chicago') (4.00.122).rar

(Beta) Operating Systems\PC\Artwork\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000].rar
(Beta) Operating Systems\PC\Artwork\Microsoft Windows 95 ('Chicago') (4.00.122).rar

(Beta) Operating Systems\PC\Documentations\Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000].rar
(Beta) Operating Systems\PC\Documentations\Microsoft Windows 95 ('Chicago') (4.00.122).rar

P.S. This is just an example, I know there's no artwork/documentations for Chicago 122.

this sounds like a better idea , even if it means users will have to search alittle more for the documentations

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:59 pm 
Donator

mrpijey wrote:
Well, problem with this is that it would cause the database population script to not work then. The whole purpose of this FTP remake was to not only make it easier for members to get the parts they want, but also use it for automating the database info population. When a new release is added the script would scan through the folder, see what parts are there, size etc and add it to the DB. Having this unique filename system you mention would also create a second issue, I would need to come up with a unique name for each of these. As we may have 10-15-20 different editions of Windows 95 they had to be different names for each. That alone would make it hard to keep track of and defeats the whole purpose.

I do want to find a good solution to this, but regardless how it's done there's always some major disadvantage.

Then artwork_databaseid.rar.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upcoming changes to the FTP and some ideas...        Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:04 am 
Administrator

ExplicitNuM5, please don't hijack the thread. I've warned you before about this and I will not do it again. This thread is not about the removal of any releases, but of the future layout. Keep to that topic or start a new one in the appropriate forum section if you want to discuss something else.

Now...

Good ideas, but it won't change the length much, remember, the example I gave wasn't the longest one. And as soon as it breaks I will have to redo it all again. Also remember that by adding artwork, media etc to the same folder for each will create TONS of files. So instead of 400 files in a folder we could have over 2000 files, a mess if you ask me. The FTP has to be easy to browse as well. I did think of some other short names, for example

Quote:
(A)-OS-PC-Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 (2.11.00) (1984-11-09) [English] [Tandy OEM] (5¼) [Tandy 1000] - Media.rar

But it will create issues with the other platforms. I mean, how do you easily shorten Microsoft Xbox or Sony Playstation so everyone understands? Remember for example that PSX, PS1 and PSONE are not the same. So in time the short names will still be long and until then it will only confuse members.

Also by having it in separate folders it will increase my workload. If I rename one release I have to manually find and lookup the other associated files in other folders and rename them accordingly. This will increase point of failures and cause "disconnections" between the main release and its additional files if one is renamed badly or one is missed. This is the exact thing I want to avoid. As I said before, whatever solution we use something vital will be lost, but the whole point of this is to make it simpler for me to administrate and at the same time automate database population by keeping things together. And for those that are interested in preservation a quick look of all the main files and its additional resources is vital. And that won't work if everything is in separate folders. So we need to keep things together somehow.

Top  Profile  WWW