BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 62d, 14h, 3m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 5144MB of 12211MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Quote:

Above is a link to TechnoBuffalo and their latest post about Windows 8.1, after reading it, what do you think?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Serenity
This is not a start button wich we know from 7, XP, or any earlier os'es. It's just switch to metro ui.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Venetik wrote:
This is not a start button wich we know from 7, XP, or any earlier os'es. It's just switch to metro ui.

Unfortunately, that is so, shame really since I would have liked a menu.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7981
mattpegler wrote:
Venetik wrote:

Unfortunately, that is so, shame really since I would have liked a menu.

can you please tell me what is so different about the two?
they both do the things you would do in windows xp vista and 7
and the start screen is easier to use than having to go through folders
Its pretty easy to learn how to navigate the metro ui, you people just dont wanna know how to learn

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 ultimate SP1
Why not link the original sources: http://www.zdnet.com/heres-how-the-new- ... 000016042/
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/blue- ... ce-changes
or the topic that was started earlier: viewtopic.php?t=28389
Venetik wrote:

This is exactly the start button we all know, only the start menu changed! People talk about the start button and menu as if they were the same thing, they wanted the start button back, MS listened and gave you the start button back(even tough people were actually referring to the entire start menu most of the time)!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
I am sorry, everyone, I really am, but I do not think that these screenshots are authentic. And before I go on, I want to make it very clear that I am NOT, by the way, accusing Mary Jo Foley or Paul Thurrott of faking builds at all - what I think is that someone else sent them the screenshots, and that they thought that they were real. The same person who created them probably created them in Paul's name - either that, or they sent them a .VHD of a fake build.

First, the question is this: Why would Microsoft take a step backward? It makes absolutely no sense to me at all as to why they would do this.

Second, is it really that difficult to simply download Start8 and create those screenshots from there? I could have just as easily done that myself, without any trouble at all.

Third, this change would be completely pointless, since if it just returns the user to the Start screen, then it's the same button, period. It would only be "different" in appearance and nothing more.

Finally, if this mythical "return of the Start button" is real, then why have we not seen it in the latest build known to have been compiled, let alone anything in our collection? There may have been a couple of supposedly earlier builds with the visible Start button, but why don't any screenshots of the later builds show it (unless they just showed only part of the screenshot and I just forgot)?

There are so many unconfirmed ideas about Windows 8.1 and Windows 9 going around the Internet that it can be really hard to tell fact from fiction. And really, the fact that one screenshot has Paul's name is no proof at all that it's real - what I think is that either the faker created these screenshots in his name, or that they were sent a .VHD of a fake build, and that in either case, they thought that it was real.

So on that basis, I'm afraid that these screenshots are not real. I'm not the biggest Windows 8.1 expert in the world, but I would say that those screenshots are definitely fake.

EDIT: Actually, there was a mistake about it, and the screenshots are indeed real. Sorry for any confusion that it may have caused.

Last edited by WinPC on Fri May 31, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:01 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
There is no point arguing. All we have to do is to wait until build 9403 leaks out and see if it is true.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Confirmed by Microsoft, many of this changes.
http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/blog ... s-8-1.aspx

Except the Start Button, atm.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Serenity
Quote:
Venetik wrote:

This is exactly the start button we all know, only the start menu changed! People talk about the start button and menu as if they were the same thing, they wanted the start button back, MS listened and gave you the start button back(even tough people were actually referring to the entire start menu most of the time)!

About MetroUI: I don't see difference than this.

Similar? It's a start page on Whistler. It's completely different than the start menu of final XP, but it has the same functionality.

Last edited by Venetik on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
rafaelgs wrote:

Sorry, I already saw it yesterday, but the site was down, so I wasn't able to post it. But anyway, I hope that no one was confused by my earlier post, since we now have verifiable evidence that the screenshots are real.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WinPC wrote:
rafaelgs wrote:

Sorry, I already saw it yesterday, but the site was down, so I wasn't able to post it. But anyway, I hope that no one was confused by my earlier post, since we now have verifiable evidence that the screenshots are real.

No problem :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:56 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 95 OSR2
I'm not one of the complainers about Win8 not having a start button/menu and I actually like it just fine the way it is. However, this seems like little short of a calculated attempt to enrage as many Windows users as possible. It's almost like MS is sticking out their tongue and saying "nyah nyah nyah -- you want the start menu back? OK, here you go!" and then yanking out the football from underfoot like Lucy torturing Charlie Brown. Do they seriously not realize that this is going to greatly worsen the existing public irritation with the product?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
xmsxmsxm wrote:
I'm not one of the complainers about Win8 not having a start button/menu and I actually like it just fine the way it is. However, this seems like little short of a calculated attempt to enrage as many Windows users as possible. It's almost like MS is sticking out their tongue and saying "nyah nyah nyah -- you want the start menu back? OK, here you go!" and then yanking out the football from underfoot like Lucy torturing Charlie Brown. Do they seriously not realize that this is going to greatly worsen the existing public irritation with the product?
It's only a new appearance for the Start tip, and not a different function in any sense.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian Linux 6.0.7
And here I was hoping that they would bring back a Windows 7 style start menu to appeal to business users, that said having tried Windows 8 out a bit I can say that this would have made it slightly more bearable to use stock. Though I think 3rd party start menu's will still remain popular even in Windows 8.1.

Completely forgot about Whistlers start screen as Venetik pointed out, even that is much more useable than the metro start screen in my opinion, with the main feature being a simple "Turn off Computer" link.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:11 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 95 OSR2
WinPC wrote:
xmsxmsxm wrote:
It's only a new appearance for the Start tip, and not a different function in any sense.

Right! That's the point. I'm fine without a start menu, but a lot of people have been clamoring for one, and are probably hoping/assuming that Win8.1 will indulge them. They'll see what looks like a start button, will expect it to give them a start menu, and will be in for a rude awakening upon discovering that it's just a new appearance for the Start tip, as you correctly point out. I envision a lot of fists banging on desks and expletives being shouted right about then. :)

This will not end well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Serenity
I like Windows 8, but... I thought the MetroUI and normal desktop would be dependent one from second.

Also like in games case - you must pay for (example) angry birds on phone, on xbox, on pc - so you must spend 3x more money on one game. It shouldn't be that you pay once, and you get game for all devices?

If Microsoft want to make ecosystem, why make 3 independent systems, only connected with one account? And not to mention that - the sync tools are useless.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 5.1
I think there's a bit of confusion between the various meanings of "Start" in Windows. There's the Start screen, introduced in Windows 8 and replacing the Start menu, seen in all Windows versions until then and dating back to before Windows NT 4.0. Then there's the Start button, which simply opens up the Start menu or screen as the case may be.

Windows 8 replaced the Start menu with the Start screen and eliminated the Start button. I hate both changes, and while the restoration of the Start button is good, I don't think they're changing the Start screen--which is far worse. And I agree with the above point that Microsoft is really just pulling a fast one on those of us who don't appreciate Windows 8's "new features!".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Whistler wrote:
I think there's a bit of confusion between the various meanings of "Start" in Windows. There's the Start screen, introduced in Windows 8 and replacing the Start menu, seen in all Windows versions until then and dating back to before Windows NT 4.0. Then there's the Start button, which simply opens up the Start menu or screen as the case may be.

Windows 8 replaced the Start menu with the Start screen and eliminated the Start button. I hate both changes, and while the restoration of the Start button is good, I don't think they're changing the Start screen--which is far worse. And I agree with the above point that Microsoft is really just pulling a fast one on those of us who don't appreciate Windows 8's "new features!".
The so-called "return" of the Start button is really only a redesign of the Start tip, that's all. And even in the original version of Windows 8, when you move your mouse over to the lower left corner of the screen, the Start tip appears anyway, and clicking it results in the Start screen, so they never even really removed the Start button at that, it's just hidden.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Windows 8.1's Start Button in action (Video)        Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Quote:
The Start Button is making a triumphant return in Windows 8.1. That much we knew. What we weren’t 100% sure about was how it would work – would we also be seeing the return of the Start Menu, or would it simply act as a link to Windows 8′s Start Screen? Well, today we conclusively have an answer to that very question – and many old fashioned Windows “purists” won’t be happy. According to a newly uploaded video of a confirmed genuine Windows 8.1 pre-release build that Microsoft showed off at Computex 2013, the Windows 8.1 Start Button will merely act as a straightforward link to the Start Screen, essentially making it no different aside from visibility from Windows 8′s “Start tip”. Hovering over the Start Button, which is again shaped as the Windows flag, transforms the button into the logo with whatever Start Screen color the user has set in Personalization. Clicking the button triggers a cool new “swooping” animation that brings Windows 8.1′s redesigned Start Screen to the forefront in what I can only say is a very appealing manner.

Microsoft will be formally unveiling Windows 8.1 to the world for the first time at BUILD 2013 on June 26th. That very day Microsoft will be launching the Windows 8.1 Public Preview build, available totally free of charge. Microsoft is planning on releasing Windows 8.1 as a free update to Windows 8 in the for the holidays later this year and will be delivering it via the Windows Store.

Checkout the video embedded below for a full demonstration of Windows 8.1′s Start Button.

[youtube2]http://youtu.be/YTR8_-UVmHc[/youtube2]

Source

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1's Start Button in action (Video)        Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Chicago builds 58s - 189
So there will be a "Start Button" in Windows 8.1, cool I guess.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:18 am 
Administrator

Topics merged. We don't need to start a new thread every time someone mentions a new feature of Windows 8.1. Especially not when we already have threads covering the same topics...

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:22 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
mrpijey wrote:
Topics merged. We don't need to start a new thread every time someone mentions a new feature of Windows 8.1. Especially not when we already have threads covering the same topics...

Sorry about that, figured that a new news story was worthy of a new topic. Shall keep all talk of the Start Menu delegated to this topic for now on. :-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1's Start Button in action (Video)        Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Derf wrote:
Quote:
The Start Button is making a triumphant return in Windows 8.1. That much we knew. What we weren’t 100% sure about was how it would work – would we also be seeing the return of the Start Menu, or would it simply act as a link to Windows 8′s Start Screen? Well, today we conclusively have an answer to that very question – and many old fashioned Windows “purists” won’t be happy. According to a newly uploaded video of a confirmed genuine Windows 8.1 pre-release build that Microsoft showed off at Computex 2013, the Windows 8.1 Start Button will merely act as a straightforward link to the Start Screen, essentially making it no different aside from visibility from Windows 8′s “Start tip”. Hovering over the Start Button, which is again shaped as the Windows flag, transforms the button into the logo with whatever Start Screen color the user has set in Personalization. Clicking the button triggers a cool new “swooping” animation that brings Windows 8.1′s redesigned Start Screen to the forefront in what I can only say is a very appealing manner.
The old Start button is NOT returning in Windows 8.1. What has changed about the Start tip is that they changed its appearance, but they are not going back to an old way. All it does is this: It looks different. But it's still every bit as much the same as it was in Windows 8, functionality-wise.

Yes, there are people who think that Microsoft is going back to an old way, but this is not the case at all. A theme redesign does not change any of the functions in an operating system, period. And in this case, the "theme redesign" happened to be for something so small anyway that it doesn't even really matter much at all.

So there is no "triumphant return", really. All it is, really, is an update to the taskbar's appearance, at most, and nothing beyond that.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:45 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Nobody said the old Start button was reappearing. Don't know what your rant was for.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Start Button Appears in Latest Windows 8.1 Build.        Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Derf wrote:
Nobody said the old Start button was reappearing. Don't know what your rant was for.
Actually, Derf, as much as I hate to say it, they actually did say that:
Quote:
The Start Button is making a triumphant return in Windows 8.1. That much we knew.
Nothing against you at all, but that was what the article said.

Top  Profile  WWW