BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 23h, 16m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 2053MB of 4959MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: 75-year-old has world's fastest private internet connection        Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:26 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
75-year-old Sibritt Löthberg from Karlstad Sweden just got her first computer, but it didn't take her long to download all the necessary patches.

Swedish news site The Local reports that Löthberg's home has been tricked-out with a record-breaking 40 Gb/s connection - the first time a private residence has tapped into the internet at such high speeds.

The blazing-fast connection comes courtesy her son, Peter Löthberg, a Swedish optical internet guru working at Cisco.

Ma Löthberg's house was converted into a broadband dog-and-pony act in an effort to promote high-speed fibre connections as a commercially viable platform.

"I want to show that there are other methods than the old fashioned ways such as copper wires and radio, which lack the possibilities that fibre has," said Peter Löthberg.

According to The Local, the secret sauce behind the connection is a new modulation technique that allows data to be transfered directly between two routers up to 2,000 km apart - with no intermediary transponders. This allows information to travel over huge distances without data loss.

With her blistering connection, Sigbritt Löthberg will be able to download a full high-definition DVD in just two seconds. Now if only there was a place for a Swede to utilize such a speed advantage...

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/12 ... onnection/

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:29 pm 
Donator

:shock: wow! :shock:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:04 pm 
Donator

exactly, wow :shock:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:07 am 
FTP Access

yey for sweden!
TPB and fast internet!
:lol:

that's... like... zero load time... ever...

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:54 am 
Donator

wow i wish my connection was that fast

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:52 am 
Donator

As commented on before, its just a PR stunt. Not only is her NIC/Modem have to be an outrageous price, but common desktop hardware wouldnt be able to handle the data coming in this fast

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:18 am 
Donator

you will need a fiber optics modem, fiber cales to your computer.Then aprocesor that can handle that much data at once. umm hard drive writing would be a problem. Huge delay, memory would be full in milliseconds or you can get 16 TB ram.
not even standard memoy can send data at that speed. The fastest video card could barely handle that much data.
SO, is this connect required for me, no. but if i got 1 / 10th of this speed, i'll be happy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:34 am 
Donator

If my internet was that fast, I'd download everything in sight!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:01 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 95 OSR 2.1 RTM
Holy s**t. 40 Gb/s! :shock:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:04 am 
Donator

IMO, connections over 100 mb/s are completely useless in the home, because as of right now, most servers can't even give that speed. Anyways, having that connection must be freaking awesome.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Jeff wrote:
IMO, connections over 100 mb/s are completely useless in the home, because as of right now, most servers can't even give that speed.
It's not useless if you are downloading some files from some servers at the same time... ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:16 pm 
Donator

FiFi wrote:
Jeff wrote:
IMO, connections over 100 mb/s are completely useless in the home, because as of right now, most servers can't even give that speed.
It's not useless if you are downloading some files from some servers at the same time... ;)

Yeah, I didn't think of that. It is quite true.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:47 am 
Donator

too bad that the harddisks can't keep up with those speeds, so it takes a whole lot longer to download an hd-dvd

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:28 pm 
Donator

tristan wrote:
too bad that the harddisks can't keep up with those speeds, so it takes a whole lot longer to download an hd-dvd

Why download it? If your connection is so fast, play it right off the web!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:38 am 
FTP Access

just a thought, as i'm not overly knowledgeable in Hardware, couldn't you use a RAID configuration so the data is being written to multiple drives?
so like instead of all going ot one drive (at maximum drive speed) you put a large data chunk on drive 1, another on 2 and etc? would that theoretically double, triple or quadruple your drive speed, and if you ahd enough fast drives, be able to meet 40GBp/s writting speed?

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:48 am 
Donator

spaceship9 wrote:
just a thought, as i'm not overly knowledgeable in Hardware, couldn't you use a RAID configuration so the data is being written to multiple drives?
so like instead of all going ot one drive (at maximum drive speed) you put a large data chunk on drive 1, another on 2 and etc? would that theoretically double, triple or quadruple your drive speed, and if you ahd enough fast drives, be able to meet 40GBp/s writting speed?

A RAID 0 configuration (or any other implying a striped set) would indeed increase (not double/triple/etc. as some is lost) the speed the volume could be written to at, but a) imagine the number of drives you'd need to reach such a tremendous speed and b) you'll hit the limits of the controller/bus much sooner.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:39 am 
Donator

With that connection you can download a dvd rip in 2 seconds, but your harddrive would not be capable to save the data @that speed...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:52 am 
Donator

Ludacris wrote:
With that connection you can download a dvd rip in 2 seconds, but your harddrive would not be capable to save the data @that speed...

A DVD rip will take about 0.2 seconds. An HD-DVD rip will take 2 seconds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:26 am 
FTP Access

assuming you can FIND a place offering HD-DVD rips at that speed...
via bittorrent the fastest HD-DVD rip i ever found was at a measly ~400-500KBp/s.... and I doubt you'll find a DDL place.. if you do, I'm sure it ownt last

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Dear god!

And I'm still stuck at 786 kilobits per second.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:35 am 
FTP Access

XX55XX wrote:
Dear god!

And I'm still stuck at 786 kilobits per second.

Me 500 :(

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:05 pm 
Donator

What should I say? I'm at dial-up at home :cry: German Telekom upgraded the copper cable to fiber glass and so I'm not able to get normal DSL and VDSL is to expensive to bring it to smaller towns :cry: :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:08 pm 
FTP Access

verizonfios.com

<-----Uses package 1
best deal, IF it's offered in your area

probably the closest and cheapest you'll get to 40GBp/s

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Chicago (hometown pride)
The modifications to our current fiber lines to make them that fast would be basicly zero to the phone companies, but, as they must be, they cap the markets and jack up the prices. Now, all we need to do is bring on the Protien Coated Disks ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:19 am 
omfg, nice one XDDD

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next