BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 18h, 2m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5664MB of 10791MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows "Longhorn Server" Named Server 2008        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
Just seen this on WinHEC 2007.

There a Screenshot.

New Name Windows Server 2008

Its even changed on the Beta Program Website

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/beta/lhs/default.mspx

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:38 am 
Donator

Delayed again? I can't believe it!

Just kidding, I totally believe it :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:49 am 
FTP Access

I see from the link that the beta DVD kits are now available, but they're charging for them :cry: I was hoping they'd be free, I'd like one of those for my collection :(

The box for the final product looks cool though, looks like they're using the Vista box for all of their products now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Ordered Enterprise English 32Bit + 64Bit. I've already downloaded these but they look better, and they'll look good next to my Vista Beta 2, RC1 and UK Developer RTM Kits.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:38 am 
FTP Access

It looks as though you have to pay twice if you want 32 and 64 bit too, as far as I can see. Grrr, meanies! :evil: I wonder if they come in a proper box like the Vista kits, or if they're just the disc like the ones for Centro?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:06 am 
Donator

I got I think to say. I am pretty disappoint comparing the Beta 2 and Beta 3 release dates. It was almost a full year between these two builds, and half a year between Vista's RTM Release. The software doesn't suprise me either.
It could be just me who can't find anything new or microsoft is moving too slow.
The name Windows Server 2008 makes me wonder....
and no free discs, that must be microsoft saving money too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:05 am 
FTP Access

XDude wrote:
no free discs, that must be microsoft saving money too.

Like they need to save money... :lol: They can't have spent that much on Zune and Windows Live!

Has much actually changed between Beta 2 and 3 then, or have they spent the last year doing not much?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:21 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
XDude wrote:

Like they need to save money... :lol: They can't have spent that much on Zune and Windows Live!

Has much actually changed between Beta 2 and 3 then, or have they spent the last year doing not much?

I don't know, much I don't see much changes, if i can't remember any changes, then there was no major change, meaning why microsoft is developing vista, they just did nothing with longhorn. Problary some new roles and etc, but then again I didn't install any builds between 5384 and 6001.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
It looks as though you have to pay twice if you want 32 and 64 bit too, as far as I can see.
Yes, you do, but when they did a similar thing for Vista, it was just under twice the price, so factor in that they're posted separately, it works out about the same as it was for Vista. I think they do come in proper cases like they did with vista too.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:19 pm 
FTP Access

I thought Vista was only about £10, £12, something like that, and for that you got both Beta 2 and RC1 boxes, and you got both 32 and 64-bit with each - even that was better value than this I reckon. Is anyone else going to order one of these, I was thinking about getting one for my collection (probably Enterprise 32-bit) but am wondering if it's too expensive to be worthwhile. I do like having the official beta kits though, and it would be nice to have a Server 2008 beta stored (I tend to just delete the public betas after a while rather than use one of my blank discs to keep them, I didn't keep Vista RC2 or anything like that).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:11 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
XDude wrote:

NO, nothing much had changed. By now, I have install 5259, 5270, 5308 and beta 2. I only discover than beta 3 and build 5308 looks almost identical apart from the aero them and UI changes. Only new roles and new addon features are added to the os.
I can say that the amount of changes in 5270 to 5308 is about the same amount from beta 2 to beta 3.
I seriously don't know what happen to microsoft this year.
Point me out if I'm wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:57 am 
Donator

I have so far installed the following Longhorn Server builds: 5112, 5384, 5600, 5728, 5744, 5757 and the various 6001 builds. Apart from some UI changes and the addition of new roles (speaking of the Enterprise Edition here), they all look similar but IMHO the new builds have been getting faster a bit with each release. I remember 5600 was quite buggy on my system and slow, the server wizards crashed multiple times and the later CTP releases were more stable and also faster (just like Vista) than the older builds. I guess to really discover some fundamental differences, you'd need to use it in a real server (i.e. Actrive Directory and stuff) environment.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]