Serious multiplication bug discovered in Excel 2007

New news and release discussion.
Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Serious multiplication bug discovered in Excel 2007

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Saw this story posted on Slashdot that I thought was interesting - a bug has been discovered in Excel 2007 where the wrong answer can sometimes be given when doing multiplication. It seems as though in some situations when the answer should be 65535 it is instead given as 100,000! I checked it in my copy of Excel and it is definitely a bug, for instance:

The answer to the formula in A1 should be 65535. The formula in A2 is =A1+1, but it has taken the value of A1 as being 100,000 and so come to the incorrect answer.

Here I entered the number 850 in A1, and then the formula shown in A2. The formula again produces 100,000 when the result should be 65535.

Pretty serious bug huh? Apparently it only affects Excel 2007, not any previous versions.

Doctor Mindvipe
Donator

Post by Doctor Mindvipe »

Probably have been reported to MicroSoft already, though... look out for a bugfix coming to Automatic Bugloads near you

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

JPMorgan is screwed then. thats what they use now...
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

danielnez1

Post by danielnez1 »

I wonder if the person who wrote the Windows 3.x calculator which couldn't subtract was responsible for this as well

Doctor Mindvipe
Donator

Post by Doctor Mindvipe »

danielnez1 wrote:I wonder if the person who wrote the Windows 3.x calculator which couldn't subtract was responsible for this as well
He probably taught the team coding Excel everything he knows

TheWahbinator
FTP Access

Post by TheWahbinator »

This only happens with decimals (floating point vs integer)

Still this is a critical bug, there better be a hotfix quick.

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

This is really a critical bug. Are you able to reproduce it with the Beta of the Sp1?
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."