Australia has a new Prime Minister

New news and release discussion.
happy dude
Donator

Australia has a new Prime Minister

Post by happy dude »

It said interesting news, so I can post it
Basically the Liberals got kicked out and Labor is in, and Kevin Rudd is our new prime minister.
He brings alot of... promises... including a minimum of 12mbps internet to 98% of Australian homes...
Let's hope he keeps those promises

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

Link dude, link.
And quote the story:
PM Howard concedes Australia poll
BBC News wrote:Australian Prime Minister John Howard has admitted defeat in the country's general election, and looks set to lose his parliamentary seat.

Mr Howard said he had telephoned Labor leader Kevin Rudd "to congratulate him on an emphatic victory".

Mr Rudd said the country had "looked to the future" and he pledged to be a prime minister "for all Australians".

With 70% of votes counted, Labor were on course to win the 76 seats needed to form a government.

More than 20 constituencies from a total of 150 are still to produce a result, but Labor already has 72 seats compared with 48 for Mr Howard's Liberal-National coalition.
That took me all of a minute to do.

Edit: This is pretty interesting news for australian posters, IIRC Australia has a history of terrible internet service.
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Forgot the link
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=123901
Sydney (dpa) - In a final desperate pitch to floating voters tempted to go with Labor, Prime Minister John Howard likened its leader Kevin Rudd to an adorable puppy in a pet shop window that was bought on a whim but which stayed for life.

"It's not like the Christmas present you didn't want and you can take it back at the Boxing Day sale," Howard warned. "There's always a risk in changing government and Australia won't be the same."

zchri9
Donator

Post by zchri9 »

Howard did a good enough job hopefully Rudd doesnt [censored] up Australia

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

zchri9 wrote:Howard did a good enough job hopefully Rudd doesnt [censored] up Australia
I'm thinking exactly the same thing... hopefully Rudd can keep the country's economy strong and not fizizzle up everything.

On a side note, does anyone else find it amusing that Rudd keeps using a heap of repetitive catch phrases, like "working families", "economic conservative", and "without throwing the fair go *thumb gesture* out the back door"?
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

merty
FTP Access

Post by merty »

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:On a side note, does anyone else find it amusing that Rudd keeps using a heap of repetitive catch phrases, like "working families", "economic conservative", and "without throwing the fair go *thumb gesture* out the back door"?
You forgot "In due season" Program
You also can't forget Peter Garrett and his catch phrase "A short and jocular conversation"
Although that is probably over used by the Chaser.

zchri9
Donator

Post by zchri9 »

wow i didnt know so many australians were on BA

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:fizizzle
That's a cool word. I might use it in my daily vocabulary.

Also, I'm not sure if Rudd got in because he was popular or because people were getting sick of Howard and wanted a change.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Well we all knew Howard was retiring and was going to hand over to Peter Costello but he doesn't want to lead the liberals...

KenOath

Post by KenOath »

mdogg wrote:Also, I'm not sure if Rudd got in because he was popular or because people were getting sick of Howard and wanted a change.
I'm guessing he got in because most people don't trust Costello...
Howard was soon to retire & hand it over to Costello as you know...
Plus the workplace agreements were a little less fair to the average
working class citizen...

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

@mdogg; the word is fizzle as in fizzle out ( fade away)

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

I know that but he said fizizzle. Not fizzle. I just thought it sounded cool with the extra "iz" in it

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

mdogg wrote:I know that but he said fizizzle. Not fizzle. I just thought it sounded cool with the extra "iz" in it
Heh, I only said fizizzle because I knew that f*ck would be censored
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
mdogg wrote:I know that but he said fizizzle. Not fizzle. I just thought it sounded cool with the extra "iz" in it
Heh, I only said fizizzle because I knew that f*ck would be censored
Ive read this thread about 5 times now and I dont get what you mean in your last comment, lol.

Also, you have bypassed the swear filter, don't do it. The swear filter will do it for you. That applies to everyone who puts their own *'s into filtered words.