BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 59d, 14h, 7m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5063MB of 12235MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:24 am 
FTP Access

I don't think that Windows 8.1 will fail. But it won't be as successful as Windows 7 was when it was released. I think that Microsoft needs to clean up the OS a little. For example, why would I want a desktop UI on a tablet? It would be way better to just make the whole OS for tablet as such, using the tiles. A desktop UI on a tablet = hard to use. Tiles UI on a tablet = easy to use.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:52 am 

Windows 8 continues to be a fascinating experiment to me. I've been using Tablet PC's for a decade and will never go back to a touch-free laptop for many many reasons. Windows 8 to me is a visionary work anticipating a touch and tablet PC world. Personally, I believe it will come to pass. HOWEVER, when is the big question. I've also seen many visionary products fail, only to see the central idea reappear years or even decades later. For example, in the 1990's, I visited the "smart homes" of many major players, including Microsoft, Intel, Cisco, etc. Virtually all of the IDEAS I saw have now come to fruition, but most only after a string of failed products that did not get the consumer, business and technology balance right. As I said, fascinating.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:04 am 

Favourite OS
Wundows 7 Build 6801
In my opinion, I think Windows 8.1 is going to get worse reception than 8. This is because it is even harder to use in my findings. Also, it broke compatibility with many of my drivers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:44 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
all Ws
OrizenceDEV wrote:
In my opinion, I think Windows 8.1 is going to get worse reception than 8. This is because it is even harder to use in my findings. Also, it broke compatibility with many of my drivers.

you just tested a beta/preview which is considered for tech people only. The major mistake which is always done is to believe that a preview is the same as a RTM version of a new operating system. It is NOT and cannot be considered as one. Period

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:13 am 

Favourite OS
To be honest, I don't think Microsoft needs a "Plan B". Like Windows 8, Windows 8.1 will be shipped with almost all OEM laptops and desktops even though it's less useful on systems without touch. The only reasons I can think of why Windows 8 doesn't sell well are the recession and current Windows 7 pc's still being fast enough - there's no need to upgrade.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1.0-8.1 (All systems)
OrizenceDEV wrote:

Wait for RTM and compatibility with your drivers won't broke anymore.

Computer addict, Web Designer and Advanced Programmer.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
8.1 was already 8`s plan b.
*hehe*

They need to restore what made windows so great: a good UI and ease of use.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Pro RTM
There are still things that need to be improved upon with 8, even with 8.1. For example, while a file manager exists in 8.1, it's hidden in the SkyDrive app. It needs to be more apparent. Also, the Devices section of PC Settings still needs help, as does the integration of Messaging/Skype.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:53 pm 

I think Microsoft is taking this a bit hard. I know quite a few people who are pleased with Windows 8.
There just seems to be a huge bandwagon since Windows 8 came out that it's terrible due to lack of a start button.
I don't find it to be that bad. I'm used to Metro at this point, and my computer has no touch capabilities.
I think Windows 8 will do at least partially well in the long run, I mean at least it's not Vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:31 am 
FTP Access

But , many users who're familiar with earlier OS's(since 95) , might not like the lack of the Start menu and the Metro interface.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:24 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 8 is great in terms of performance and its snappy too! The only reason its been going down is because MS has started ignoring needs of desktop users. so far Windows 8 can be best experienced if one have a MS tablets but for desktop its never been fun. releasing Win 8.2 wont be much success if MS doesnt pay attention to Desktop PC user's needs. otherwise many including myself are happy using Windows 7 :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.5 + 10.6, Win NT 6.X
Kahleb wrote:
I think Microsoft is taking this a bit hard. I know quite a few people who are pleased with Windows 8.
There just seems to be a huge bandwagon since Windows 8 came out that it's terrible due to lack of a start button.
I don't find it to be that bad. I'm used to Metro at this point, and my computer has no touch capabilities.
I think Windows 8 will do at least partially well in the long run, I mean at least it's not Vista.

There's that huge bandwagon again... 8-)

zatak wrote:
Windows 8 is great in terms of performance and its snappy too! The only reason its been going down is because MS has started ignoring needs of desktop users. so far Windows 8 can be best experienced if one have a MS tablets but for desktop its never been fun. releasing Win 8.2 wont be much success if MS doesnt pay attention to Desktop PC user's needs. otherwise many including myself are happy using Windows 7 :)

Stop speaking for everyone, I use Windows 8 Pro on a desktop nearly everyday, and guess what? I love it! It's the best Windows OS I've ever used, with Vista SP2 close behind and 7 close behind Vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:43 pm 
Donator

Heh, I use 8.1 and it kicks Windows 8's ass.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:24 pm 
Donator

Wheatley wrote:
Heh, I use 8.1 and it kicks Windows 8's ass.

Not true. If it doesn't work on my laptop running Windows 8, it's a crap. </half-sarcasm>

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:41 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
I have a feeling that half of the Windows 8 haters didn't even try it, they heard there was no start button and instantly decided the whole OS was horrible.

Formerly ratsrock2323

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
1631.1; 4039; 6780; 8102
ratsrock2323 wrote:
I have a feeling that half of the Windows 8 haters didn't even try it, they heard there was no start button and instantly decided the whole OS was horrible.

There is start button, but no the Win7 Start Menu ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
trevor12 wrote:
windows 8 is big fail from Microsoft (default metro ui without choice), for serious work I don´t want use fingers on touch display of laptop or tablet ... I am old school user who want classic environtment without some "fashioned cool features like aero ..) and use mouse and hotkeys ...

I hope that Microsoft knows it via feedback from ordinary users ... Microsoft gave a chances to Apple with OSX and maybe Apple use it in higher penetration ...

I see your point... Windows 8 is going to appeal to some people, but only a very select audience. People who grew up with a command prompt and Start Menu probably won't be so happy.

Formerly ratsrock2323

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:14 pm 
FTP Access

Though I didn't really liked Windows 8, I find 8.1 much better than 8.
In my opinion 8.1 is what Microsoft should have released last year as Windows 8.
I'm using the 8.1 Preview since July 2013 and have found the following improvements to be useful:

Boot directly to the Desktop/ All Apps view
Option to use the same background on Metro and Desktop
50-50% side-by-side apps
And in 8.1 RTM: the right click (Win + X) menu addition: Sign out option.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 - 3.1.319
...though I found a list like in Windows 8.1 RTM when you right-click in 9385 and earlier builds (Not only on 8.1 Milestones, but on Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Release Preview and RTM).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
windowsuser wrote:
Though I didn't really liked Windows 8, I find 8.1 much better than 8.
In my opinion 8.1 is what Microsoft should have released last year as Windows 8.
I'm using the 8.1 Preview since July 2013 and have found the following improvements to be useful:

Boot directly to the Desktop/ All Apps view
Option to use the same background on Metro and Desktop
50-50% side-by-side apps
And in 8.1 RTM: the right click (Win + X) menu addition: Sign out option.

Exactly.... it seems like 8.1 has so many more and better features then 8.
Offtopic Comment
Is the boot screen going to stay as a fish? Beacuse that would be awesome :P

Formerly ratsrock2323

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:23 pm 
Donator

Offtopic Comment
You haven't tried the rtm have you?

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 - 3.1.319
9471 got the Windows 8 bootscreen back so it obviously hasn't bootscreen fro Windows 8.1 preview.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
Awww.... But I liked the fish :( BettaFish you must be sad... :P

Formerly ratsrock2323

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 - 3.1.319
ratsrock2323 wrote:
BettaFish you must be sad... :P

Yep. :P
Only betas use the Betta Fish. Why not RTMs? :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft prepared a "Plan B" if Windows 8.1 fails        Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:58 pm 
FTP Access

BettaFish1902 wrote:
ratsrock2323 wrote:
BettaFish you must be sad... :P

Yep. :P
Only betas use the Betta Fish. Why not RTMs? :P

Because the BettaFish is for beta releases....

Top  Profile