Windows Home Server Released To Manufacturing

New news and release discussion.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Windows Home Server Released To Manufacturing

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

The RTM build of Windows Home Server has been built. There are two versions that are on their way to the hardware partners: both the normal OEM version (like we will be able to buy pretty soon) as well as a 120-day evaluation copy (much like Server 2003).

Read all about it here!

There's also an interesting bit in the blog post about why it was codenamed Q / Quattro. This is the fourth attempt at a home server. Interestingly one attempt was codenamed Bedrock, and was shown at the 2000 CES.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

If this evaluation copy is offered for download, I might give it a try to see what MS have made out of this.

iwanttogohome
Donator

Post by iwanttogohome »

I tested this when it was in beta stage I cannot wait to get my hand on the final product

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

An MS product made on time? OMG!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

leonbollerup
Donator

Its quite good..

Post by leonbollerup »

Hey

I tested the last RC from Microsoft Connect, its extremly cute, and even tho that i have a couple of win2k3 enterprise servers running, i am still considering setting up a permanent WHS, mainly because the ease of use, going to install a new version here later and see how it interacts with Longhorn 4079.. (it has this kind of a client that you install, the client handles backup of the machine and so on)

Anyone else tryed it ?

// Leon

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

I may buy a WHS... It would be my first HP-Built computer! (I always build my own)
-Jeff