BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 4h, 39m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 1798MB of 3215MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Office 2008 for Mac private beta has begun        Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 pm 
Donator

ImageMicrosoft has begun private Office 2008 testing

Microsoft has started private testing of the next version of Office for the Macintosh, which is due out in the second half of the year.

Office 2008 for Mac, as the product is known, helps bring the desktop suite back into compatibility with two key technologies. First, the product is the first version of Office that runs natively on both Intel- and Power PC-based Macs. The new software also adds support for the XML file formats that Microsoft added to the Windows version of Office--Office 2007, which hit store shelves in January.

Microsoft did not say how many people are taking part in the private beta or whether it will have a public test version, but a representative said Friday that the company is still on track to have the final product out sometime in the second half of the year.

While the biggest changes in Office 2008 are the compatibility moves, Microsoft has detailed several new features. One is a program called My Day, which gives users quick access to calendar information without requiring them to first go into the Entourage e-mail program.

Also on tap are improved page layout controls in Word and new Excel templates, called ledger sheets, which allow users to handle tasks like producing invoices without having to create or understand the underlying formulas.

Source

Last edited by Andrew on Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:49 pm 
Donator

Looks good, the older version are sometimes a pain to use in Rosetta...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:09 pm 
Donator

Could you PM me a link to a screenshot or upload one to the BetaArchive Image Uploader? I'm interested in seeing what the UI is like...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:47 pm 
Donator

ChasingVertigo wrote:
Could you PM me a link to a screenshot or upload one to the BetaArchive Image Uploader? I'm interested in seeing what the UI is like...

I dont think that leak yet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:08 am 
Donator

I know these are low-res, but the article with them didn't have any better quality ones:

So it's sort-of ribbonish.

Source

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:19 am 
Donator

Hmm, the UI does not look that good in my eyes. I think the blue-ish ribbon look doesn't mix well with the white/silver Aqua-style. I hope this will be fixed in the final release...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:59 am 

yup, its more of rubbish than ribbonish :D
microsoft never really goes well with mac.

nice find tho :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:32 pm 
FTP Access

I agree with every body else, the colour scheme does not match does it now? Also a question, why would they try to make the ribbon anyways? I mean the Mac revolves around menus, from what I experienced using MacOSX is that it is very menu intensive...

edit: that sounded stupid, what I'm trying to say is that the ribbon would not match the Mac. Not because users like wadding through menus

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:52 pm 
Donator

Oh, as for MS and Apple not going well, Office X and 2004 look pretty good actually, better than their Windows counterparts. But this Office 2008 ribbon look matches Vista, not OS X. I hope this will be changed or it will at least be an option to disable it (although I doubt that).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:06 am 
FTP Access

There's some much bigger screenshots of the new Mac Office, mainly Word, here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:26 am 
Donator

Thanks, seeing them in that size, I have to admit it doesn't look that bad, but I'd prefer it much more if the ribbon thing was in a silver or graphite color, not this Vista-ish blue...

Finally an Universal Office, as Office X and 2004 which I am using within Rosetta (for the very rare occasions that OpenOffice doesn't suit my needs) tend to get slow when doing hefty things, even on 2GB of RAM...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:34 am 
FTP Access

those screenshots are much better, it makes Office 2008 look better. Though, in my opinion that is a lot of wasted screen space in Office 2008. You have a row of icons, then a menu, then another row of big icons. Does anyone else think that is quite a bit of space gone? On my PC, using Office XP (in my opinion the best version of office :P ) I only have 1 very customized usable toolbar to save space. Does anyone else think Office 2008 use a lot of space? Office 2004 was a lot better for the Mac thus far...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:50 am 

lol, i meant vista and osx. i installed this osx theme on vista and yukiddy yukiddy yuk.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:30 pm 
Donator

Thanks for the pictures, it looks nice, but I agree it doesnt suit OSX - it looks way too cluttered IMHO.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:48 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I also agree...

THIS SCHEME IS NICE FOR WINDOWS BUT NOT FOR THE ALOOF MAC INTERFACE.

If they were smart they would add skin support :wink:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:29 pm 
REMOVED
Looks very ribbon to me. i wonder if the beta has been leaked.

Why are ppl so stressed that MS office 2008 wont include VB? i never used that anyway.

Moderator Edit: Please use the BA image uploader for all images.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:32 pm 
good :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]