BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 17h, 38m | CPU: 80% | MEM: 2866MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Wake up to the 'daylight-saving' bug        Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:12 pm 
Staff

Quote:
This year, daylight saving is starting early--a change that could cause Y2K-like headaches for IT professionals, and even for consumers.

Congress decided in 2005 to extend the period of daylight-saving time by three weeks in spring and one in the fall, reasoning that providing more daylight in the early evening would reduce energy use. However, the shift could cause trouble with software set to automatically advance its clock by an hour on the old date, the first Sunday in April, and not on the new date, the second Sunday in March.

"There has been a great deal of speculation of what the impact could be," said M3 Sweatt, chief of staff of Microsoft's customer service team. "For most people, the most apparent issue is that meetings and reminders may appear to be off by one hour."

But Microsoft may be downplaying the risk. Some say those companies that don't pay full attention to the issue are in for a rude awakening.

"We've been aware of the DST changes since late last year. But the tools and patches keep changing, or weren't available, which made it difficult to create a solid plan," said Warren Byle, a systems engineer at an insurance company. "This change might go smoothly for those who are prepared, but I think it will be the 'Y2K that wasn't' for the rest."

The move could impact time-sensitive applications other than calendaring, such as those that process sales orders or keep track of time cards. Gartner, for example, says the bug could lead to incorrect arrival and departure times in the travel industry and result in errors in bank transactions, causing late payments. In addition, trading applications might execute purchases and sales at the wrong time, and cell phone-billing software could charge peak rates at off-peak hours.

On top of that, the effect is expected to be felt around the world: Canada and Bermuda are conforming to the U.S.-mandated change, and time zone shifts have happened in other locales as well.

"It doesn't have to be Y2K to spell trouble for companies and governments," Phil Bond, chief executive of the Information Technology Association of America, said in a statement. "Organizations could face significant losses if they are not prepared."

Microsoft and other software makers have created patches to make their products ready for the switch and have filled Web pages with tips for customers. IT pros and consumers alike have to apply those updates. Otherwise, they will have to deal with electronic clocks that may be off by an hour, for three weeks starting March 11 and again for a week in the fall, when they go back on November 4 instead of October 28.

Dealing with the patches should be straightforward for most consumers. Microsoft released a daylight-saving fix for Windows XP Service Pack 2 on Tuesday, and it is pushing the patch out through the Automatic Updates feature in the operating system. An update is also available for Windows-based cell phones. However, the recently launched Windows Vista doesn't need a patch.

Source
Actual News Source

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:39 am 
FTP Access

Oh nos! Windows 95 will automatically change my time for me on the wrong dates! Damn Microsoft for not supporting me anymore! :)

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:04 am 
Donator

That's nothing. Here, in Israel, they change it almost every year.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:49 pm 
FTP Access

It is actually a big deal for me, not only for PCs (PCs is actually easier install a patch or patch it yourself) but other appliances that are timezone aware like my Palm (which isn't supported anymore) or Gamecube :P (How do you even upgrade or change the BIOS on that thing?) will be stuck and needs to be changed manually.

The examples I used aren't the best, but you get the picture.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:49 am 
Donator

but you only have to changed once or twice a year

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:30 pm 
Donator

Hmm, they did this for the commonwealth games in Australia last year, because the government decided to move daylight savings so it didn't interfere with the games. Stupid trivial sport events...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
The Commonwealth games also resulted in a 6 week term 1 and 14 week Term 2 for schools :(.
That was really annoying because you usually lose the plot at school after 10 weeks and we were still there.

Top  Profile