75-year-old has world's fastest private internet connection

New news and release discussion.
Andy
Administrator

75-year-old has world's fastest private internet connection

Post by Andy »

75-year-old Sibritt Löthberg from Karlstad Sweden just got her first computer, but it didn't take her long to download all the necessary patches.

Swedish news site The Local reports that Löthberg's home has been tricked-out with a record-breaking 40 Gb/s connection - the first time a private residence has tapped into the internet at such high speeds.

The blazing-fast connection comes courtesy her son, Peter Löthberg, a Swedish optical internet guru working at Cisco.

Ma Löthberg's house was converted into a broadband dog-and-pony act in an effort to promote high-speed fibre connections as a commercially viable platform.

"I want to show that there are other methods than the old fashioned ways such as copper wires and radio, which lack the possibilities that fibre has," said Peter Löthberg.

According to The Local, the secret sauce behind the connection is a new modulation technique that allows data to be transfered directly between two routers up to 2,000 km apart - with no intermediary transponders. This allows information to travel over huge distances without data loss.

With her blistering connection, Sigbritt Löthberg will be able to download a full high-definition DVD in just two seconds. Now if only there was a place for a Swede to utilize such a speed advantage...

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/12 ... onnection/

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

wow!
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

exactly, wow

spaceship9
FTP Access

Post by spaceship9 »

yey for sweden!
TPB and fast internet!

that's... like... zero load time... ever...

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

iwanttogohome
Donator

Post by iwanttogohome »

wow i wish my connection was that fast

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

As commented on before, its just a PR stunt. Not only is her NIC/Modem have to be an outrageous price, but common desktop hardware wouldnt be able to handle the data coming in this fast

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

you will need a fiber optics modem, fiber cales to your computer.Then aprocesor that can handle that much data at once. umm hard drive writing would be a problem. Huge delay, memory would be full in milliseconds or you can get 16 TB ram.
not even standard memoy can send data at that speed. The fastest video card could barely handle that much data.
SO, is this connect required for me, no. but if i got 1 / 10th of this speed, i'll be happy.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

If my internet was that fast, I'd download everything in sight!

hjort
FTP Access

Post by hjort »

Holy s**t. 40 Gb/s!
My gaming machine: AST Advantage 6066d. Cyrix 66MHz 486DX. 4MB RAM. 512KB Cirrus Logic onboard graphics. Creativa Vibra 16 ISA. 520MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 40x CD-ROM. MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.1

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

IMO, connections over 100 mb/s are completely useless in the home, because as of right now, most servers can't even give that speed. Anyways, having that connection must be freaking awesome.
-Jeff

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

Jeff wrote:IMO, connections over 100 mb/s are completely useless in the home, because as of right now, most servers can't even give that speed.
It's not useless if you are downloading some files from some servers at the same time...

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

FiFi wrote:
Jeff wrote:IMO, connections over 100 mb/s are completely useless in the home, because as of right now, most servers can't even give that speed.
It's not useless if you are downloading some files from some servers at the same time...
Yeah, I didn't think of that. It is quite true.
-Jeff

tristan
Donator

Post by tristan »

too bad that the harddisks can't keep up with those speeds, so it takes a whole lot longer to download an hd-dvd

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

tristan wrote:too bad that the harddisks can't keep up with those speeds, so it takes a whole lot longer to download an hd-dvd
Why download it? If your connection is so fast, play it right off the web!

spaceship9
FTP Access

Post by spaceship9 »

just a thought, as i'm not overly knowledgeable in Hardware, couldn't you use a RAID configuration so the data is being written to multiple drives?
so like instead of all going ot one drive (at maximum drive speed) you put a large data chunk on drive 1, another on 2 and etc? would that theoretically double, triple or quadruple your drive speed, and if you ahd enough fast drives, be able to meet 40GBp/s writting speed?

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

spaceship9 wrote:just a thought, as i'm not overly knowledgeable in Hardware, couldn't you use a RAID configuration so the data is being written to multiple drives?
so like instead of all going ot one drive (at maximum drive speed) you put a large data chunk on drive 1, another on 2 and etc? would that theoretically double, triple or quadruple your drive speed, and if you ahd enough fast drives, be able to meet 40GBp/s writting speed?
A RAID 0 configuration (or any other implying a striped set) would indeed increase (not double/triple/etc. as some is lost) the speed the volume could be written to at, but a) imagine the number of drives you'd need to reach such a tremendous speed and b) you'll hit the limits of the controller/bus much sooner.

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

With that connection you can download a dvd rip in 2 seconds, but your harddrive would not be capable to save the data @that speed...

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

Ludacris wrote:With that connection you can download a dvd rip in 2 seconds, but your harddrive would not be capable to save the data @that speed...
A DVD rip will take about 0.2 seconds. An HD-DVD rip will take 2 seconds.

spaceship9
FTP Access

Post by spaceship9 »

assuming you can FIND a place offering HD-DVD rips at that speed...
via bittorrent the fastest HD-DVD rip i ever found was at a measly ~400-500KBp/s.... and I doubt you'll find a DDL place.. if you do, I'm sure it ownt last

include email

XX55XX
FTP Access

Post by XX55XX »

Dear god!

And I'm still stuck at 786 kilobits per second.

sp4rkbr
FTP Access

Post by sp4rkbr »

XX55XX wrote:Dear god!

And I'm still stuck at 786 kilobits per second.
Me 500

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

What should I say? I'm at dial-up at home German Telekom upgraded the copper cable to fiber glass and so I'm not able to get normal DSL and VDSL is to expensive to bring it to smaller towns
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

spaceship9
FTP Access

Post by spaceship9 »

verizonfios.com

<-----Uses package 1
best deal, IF it's offered in your area

probably the closest and cheapest you'll get to 40GBp/s

include email

AnDrEwP182
FTP Access

Post by AnDrEwP182 »

The modifications to our current fiber lines to make them that fast would be basicly zero to the phone companies, but, as they must be, they cap the markets and jack up the prices. Now, all we need to do is bring on the Protien Coated Disks

Shizo

Post by Shizo »

omfg, nice one XDDD