BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 51d, 11h, 53m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5652MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard released today        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:09 pm 
FTP Access

The next version of Mac OS X, 10.5 Leopard, was released today at 6pm (local time).

I even went down to the local Apple Store about 10 minutes before it opened for the launch and queued up to get the free OS X Leopard T-shirt given to the first 500 visitors to each store! :D No Leopard for me though, given that from what I've heard Apple have compiled the entire OS for AltiVec (G4+ processors) only, so that it is impossible to get it to run on any G3 systems even if the installation DVD is modified to remove the restrictions on what Macs it can be installed on (this will allow you to install it on any G4, including those below the official 867 MHz requirement, but not G3s) :(

Leopard screenshots

New features of Leopard and guided tour from Apple

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:42 pm 
FTP Access

I downloaded it already 2 days ago :)

but how to burn the .dmg on dvd ? I have no dubble layer :(

its 6,66 GB

and I hope there will be a AMD Patch soon!

markus :D :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:57 pm 
FTP Access

You'll need to delete the packages from the DMG that you don't need ie all the printer drivers, all the languages that you don't need (just keep the language that you will want to install OS X in), and possibly the Developer Tools as well, it will then come in under the limit for a standard DVD. I'm not sure whether the image will retain its bootability if you do this on a Windows system though (UltraIso for Windows can open and convert DMGs to ISOs though), you may be better off using Mac tools. If you only want this for installing on a "Hackintosh" you may be better off waiting for the pre-patched release, as the hackers will most likely strip out the bits that make it too large for a standard DVD. PS no warez links please, though I think discussion of burning discs, installing on non-Apple PCs etc is ok.

By the way, here's some photos from the launch at my local Apple Store:

Anyone seen the icon for a Windows PC that they've used in the new network browser when in Cover Flow mode? Apparently Apple think everyone in the PC world still uses old beige monitors and Windows 95!

Last edited by Vista Ultimate R2 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:03 pm 
FTP Access

hmm I can use TransMac for deleting the files ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:04 pm 
FTP Access

It should work if the DMG opens, but I can't be 100% sure on whether it will remain bootable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:07 pm 
FTP Access

ok tried , but when I want to delete all those DevTools it shows me a error , that I could not delete it ...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:26 pm 
FTP Access

whats the 800 MB file : Essentials ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:32 pm 
FTP Access

As it says: essential :P Essentials is on of the packages that you most certainly do need. The ones you can delete are the languages and printer drivers, which I think are somewhere like /System/Installation/Packages if it's similar to the Tiger DVD, and then I'm not sure whether the image will be small enough by the point, but if not then you'll need to get rid of the Developer Tools package as well. What is the error you get when trying to delete the packages?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:43 pm 
FTP Access

ok now I did :

expanded the .dmg to a .iso

and then it worked...

so I deleted printers and languages and developer tools ...now it works :) and its 4,3 GB ..

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
According to FedEx mine arrived at my home at 10:16 AM this morning. I'm looking forward to going home and playing with it when I get off of work in half an hour. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:48 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Anyone seen the icon for a Windows PC that they've used in the new network browser when in Cover Flow mode? Apparently Apple think everyone in the PC world still uses old beige monitors and Windows 95!

At least they got the blue screen part right :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:57 am 
FTP Access

@Vista Ultimate : nice pics you taken

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:14 am 
Donator

Was at my local dealer's yesterday (6:05pm)... Hundreds of people in there, so I opted not to queue in there as I hate that and ordered my copy via the web. Should arrive on Monday or so. Looking forward to playing with it on my MacBook.

FYI, it seems it has already been patched to run on AMD systems, so it does likely already run on other unblessed x86 systems.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
looks cool, but my good old G3 wont be having any fun with it...

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]