BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 6h, 1m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 1966MB of 2897MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows XP Service Pack 3        Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:24 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
"The company has completely abandoned Windows XP, and it has absolutely no plans to ever ship an XP SP3," Thurrott posted to his Web site on April 6. "My guess is that Microsoft will do what it did with the final Windows 2000 Service Pack: Claim years later that it's no longer needed and just ship a final security patch roll-up. This is the worst kiss-off to any Microsoft product I've ever seen, and you'd think the company would show a little more respect to its best-selling OS of all time."

Last fall, Microsoft admitted that XP SP3 had slipped and was now a 2008 deliverable. If Microsoft were to go a step further and dump XP SP3, such a move wouldn't be too shocking, especially given Redmond's ongoing reticence to commit to Vista SP1 because service packs are passe.

"SP3 for Windows XP Home Edition [and Professional] is currently plannedfor 1H CY2008. This date is preliminary," said a Microsoft spokeswoman.

In other words: At least for now, Microsoft is sticking by the XP SP3 information on its product-lifecycle page.

Anyone else hearing SP3 will (or won't) be a 2008 deliverable?

Windows Service Pack Roadmap

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:46 am 
I'm not too sure Windows XP needs a 3rd service pack, as it is very stable and relatively secure if you have automatic updates. What I would like to see would be SP2.1, which includes all the patches up until recently. This would prevent having to wait a long time for all the updates, and would save bandwidth usage. I think Microsoft should be putting in all their energy to remove all the bugs from Vista so more people can migrate to it.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:00 pm 
wint3rmute wrote:
I'm not too sure Windows XP needs a 3rd service pack, as it is very stable and relatively secure if you have automatic updates. What I would like to see would be SP2.1, which includes all the patches up until recently. This would prevent having to wait a long time for all the updates, and would save bandwidth usage. I think Microsoft should be putting in all their energy to remove all the bugs from Vista so more people can migrate to it.

How would the service pack 2.1 be any different than as if it were labelled
as service pack 3.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:18 pm 
Donator

First of all, I don't think a XPSP3 would really help my copy of windows XP, SP2 made my system running slower than SP1, it gave me more of a headache than anything else.
The orginal SP2 would crash whenever it boots up since it was incompatible with prescott processors. Well, a fix came out shortly, but sp2 wasn't a postive expreience.

I'm notlooking forward to SP3, if it comes it, i'll use it, if it doesn't.
I'm 0% dissapointed.
I hardly even use XP anymore. The 64bit version a better os anyways.
I'm looking forward to XP x64 SP3, SP2 made my my os run alot better.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
wint3rmute wrote:

The purpose of Service Packs is really for computer techs. SP2 was a godsend when it came out - imagine having to update EVERY SINGLE PC that came into your shop, by hand. Automatic updates prior to SP2 didn't fully work (hell, it still doesn't quite work on some machines).

I work in a computer shop, and see about 20 computers a week, up to 1/4 of those machines still run something other than XP SP2. I feel Microsoft should at least release an SP3 for people like me... at the moment, there's 256 patches available since SP2 - That's a lot of patches... possibly more than what SP2 was composed of - it totals somewhere around 400MB worth of stuff. I'd say that it would be in Microsoft's best interest to release a third service pack, especially since Vista is such a steaming pile of [censored].

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista SP1
Microsoft should release IE7, WMP11, VPC2007 and such things in XP SP3.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:00 pm 
FTP Access

Westbalkanian Computing Industry Wastelands
Service Pack 3 would be opportune to release. It's a headache to get all of the updates whenever I install a fresh XP.

Quote:
Microsoft should release IE7, WMP11, VPC2007 and such things in XP SP3.

The first 2 is possible (IF they release SP3), but it's unlikely they'd bundle VPC2007 (the average user don't use that).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
I don't think that they really cared about the XP SP3...Just look at the sample of NT4....They terminated its support and refuse to release SP7 (which they should do at the moment)...And also no Win2000 SP5....

Even if they release SP3 I doubt if I would install it...SP2 really kills my machine already.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:06 am 
FTP Access

Chances are that Microsoft will be too busy fixing/peddling Vista to bother with XP anymore, and they know it... check this out:

Quote:
Earlier this year, Microsoft announced that it would keep supporting Windows XP until April 2009. However, according to a report by APC Magazine, Microsoft plans to phase out the old operating system from pre-built PCs by the start of next year. Microsoft's contracts with PC makers will mandate that the firms sell only Vista machines starting in January 2008.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/12242

They're killing off XP, even though their clients want to keep using it. This isn't surprising from a business point of view, but news like this should make it clear to any optimistic people here that Microsoft wants XP out of the picture, ASAP and with as little effort as possible. They're not going to make an SP3 with new features -- their goal is to make XP appear obsolete, and Vista to appear more attractive.

As for a final roll-up service pack... AFAIK, Microsoft didn't even do that for it's *server* line of systems w.r.t. both NT4 and W2K. Can't see them bothering with home/workstation users, who have relatively little individual power to influence Microsoft's actions. While there are 3rd party solutions (Autopatcher, RyanVM), it's still a really pathetic history of customer service that is unlikely to change.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]