BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 1h, 12m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5396MB of 11583MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: "Opera" 15 snapshot released        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:30 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 5.0 1729
Today Opera ASA released the new version of Opera. Well if it can be called Opera, I think it's more like Chromium with Opera branding.

Link: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/op ... 0-released

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: "Opera" 15 snapshot released        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP2 5.1.2600
Opera could now be called Chropera....
Hope that the people at Opera make the Presto engine open source as Netscape did 13 years ago.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Opera" 15 snapshot released        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:25 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
UZI180
Opera Mobile 14 for Android 2.3 alo uses Webkit instead of Presto.

Some users here may know OmniWeb a free trial shareware browser on NextStep that migrated to Openstep, Yellow Box for Windows, Rhapsody and OS X.
The company did do consulting mainly and development was much more expensive than OW sales
earned money so they added new featured for their donators and opensourced their OmniFramework.
At some point they switched to WebCore and WebKit and development slowed down so they made it freeware.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Opera" 15 snapshot released        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:30 pm 
Donator

I don't like it at all, chromium/chrome ripoff.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Opera" 15 snapshot released        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:01 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
Wheatley wrote:

It's not a ripoff - Since chromium is open source, the engine and ui are free to develop into whatever Opera wants it to be. This next-gen version of Opera will include all the functionality of previous versions, while adjusting chromium to their liking (as in: mail client, torrent support, screwy addon support).

In an ideal world, though, they should really just take Chromium, add a few apps to it and bundle it as 'opera', along with their branding. Keeping their code tree in sync with the chromium tree will allow them to continue to provide a more advanced browsing experience, instead of having to pour money into their very own, ancient Presto engine.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: RE: "Opera" 15 snapshot released        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 5.0 1729
@jimmsta: M2 (Opera's mail client) is no longer integrated in the browser, is now a separate program.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: "Opera" 15 snapshot released        Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:32 pm 
Donator

jimmsta wrote:
Wheatley wrote:

It's not a ripoff - Since chromium is open source, the engine and ui are free to develop into whatever Opera wants it to be. This next-gen version of Opera will include all the functionality of previous versions, while adjusting chromium to their liking (as in: mail client, torrent support, screwy addon support).

In an ideal world, though, they should really just take Chromium, add a few apps to it and bundle it as 'opera', along with their branding. Keeping their code tree in sync with the chromium tree will allow them to continue to provide a more advanced browsing experience, instead of having to pour money into their very own, ancient Presto engine.

Yes, good points, open source or not, but it still looks too much like chrome in my opinion.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Opera" 15 snapshot released        Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
UZI180
Wheatley wrote:
Yes, good points, open source or not, but it still looks too much like chrome in my opinion.

it is like badge engineering on cars.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Opera" 15 snapshot released        Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
SerenityOS
let's wait for final release. But i doubt that it will change...

Offtopic Comment
anyone knows good alternative to Opera/FF/Chome and other shitload of browsers? And not net based one, or based on browsers...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: "Opera" 15 snapshot released        Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:30 am 
FTP Access

Seems very good. I like it.
I dont really care if it is a chromium/chrome ripoff, as long as it runs well and give me a good browsing experince I am happy.

Top  Profile