BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 15h, 28m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 1849MB of 3203MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Microsoft Got Hacked!        Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:03 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Microsoft Got Hacked!

The official Microsoft U.K. Domain was attacked and defaced by a hacker identified as rEmOtEr. Microsoft confirmed that the hack has been successful. rEmOtEr altered a webpage in the Microsoft.co.uk domain with two images and multiple references to the kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

The U.K. branch of the Redmond company managed to fix the problem, and the functionality of the website is back to normal parameters. The webpage hacked dealt with Microsoft events and can be found here. In the adjacent image you can see how the hacker defaced the page, courtesy of Zone-H.

Roger Halbheer, chief security advisor for Microsoft in Europe, the Middle East and Africa admitted that the hack was successful and revealed that the whole event was unfortunate. According to Microsoft, no sensitive information was compromised in the attack. This is a clear indication that the hack was done for show, rather than to actually cause any harm.

Another argument that supports such a scenario is the fact that rEmOtEr took time to document the hack in two separate video fragments. You will be able to watch for yourselves the live hacking via the two "remoter_vs_microsoft.avi" files.

The hack was possible mainly because of the fact that the database was allowed to return error messages explained Halbheer, as cited by InfoWorld. The attack was possible through a technique referred to as SQL injection. This fact is also confirmed by the hacker in the two videos that were made available. Via Structured Query Language injection rEmOtEr was able to gain access to the database. In the video fragments you will be able to see how easy the hacker obtains both usernames and passwords for the database. Working his way from error message to error message, rEmOtEr finally could switch from SQL queries with an unexpected form to direct instructions to the database.

Source: http://keznews.com/

Video: http://rs73.rapidshare.com/files/39675384/remoter_vs_microsoft.zip

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Microsoft's websites have been attacked before, in the past and defaced numerous times. It's not too surprising that it has happened again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:12 pm 
FTP Access

That has to be embarrassing, I mean, come on, if Windows servers are so stable and secure, why did Microsoft get pwned?
I know one thing: I'm sticking to Windows 2000 for my main PC OS. It pwnz any other OS. Mac OS X is pretty good, also, and Puppy Linux is the best Linux I've tried.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:22 pm 
Donator

ZSS9393 wrote:
That has to be embarrassing, I mean, come on, if Windows servers are so stable and secure, why did Microsoft get pwned?

Actually, if the hack was really only possible because of SQL injections, then it's not the Microsoft servers that are at fault, but the website's ASP code, or (if you compare it to PHP, which escapes special characters automatically) ASP itself.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:25 pm 
Donator

I'm surprised a company like Microsoft wouldn't have checked their code for potential SQL injections: this is from the company that publishes the book Writing Secure Code*. Though I've got to say that the guy who did it, well, he's a dumbass for posting his name, email address, and website on the video. Is he asking to be thrown in jail? It seems like it. :P I liked the video, I laughed at how he kept writing "lolz" after doing things. :P

* It's actually a good book

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
that guy is definitely going to jail.

MS is the software giant and he has woke the giant.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:35 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
I doubt he'll go to jail, not for a silly little proof of concept attack.
Unless he did something to expose personal information or directly caused damage he'll probably just get a fine, if that.

This is assuming he didn't do anything beyond the hacks shown in the videos.

I mean, the HL2 hacker just got community service.

Also, this is post 100!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
I'm surprised a company like Microsoft wouldn't have checked their code for potential SQL injections: this is from the company that publishes the book Writing Secure Code*. Though I've got to say that the guy who did it, well, he's a dumbass for posting his name, email address, and website on the video. Is he asking to be thrown in jail? It seems like it. :P I liked the video, I laughed at how he kept writing "lolz" after doing things. :P

Quote:
[/quote] I've read it, and it is a very good book.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:06 am 
FTP Access

lol i know doing something like that then giving an email address?

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]