BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 66d, 10h, 32m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5391MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:31 pm 
Donator

James wrote:
It's not a theme, get that through your head.

No, it's a different image from the one used in Windows 8, but it's function is the same as it was before; to bring up the start screen when clicked. So no, it's not a 'theme', it's an image similar to the one used in previous versions of Windows to display the old start menu. Big deal.

Why quibble over semantics, Jesus Christ :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
hounsell wrote:
WinPC wrote:
The only problem with that is that almost certainly, the same code used to display the original Start tip in Windows 8 is being used to display the so-called "Start button" in Windows 8.1.

Congrats on proving you are not a developer.

We'll not see for certain til we get a build with these changes, but it simply could not work like that. I'm not entirely convinced by the idea they'll simply bring back the legacy code either. It was absurdly inefficient - by Windows 7, it was actually drawing the entire button twice. Just set the Start Button to a semi-transparent image and see for yourself as you have a smaller, broken start button in the background drawn over by one that works.

Of course, technically speaking, the start button didn't exist in Vista and 7. There was a Start Window instead.
I never said that I knew otherwise for sure, so I'm not sure how you missed that...
WinPC wrote:
I mean, it's possible that they changed the code to make it appear visible at all times, but it still wouldn't be the old code from Windows 7 at all (at least not as far as I know).
However, I do agree that the old code obviously wouldn't be returning, and for the reasons that you mentioned above.
Boris Kuit wrote:
Why quibble over semantics, Jesus Christ :?
The problem here is that people have a tendency to judge everything based on appearance, rather than the way that it actually works. And this includes even people who I generally have nothing against.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MAC OSX
WIndows 8.1 wont change the fact, that windows 8 is a beautiful OS for tablets but not for industrial purposes. The geastures make every step harder and longer. The only thing the new Startbutton does, that it opens the Metro UI. Really Really not new. No difference between clicking in the left bottom corner or on an button.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista
alic3x wrote:
No difference between clicking in the left bottom corner or on an button.

Surely you have never remoted into a PC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:17 am 

Favourite OS
Well the thing is getting this button back doesn't change anything since desktop users need the old start menu back; Metro UI makes sense to touch screens or tablets but for old school computing machines it fails! I don't know why Microsoft is playing dumb; i mean how much does it have to do to release desktop versions of win 8?? nothing! and it will be win, win for Microsoft and users :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MAC OSX
kinokijuf wrote:
alic3x wrote:
No difference between clicking in the left bottom corner or on an button.

Surely you have never remoted into a PC.

Sure i have. Its the same case at windows server 2012. But if i use that systems i use the windows keys to enter the metro screen. If u are using vmware or an windows RDP you use the most (nearly the most) the normal desktop. The metro UI is unimportant. I wish they remove that geature for the charm menu or find an alternative button for that like the "go to dektop" at the end of the taskbar. Cause if you are rometly on a server/VM/Win8 you have the problem that the mouse fly out of the window without opening the charm menue.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista
Surely you have never tried to use both the local and the remote system simultaneously. Trust me, clicking that tiny umpteen-px bar is hard.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MAC OSX
kinokijuf wrote:
Surely you have never tried to use both the local and the remote system simultaneously. Trust me, clicking that tiny umpteen-px bar is hard.

Uhmm trust me i have ;) its my job... thats why i use the normal windows key(read post above).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
I want to say this: There was a option in 95 and early Memphis, it could install 3.x interface or modern interface. This option should be included for Start and Metro designs.

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
cantasan99 wrote:
I want to say this: There was a option in 95 and early Memphis, it could install 3.x interface or modern interface. This option should be included for Start and Metro designs.
Yet everyone seems to completely ignore the fact that all it really did was to add the Program Manager to the Startup menu, or something similar. The Windows Explorer desktop was still the actual shell, with the Program Manager simply being loaded as a mere application. And the Control Panel was still only available from the Windows Explorer (running it from Program Manager in this setup would just open the Control Panel folder window and nothing more).

Also, in my opinion anyway, you can't really judge Windows 8's level of backward compatibility based on a decision that was made in a 1990s operating system. A better comparison would be to judge such decisions in Windows 8 based on the backward compatibility decisions made in newer operating systems such as the ability to switch to the old Start Menu in Windows XP or Windows Vista, or even the ability to switch to the "Classic" theme in Windows 7. There are, I'm sure, a lot more differences between Microsoft's development process (possibly even their product management and design teams) for the newer operating systems and what was done for Windows 95 than there is between what they did starting with Windows XP (at the earliest) and what was being done with Windows 8.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:39 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 - 3.1.319
cantasan99 wrote:

Taskbar was still there, but Windows 3.1 Interface was up to Windows 98 Beta 2.1/3 (if I remember correctly).
Memphis was built on Windows 95, and Windows 95 was built on Windows 3.1x (Chicago Builds were built on Windows 3.1x too)
But it'll still have taskbar if you choose Windows 3.1 interface, no matter.

Last edited by BettaFish1902 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:33 pm 
Donator

BettaFish1902 wrote:
Windows 95 was built on Windows 3.1x (Chicago Builds were built on Windows 3.1x too)

Windows 95 = Chicago ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 - 3.1.319
AlphaBeta wrote:
Windows 95 = Chicago ;)

Chicago was actually codename for Windows 95.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_95
;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:14 pm 
Donator

BettaFish1902 wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:
Windows 95 = Chicago ;)

Chicago was actually codename for Windows 95.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_95
;)

Oh really? That's why I said "Windows 95 = Chicago"... 8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 - 3.1.319
AlphaBeta wrote:
Oh really? That's why I said "Windows 95 = Chicago"... 8-)

But, otherwise, it's still same. ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
BettaFish1902 wrote:
But, otherwise, it's still same. ;)

The same thing the 3rd time... Really?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
Long story short: Users should choose interface what do they want.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:30 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
cantasan99 wrote:
Long story short: Users should choose interface what do they want.
Quick solutions even quicker: 3rd party apps

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
Microsoft has VERY clever programmers. I think this programmers can do the trick.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
8-) God... when you have already software that functions 100% the same you want, why do you demand it from another company, *sigh* your logic

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
...And ReactOS For All
I said it for avoiding from any bad situations.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn Build 4074
alic3x wrote:
WIndows 8.1 wont change the fact, that windows 8 is a beautiful OS for tablets but not for industrial purposes. The geastures make every step harder and longer. The only thing the new Startbutton does, that it opens the Metro UI. Really Really not new. No difference between clicking in the left bottom corner or on an button.

I agree with you completely. Windows 8 is amazing for tablets, but not your average desktop computer. People say that a major disappointment with windows 8 is a lack of a start button, but I believe the major issue is that it is an OS aimed at the mobile, not desktop, community. A start button won't change the fact that the OS is uncomfortable to navigate with a keyboard and mouse in general. Windows 8 would be a greater success if there were more tablets that could implement it and still be cost-effective (Unlike the Surface tablet, for $800 I could build a great desktop.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
vsod99 wrote:
A start button won't change the fact that the OS is uncomfortable to navigate with a keyboard and mouse in general.

Mouse, whatever, but you clearly haven't used the OS if you think keyboard navigation is more difficult.

Any keyboard sequence present in Windows 7 is present in Windows 8. Plus plenty of new ones too.

One of the most common ways more experienced users opened an app in Win7 was to hit the windows key and start typing, then use arrow keys to select the search result if necessary, and hit enter. This works exactly the same in Windows 8. This is true for all other keyboard sequences that come to mind. I challenge you to find one keyboard sequence in Windows 7 that doesn't work in Windows 8.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn Build 4074
hounsell wrote:
vsod99 wrote:
A start button won't change the fact that the OS is uncomfortable to navigate with a keyboard and mouse in general.

Mouse, whatever, but you clearly haven't used the OS if you think keyboard navigation is more difficult.

Any keyboard sequence present in Windows 7 is present in Windows 8. Plus plenty of new ones too.

One of the most common ways more experienced users opened an app in Win7 was to hit the windows key and start typing, then use arrow keys to select the search result if necessary, and hit enter. This works exactly the same in Windows 8. This is true for all other keyboard sequences that come to mind. I challenge you to find one keyboard sequence in Windows 7 that doesn't work in Windows 8.

I actually have used the OS, had it on my Dell Inspiron 6400 for a few months, and I don't think the keyboard navigation is more difficult, just not very comfortable. I'm not used to this huge thing popping up on my screen when I want to search for something I guess.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 Pro
vsod99 wrote:
I'm not used to this huge thing popping up on my screen when I want to search for something I guess.

I thought it was just a side bar on the right?

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next