Windows XP Professional SP2 C

New news and release discussion.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Windows XP Professional SP2 C

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

This is not Service Pack 3 ... it's Service Pack 2C. Apparently since Microsoft has run out of OEM product keys for XP Professional (though not home, media center or tablet), they are creating XP Pro SP2 C which takes different keys. It's still OEM media though, and there are absolutely no functionality or branding changes. The only real difference is that it will take a different range of product keys.

More info from this blog
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

Richard0612
FTP Access

Post by Richard0612 »

I wonder how long it will take for this to be 'hacked' by pirates and crackers?

My money's on 2 days or less

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Nothing to hack really, it just has updated key algorithm files so that it accepts a greater range of keys than the existing discs.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:Nothing to hack really, it just has updated key algorithm files so that it accepts a greater range of keys than the existing discs.
They'll find something lol

Deathwarder
FTP Access

Post by Deathwarder »

I wonder... What does this say about windows vista that they need more xp keys? Also, what does this say about the mac os that they have run out of 25 digit alphanumeric codes, and apple is still 3% of the market?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

with 25 alphanumeric digits its almost impossible to run out. Its the algorithm they use thats making them run out so quickly.

Just think you could have a key thats

AAAAA AAAAA AAAAA AAAAA AAAAA

then

AAAAA AAAAA AAAAA AAAAA AAAAB

etc.

It would take a very very long time to run out.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

With an alphanumeric key of 25 characters, you could have a possible 36^25 keys, which works out to be a number 38 digits long. Its impossible for anyone to run out.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

hounsell wrote:With an alphanumeric key of 25 characters, you could have a possible 36^25 keys, which works out to be a number 38 digits long. Its impossible for anyone to run out.
Keep in mind not all possible combinations are available as 25-digit keys are also used for other products, and these keys aren't interchangable, e.g. a Windows 2000 PID won't work on XP and vice versa. -

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

empireum wrote:
hounsell wrote:With an alphanumeric key of 25 characters, you could have a possible 36^25 keys, which works out to be a number 38 digits long. Its impossible for anyone to run out.
Keep in mind not all possible combinations are available as 25-digit keys are also used for other products, and these keys aren't interchangable, e.g. a Windows 2000 PID won't work on XP and vice versa. -
You'd still find it impossible to run out though

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

I wonder how many keys they set aside for each product that uses the 25-character keys then? Clearly they underestimated the number of XP Pro keys that would be issued as I'm sure they aim to have more than enough keys available from the product's release for the number they expect to need.