BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 19h, 42m | CPU: 2% | MEM: 2697MB of 4469MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Symantec and Adobe are using the EU        Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:57 am 
Donator

According to a report in "The Wall Street Journal," Microsoft competitors Adobe and Symantec are behind recent European Union investigations into Microsoft's Windows XP successor, Vista. The two firms have lobbied the EU regulators to prevent Microsoft from shipping free features in Windows Vista that compete with products these companies now sell to consumers.

Adobe is complaining that Microsoft is offering technology that offers part of the functionality of Adobe's more powerful PDF format. What's different, apparently, is that Adobe charges customers to create PDF documents, while Microsoft's competing format, XPS (XML Paper Specification), is free. Adobe PDF is widely regarded as a de facto standard of sorts, thanks largely to Adobe's practice of giving away its Adobe Reader software, which can display, but not edit or create, PDF documents.

Symantec alleges that Microsoft's Security Center console in Windows Vista should be replaceable by third party software, despite the fact that Security Center can be populated with links to third party products, including Symantec's. Microsoft is even allowing third parties to brand Security Center with their own logos and icons. Symantec has also complained about a new security feature called Kernel PatchGuard that prevents software--malicious or otherwise--from altering the Windows kernel at runtime. In the past, security companies have been forced to patch the Windows kernel because so much malicious software does so as well. That process will not be possible in Windows Vista, which should make the system more secure. Symantec wants it removed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:21 am 
Up until recently, all my systems ran symantec, & most systems I built for
whomever, however since August I've given them the flick & recommend
against them...
Their POS AV is so embedded into the system, removing it 100% is
impossible, even when not one single string associated with the POS
remains in the registry..
The problem with Norton is a lot of the nasties that get in, specifically
target & disable it, leaving you no choice but to spend a bunch of time
removing it from every place it hides, registry included, before you can
re-install it as a working program again...

My respect for MS & Vista just went up a notch, whilst for Symantec, went
down rock bottom...

If someone were to start a campaign to sink symantec, I'd be on it...
It truly is PUSS, & a resource hog...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:12 pm 
Donator

i hate norton antivirus. it wouldn't let me uninstall it even after reinstalling. i stopped of the services and startup stuff, and deleted it. but i still see parts of it around my computer

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:28 pm 
FTP Access

All symantec products (home products) are impossible to completely remove. The corporate antivirus isn't so bad though. Adobe and Symantec need to get bitchslapped HARD.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:19 am 
Donator

Symantec corporate products (Ghost and NAVCORP) are the best of thier kind IMO, however all thier home products (e.g. NAV2007 etc) are pathetic eye-candy apps... Symantec are going down with NAV2007, its pathetic, bloated, hard to remove, annoying, looks ugly, had 7/8 betas which didn't seem to do much in improving it, has no real difference from NAV2003 apart from a few useless features and eyecandy and is expensive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4051
I'll join you Ken0ath in an anti-Symantec campaign.

I used to used NIS 2002, worst years of my life. My gran had a machine which shouldn't have been slow - AthlonXP 2100, 512Mb PC2700 etc. But she installed NAV2004, by gum it killed that machine.

I want to kill several companies at the moment, Symantec for obvious reasons, Adobe (Because of these EU accusations, blocking built-in PDF reading in Vista, and Acrobat, which is a POS), and Corel (They bought JASC - who made paint shop pro which I use, then they go and buy Intervideo - who make WinDVD which I ALSO use. They have turned both products into crapbuckets.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
I Hated NAV, it was rubbish, it was such a memory hog!, i got rid of it and used AVG Free for a while then i switched to Linux 8)

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM