BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 35d, 1h, 43m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5815MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Help with member uploads        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:21 pm 
Administrator

I am starting this post so I can ask you members for help into identifying a particular release. I get lots of uploads from members but rarely do I get any info of what it really is, and the member rarely replies back with any info. And recently the unidentified and unprocessed releases has started to use up a significant amount of drive space so I will try to ask you members for assistance.

There will be a new folder on the FTP called "[Help]", in it I will place the releases I need help with. Remember that these releases has not been scanned or checked for cracks/serials/patches so it would be appreciated if a helping member could identify these files and report them as well. I will make a new post here with information every time I put in a new release in the folder.

After each pack has been identified I will remove the release folder from [Help].

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:25 pm 
Administrator

- Added Release 1

This is a special one. The files are properly named and everything, but the compression method is unknown. I've tried this with WinRAR and WinZIP as well as 7zip without any success. I've also tried merging files etc but nothing has created a working zip-file. How do I uncompress this? I got several releases like this, I've uploaded one.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:00 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Have you tried with PKZip for Windows? I know that one includes several properitary compression methods that only it supports, maybe this was packed with that.

Edit: I opened Microsoft Windows 95C (4.03.1216) (OSR2.5) [Italian].zip with WinRAR, and it opened the file OK, identifies it as a PKZIP 2.0 type of archive. Will try extracting the ISO from the file after I'm done downloading all the parts.

Edit #2: I just downloaded all the parts and extracted the ISO successfully with WinRAR.
I had to rename the files from:
Microsoft Windows 95C (4.03.1216) (OSR2.5) [Italian].zip
Microsoft Windows 95C (4.03.1216) (OSR2.5) [Italian]_001.zip
Microsoft Windows 95C (4.03.1216) (OSR2.5) [Italian]_002.zip
Microsoft Windows 95C (4.03.1216) (OSR2.5) [Italian]_003.zip
Microsoft Windows 95C (4.03.1216) (OSR2.5) [Italian]_004.zip
to:
Microsoft Windows 95C (4.03.1216) (OSR2.5) [Italian].zip
Microsoft Windows 95C (4.03.1216) (OSR2.5) [Italian].z01
Microsoft Windows 95C (4.03.1216) (OSR2.5) [Italian].z02
Microsoft Windows 95C (4.03.1216) (OSR2.5) [Italian].z03
Microsoft Windows 95C (4.03.1216) (OSR2.5) [Italian].z04
Yes, the first file retains the same name, it is the file you should open.

And I successfully opened the extracted ISO with WinRAR too, confirming it extracted correctly.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Last edited by Battler on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
I may have made some progress; I managed to extract a ISO but it appears broken. :(

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:14 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- motherboardlove: I just extracted the ISO fine from it, read the latest version of my post above. The ISO also opened fine.

Edit: Seems the ISO really is fine, here is the contents of INSTALLA.TXT (Italian equivalent to SETUP.TXT):
Code:
     ----------------------------------------------------------------
      File Leggimi di Microsoft Windows 95 relativo all'installazione
                               Novembre 1997           
     ----------------------------------------------------------------

(c) Copyright Microsoft Corporation, 1997

Questo documento contiene informazioni aggiuntive o estremamente recenti
che completano la documentazione di Microsoft Windows 95.

Edit #2: Successfully installed the OS (not IE 4 yet, will install that now) in Virtual PC. Screenshot (serial number blurred as per forum rules):

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:51 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
I did get the ISO extracted but I'm getting conflicting information - the ISO independantly seems fine but the ZIP file says I'm missing about 100MB and the CRC is incorrect :/

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:24 pm 
Administrator

Thank you Battler for finding out how to unpack this, I've now processed this release along with a few others that were packed the same way.

- Release 1 removed

--------

- Release 2 added

This release was labeled Microsoft OS2 1.1 Beta. I have no idea how to identify this one properly, how can one tell it's beta?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
the Microsoft OS/2 1.1 Beta is really the final version of Microsoft OS/2 1.0.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:24 pm 
Administrator

And how do you know this? Really people, this thread is intended to help me properly identify and label stuff, but I can do this only with proof. Coming on and saying that "X is really this and that" doesn't help if I don't know how you came to this conclusion.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:25 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
mrpijey wrote:
And how do you know this? Really people, this thread is intended to help me properly identify and label stuff, but I can do this only with proof. Coming on and saying that "X is really this and that" doesn't help if I don't know how you came to this conclusion.

On BA FTP once there was a copy of MS OS/2 1.0 mislabeled as an OS/2 1.1 beta.

Anyway, I'll grab this new "1.1 beta" and check it out myself.

EDIT: On the bootscreen it clearly identified itself as MS OS/2 1.0, without a build number, so OS/2 1.0 RTM. Sure, it contains some PDFs but I haven't looked at those yet.

EDIT 2: the PDFs are OS/2 1.1 rtm manuals, from the HPMuseum website.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:04 pm 
Administrator

OK, thank you.

- Release 2 removed

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:04 pm 
Administrator

- Release 3 added

Commander Keen 1 (beta).rar
Commander Keen 2 (beta).rar

I know there's been plenty of posts about these, but I can't get heads or tails with it. What I need to know really is which one is complete and which one isn't. From what I understand one of them is a custom hackjob using RTM files, and I need to remove those files as we don't want a hackjob. We can always include a readme file explaining what needs to be done to get it working, but we need a "clean" beta. Some dates would be nice too.

--------

- Release 4 added

Elder Scrolls - Daggerfall (beta demo) (alt).rar
Elder Scrolls - Daggerfall (beta demo) (alt2).rar
Elder Scrolls - Daggerfall (beta demo) [Betony].rar

What are the differences between these? Should they be renamed into something more proper? Are they beta, beta demos or what? Any dates?

--------

Once again thanks for all the assistance :).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:54 pm 
Administrator

- Release 5 added

Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition (beta2).rar
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition (beta2) (alt).rar

I figured I would let the experts here figure out the build number of this one. Before anyone asks if I checked the kernel files - I did. They carry the RTM build of NT 4.0 since Enterprise Edition is built on NT 4.0 SP3, so it's not the "real" build of this. So I need help to figure out how to properly tag these.

Each set comes with two ISOs, first ISO is the Windows NT installation disc, the second one contains various beta versions of IIS, Exchange Server etc etc. The readme files on both discs mention "Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition Beta 2", so it's not just a vanilla RTM ISO. And since we lack any betas of NT 4.0 Enterprise Server on BA I thought these would be especially important to get them there.

Thanks in advance!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
mrpijey wrote:
- Release 5 added

Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition (beta2).rar
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition (beta2) (alt).rar

I figured I would let the experts here figure out the build number of this one. Before anyone asks if I checked the kernel files - I did. They carry the RTM build of NT 4.0 since Enterprise Edition is built on NT 4.0 SP3, so it's not the "real" build of this. So I need help to figure out how to properly tag these.

Each set comes with two ISOs, first ISO is the Windows NT installation disc, the second one contains various beta versions of IIS, Exchange Server etc etc. The readme files on both discs mention "Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition Beta 2", so it's not just a vanilla RTM ISO. And since we lack any betas of NT 4.0 Enterprise Server on BA I thought these would be especially important to get them there.

Thanks in advance!
Are you sure that this build is not just based on a Service Pack build, with pre-release versions of the Enterprise components? Often with specialized versions of Windows based on the NT-line, I have found that they are based around a perfectly normal version, but have certain components and features added to the feature set.

Being based on a Service Pack build would also explain why it had the RTM build number, so that's my guess.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:38 pm 
Donator

Here's the comparison:

Code:
Disk 1: All contents are exactly same, except these differences:
      - Alt ISO:
            [=] CDFS is ISO 9660 with Juliet format support , ISO 9660 Format: DOS 8.3
            [=] Volume name: VOLUME29D
            [=] It has CDROM_S.40 in its root

- Normal ISO:
            [=] CDFS is ISO 9660 only , ISO 9660 Format: Windows
            [=] Volume name: VOLUME28B
            [=] It does NOT have CDROM_S.40 in its root
            [=] Date of files differs from Alt ISO.

Disk 2: All contents are same as well, except these differences:
      - Alt ISO:
            [=] CDFS is ISO 9660 with Juliet format support , ISO 9660 Format: DOS 8.3
            [=] Volume Name: VOLUME29E

- Normal ISO:
            [=] CDFS is ISO 9660 only , ISO 9660 Format: Windows
            [=] Volume Name: VOLUME28C
            [=] Added the files MSCS\CLUSTER\I386\CLUADMIN.GID and MTS\ALPHA\README.GID to same content of Alt ISO

Both CDs seems from Microsoft Beta Program ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:53 pm 
Administrator

So they are at least the same "build", just a different release or what? Either way the "(alt)" part is correct :). Time to find out the real build though :).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
mrpijey wrote:
So they are at least the same "build", just a different release or what? Either way the "(alt)" part is correct :). Time to find out the real build though :).
As I said, it was probably based on a Service Pack build, but I still have yet to install it myself, let alone to actually compare it against another Service Pack installation.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.x
WinPC wrote:
As I said, it was probably based on a Service Pack build, but I still have yet to install it myself, let alone to actually compare it against another Service Pack installation.

The Service Pack is separate, not built-in. The ESE doesn't have any Service Pack by default (except SP1 which all NT releases past a certain date seem to have).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
If it has Service Pack 1 integrated, though, then it is based on a Service Pack build.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:30 pm 
Administrator

- Release 6 added

Microsoft MS-DOS 1.19 [Zenith OEM] (5¼).rar
Microsoft MS-DOS 1.25 [Zenith OEM] (5¼).rar

First of all, these two seems to be duplicates so I will keep them both for now. Second, there seems to be an issue of what version this is. COMMAND.COM in both says "MS-DOS Command release 1.00, version 1.19", yet the volume label on the floppy says "MSDOS125". And there are no other references to 1.19 or 1.25. So exactly what version is this?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
mrpijey wrote:
- Release 6 added

Microsoft MS-DOS 1.19 [Zenith OEM] (5¼).rar
Microsoft MS-DOS 1.25 [Zenith OEM] (5¼).rar

First of all, these two seems to be duplicates so I will keep them both for now. Second, there seems to be an issue of what version this is. COMMAND.COM in both says "MS-DOS Command release 1.00, version 1.19", yet the volume label on the floppy says "MSDOS125". And there are no other references to 1.19 or 1.25. So exactly what version is this?

they are both 1.25, but are not PC compatible, they are fully bootable only on an actual Zenith Z-100.
msdos.sys should report the right version number, check it on inside notepad.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 pm 
Administrator

MSDOS.SYS doesn't have any version info in it, not viewable by a hex editor/notepad anyway.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:39 am 
Donator

TheCollector1988 : very interresting. Could you explain each of your conclusions ?

For your information, I managed to fully boot them and run their programs on a nowadays PC, providing the correct boot sector.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
well, my conclusion is because the mislabeled MS-DOS 1.20 I have (the command.com file reports "release 1.00, version 1.20" and it has a viewable msdos.sys and it says "MS-DOS release 1.00, version 1.25" so I'm sure this also does for the command.com release 1.00, version 1.19 as well.

Chorg: does it run anything that it is only executable on the Zenith Z-100? (like diskcomp, diskcopy, format, etc)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help with member uploads        Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:10 pm 
Donator

It does run successfully FORMAT.COM on the PC, and this FORMAT.COM does direct FAR CALLs to the DOS Kernel, using DOS 1.x conventions.

I didn't check DISKCOPY nor DISKCOMP.

Do you have the original floppy disk of your "MS-DOS release 1.00, version 1.25" ?

Last edited by hounsell on Fri May 24, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed censored typo

Top  Profile